News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

"They're the Fab Four of golf course design"
« on: December 14, 2007, 09:41:48 AM »
Sorry, I couldn't resist ... this was the tag line for a multi-course golf resort in an ad in a golf magazine I just received.

I'm betting no one can guess who's Ringo unless they have noticed the same ad.  Guesses on the Fab Four are welcome.  Hint:  it's not Kidd, Doak, Coore and Crenshaw, or Macdonald.

Andy Troeger

Re:"They're the Fab Four of golf course design"
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 09:43:42 AM »
The one that jumped to mind was Reynolds Plantation, but I'm not sure I know who designed all their courses...Nicklaus, Engh, Rees, and Cupp?

Jim Franklin

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 09:44:14 AM »
Fazio, Nicklaus, Dye, and Rees Jones. Rees being Ringo.
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 09:45:17 AM »
The one that jumped to mind was Reynolds Plantation, but I'm not sure I know who designed all their courses...Nicklaus, Engh, Rees, and Cupp?

Fazio did their National. Would Engh be Ringo then?
Mr Hurricane

Andy Troeger

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 09:48:17 AM »

Fazio did their National. Would Engh be Ringo then?

I'll leave that one for more brilliant minds than I!  ;D

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 09:51:43 AM »
Tom,

You're not hinting it would be bad to be Ringo, are you  :)
jeffmingay.com

Brad Klein

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 09:54:02 AM »
I like the idea of Cupp as the mop top -- certainly not Engh.

But hold on, maybe it's Barefoot Landing in Myrtle Beach, with their four courses (Fazio, Dye, Love and Norman) that opened simultaneously in 2000 - a debut more auspicious than that night in Feb. 1964 when the Beatles made their first American TV appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show (and I was watching!)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 09:56:40 AM by Brad Klein »

Billsteele

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 09:56:01 AM »
Without Googling, that sounds so Myrtle Beach. I would guess it's the Barefoot Resort at MB with its Dye, Fazio, Norman and Love courses. Dye would be Lennon (more daring and committed to his art, with extended flashes of genius) , Fazio-McCartney (more of a pop/top 40 sensibility), and it's a tough call who of the remaining two would be the quiet one or the one whose parts are re-recorded while he's down the hall.

PThomas

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »
Tom,

You're not hinting it would be bad to be Ringo, are you  :)

anybody with all that money that married Ms. Bach  8)ain't doing too bad!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 10:21:56 AM »
The reason Paul, John and George wanted Ringo in the band was simple - he was the coolest guy in Liverpool! And the only guy they knew at the time with a beard!
jeffmingay.com

PThomas

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 10:34:23 AM »
here's hoping one of our technologically capable GCAers (not me unfortunately) can get some picture of the architects in question posted here with the Beatles' moptop haircuts airbrushed in!

JESII

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 10:37:19 AM »
Brad and Bill beat me to the punch, but I was going to say Barefoot Landing as well...

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 10:42:10 AM »
Brad:  I remember that tv show and I must admit that I saw them live at Shea Stadium.  

archie_struthers

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 10:50:27 AM »

Mr. Doak , does thou ask this with tongue firmly lodged in cheek?

LOL

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 10:52:48 AM »
Brad:  I remember that tv show and I must admit that I saw them live at Shea Stadium.  

Jerry,
I don't think the word "admit" is the correct choice here, given that we are talking about a huge, huge moment in modern culture.

I don't admit that I was on the first row of the 16th tee at ANGC in 1986 when Nicklaus almost holed out; I "boast" about it!  Try it; you'll like it!
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Brad Klein

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 11:27:22 AM »
Sound like material for a quick GCA roll call vote, but given the choice, I would have opted in a heartbeat for Shea Stadium and the Beatles over Jack at ANGC in '86.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 11:32:06 AM »
Ringo would be Norman wouldn't he?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 11:32:16 AM »
Sound like material for a quick GCA roll call vote, but given the choice, I would have opted in a heartbeat for Shea Stadium and the Beatles over Jack at ANGC in '86.

Brad,
Absolutely correct; I just wasn't given the choice!  I was lucky as heck to see one of those!
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

PThomas

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 11:38:24 AM »

i'm SOMEWHAT surprised by it my my initial reaction goes for the Beatles

George Pazin

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 11:45:19 AM »
Sounds kinda The Cliffs-ish to me. Tiger would be Ringo, a later add-on.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Kirk

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 11:45:43 AM »
Well it must be Kidd, Doak, Coore-Crenshaw, and Doak, with a fake beard and hunched over a bit.

I say The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show over Jack, but Jack over the Beatles at Shea Stadium.  Terrible acoustics, undersized amplifiers.

There's a fairly famous story about the Shea Stadium concert where John sort of goes crazy during the performance of "I'm Down".  It is sometimes identified as the beginning of the end of their concert appearances.

"How can you laugh, when you know I'm down?"

JMorgan

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2007, 12:12:10 PM »
So then who are the Stones and who is the Dylan of golf design?

I can think of a few Keef's ....

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2007, 12:19:16 PM »
I am so impressed here with the knowledge of the Fab Four by some of the younger members.
Yes, the Shea concert was probably the beginning of the end for stadium concerts, and yes, John did get a bit silly out there.  Of course being hit by jelly beans didn't sit well with the more serious minded George either.
But maybe Doak doesn't realize in his question, about who is Ringo.  Ringo, the last member, replaced Pete Best.  Thus, who in the golf design business did "Ringo" replace?  Be careful because Pete Best was not a very good drummer.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

JMorgan

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2007, 12:22:11 PM »
I am so impressed here with the knowledge of the Fab Four by some of the younger members.
Yes, the Shea concert was probably the beginning of the end for stadium concerts, and yes, John did get a bit silly out there.  Of course being hit by jelly beans didn't sit well with the more serious minded George either.
But maybe Doak doesn't realize in his question, about who is Ringo.  Ringo, the last member, replaced Pete Best.  Thus, who in the golf design business did "Ringo" replace?  Be careful because Pete Best was not a very good drummer.

Lynn, you beat me to my add edit!

I'll add another one:

Who was Stuart Sutcliffe?

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2007, 12:27:43 PM »
Ringo's real name is Richard Starkey (go Generation X!). Do any contemporary GCA's have an alias? Perhaps Mr. Doak could change his name to something like "The Internal Contourist."
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back