News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Tilley

Dooks pictures
« on: December 14, 2007, 09:06:13 AM »
Some photos from www.golfarchitecturepictures.com

I think this is before the recent restoration but it shows the spectacular scenery pretty well.

jeffwarne

Re:Dooks pictures
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 01:26:39 PM »
Ed,
I haven't been there in 16 years, but...
that looks to me like 18 reasons to skip Tralee...
and perhaps Waterville (over a second round there anyway)

"restoration"?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 01:31:17 PM »
Ed, it has been about five years since I have played there.  I loved pretty much the entire experience.  I am anxious about weeing the changes.  The course looks terrific.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

tlavin

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 01:31:44 PM »
As Dick Enberg might say, "Oh, my!"

Greg Krueger

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 09:05:54 PM »
Ed, thanks for the pictures! I played Dooks in 2005 and really
enjoyed it! Lots of variety & those views!!!!! I highly recommend when in Ireland!

Ed Tilley

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 12:45:19 PM »
Ed,
I haven't been there in 16 years, but...
that looks to me like 18 reasons to skip Tralee...
and perhaps Waterville (over a second round there anyway)

"restoration"?

Restoration was the completely wrong word. In 2006 the redesign of 16 holes was completed by Martin Hawtree. I don't know anyone who has played the 'new course' but I have seen some positive reviews.

I would play Dooks over Waterville, which I didn't quite get. I did love Tralee, although it was a ridiculously unfair course, but Dooks is much better value for money.

Re the scenery I have read, in typical Irish logic, that the only way to describe it is 'indescribable in every direction'

Anyway some more pictures from the Dooks website.

David Stamm

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 06:00:05 PM »
Ed, thanks for posting these. I remember reading a travel book by Robert Armstrong (?) and how much he loved this course. I seem to remember him saying that he wasn't that impressed with Waterville and thought Dooks was the better option. In any case, when I finally make it there, this will be on my to do list.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

J_ Crisham

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 11:56:16 PM »
Ed, Great post! Ihave fond memories of Dooks. Very engaging membership. The 18th is one of a kind!

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 06:49:33 PM »
Ed,

Thanks very much for these pictures of Dooks, one of my very favorite places.

I had heard from friends in Ballybunion that Hawtree did a nice job, so I'll have to be sure to have a look on my next trip over.
Tim Weiman

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 10:33:58 PM »
Hi Tim, nice to see you are still hanging in there!  ;) ;D 8)

Would it be fair to say that much of the Hawtree remodel involved flattening out green contoursand creating more framing in green surrounds?   For those of you that know and seem to love the place, is that a good thing, or part of the remodelling trends that reach for fairness at the loss of character?  
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 10:34:29 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back