News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil Benedict

Anything Near Cambridge, England
« on: November 20, 2007, 10:20:42 AM »
I have to be in Cambridge the first week of December with my son, who will be busy at the university.  I'll pretty much have a day to myself.  Are there any worthwhile courses in the area?

Padraig Dooley

Re:Anything Near Cambridge, England
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 10:32:27 AM »
Phil

Royal Worlington and Newmarket is a 9 hole course near Bury St. Edmunds about 30-40 minutes from Cambridge. It has the reputation of being the best 9 hole in the world. I've been threatening to play it for a long time but never had the time to spare when in the area.
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Phil Benedict

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 10:38:51 AM »
Thanks Padraig.  It's profiled in Courses by Country.  Sounds pretty  good.  Their Web site refers to Ran's unbiased review.  Ran is a force in the golf world, isn't he?

http://www.royalworlington.co.uk/course.html
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 10:45:27 AM by Phil Benedict »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 11:59:51 AM »
I've yet to play Worlington and I certainly want to.  However it's about the only 'classic' course where Jim Finegan suggests it's reputation is overblown. Comparing his write up with Ran's might be fun.

Other 'hidden gem' courses within an hour and a bit. Luffenham Heath, Kings Lynn, Aldeburgh, Felixstowe Ferry, Thorndon Park and (not really hidden) Woburn.

Check the AA website for times to get around but you are certainly within striking distance of Hunstanton and Royal West Norfolk, both well worth a visit.

Have a great trip

http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/planner_main.jsp

http://www.uk-golfguide.com/

« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 12:08:59 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 12:06:33 PM »
How about Gog Magog?  I've never played there, but I love the name.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 12:13:57 PM »
Gog Magog has a strong local reputation and yes a wonderful name.  They were Giants form the days of yore.

Another great name John O’Gaunt, but based on my experience in summer there’s no way I’d go there in December.  Nice enough course.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 12:14:09 PM »
Rich

I've played Gog Magog but it was 20+ years ago in a junior event.  I bet it's pretty good particularly high up in the middle of the course where it had a moorland feel.

I wonder about Royston?
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Mark Pearce

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 12:48:30 PM »
I've only been to Worlington once, on an East Anglian Tour which took in Hunstanton and Brancaster.  I'd go back to Hunstanton and Brancaster like a shot. Other than the 5th I didn't find Worlington memorable and wouldn't be in a hurry to return.  I've always assumed this was because my judgment was deficient, seeing as how everyone else thinks it's great.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 03:02:39 PM »
Rich

I've played Gog Magog but it was 20+ years ago in a junior event.  I bet it's pretty good particularly high up in the middle of the course where it had a moorland feel.

I wonder about Royston?

If that's near Royston Vesey, you'd never catch me dead around there....

Ben Stephens

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 03:37:07 PM »
Phil,

This is near my territory. I must admit that this area of England is a bit thin on the no. of outstanding golf courses in terms of total no. of golf courses.

My dad has played Gog Magog - he said its ok not special.
I have played John O Gaunt - I would say its an average golf course thats overrated. Royal Worlington is great fun but I still have question marks about it being a great golf course

If you want to play a high quality GCA standard course - I would suggest Woodhall Spa (2hrs drive one way) or Hunstanton/Brancaster (1.5hrs drive one way) all would be in my top 10 that I have played.

Other good courses that I have played which I would  suggest to play that is outside Cambridge at a reasonable distance is

Peterborough Milton a course designed by James Braid. website link - http://www.club-noticeboard.co.uk/peterboroughmilton/

Northants County designed by Colt/Braid - http://www.countygolfclub.org.uk

Luffenham Heath by Braid where I used to be a member - http://www.luffenhamheath.co.uk/

Kings Lynn by Alliss/Thomas - www.club-noticeboard.co.uk/kingslynn/

The following I have not played but would like to

Thetford Golf Club - http://www.club-noticeboard.com/thetford

Purdis Heath by Braid - http://www.ipswichgolfclub.com

Aldeburgh Golf Club by Colt/Alison - http://www.aldeburghgolfclub.co.uk - its quite far away from Cambridge.

Ben

Richard Pennell

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 03:57:02 PM »

...you'll never leave...
"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 06:01:00 PM »
Phil

Royal Worlinngton is the obvious choice to garner your own opinion as would be say Woburn ?

Using the "upto 2 hour drive" principle as a guide - as others -have mentioned a trip to Woodhall Spa, Brancaster or Hunstanton or say an Aldeburgh could be on the cards ?

Jon Earl

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 04:34:42 AM »

...you'll never leave...

...a local course for local people. There's nothing for you there.
Splosh! One of the finest sights in the world: the other man's ball dropping in the water - preferably so that he can see it but cannot quite reach it and has therefore to leave it there, thus rendering himself so mad that he loses the next hole as well.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 09:44:32 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.  Not sure what I'll do since I don't know what the weather will be like or what our schedule is.  Worlington is probably the most convenient and it is the home course of the University, but the chance to play links golf at Hunstanton is pretty compelling.

A number of these courses allow foursomes and singles only.  I interpret this to mean that every group plays two balls only, so if you want to play your own ball you go off as a twosome.  Am I interpreting this correctly?

As an aside, I find it interesting that English golf courses enforce rules to speed play which would be unacceptable on the American golf scene.  I thought we were supposed to be the society in a hurry.

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 10:06:52 AM »
Phil

A word of caution, coming back down the A10 from Kings Lynn way can be troublesome at times.  The A11/14 are much better roads to travel if you are looking to push your luck to dark and head back to Cambridge for a meal.  

Two ball rules do mean exactly that, two balls in play be it foursomes or singles.  I would recommend making a tee time even if in doubt - assuming there is no deposit required.  It is always possible to bail if the weather isn't kind.  Finally, ask the clubs which days and times there are throwups.  Playing in one of these informal dooz can be very rewarding.  I know that Hunstanton members have been very kind to me when showing up as a single.  

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 12:14:39 PM »
Phil:

I can be counted as one of the big fans of Royal Worlington & Newmarket, and the soil there is sandy, so it's probably okay to play in the winter unless it's snowy.

However, if you want to tackle a links, the choice is Brancaster (Royal West Norfolk).  Hunstanton is a very good course, but Brancaster is a great experience and nothing like you've seen before.  It's a little bit complicated, because the course is cut off from the mainland at high tide, so you'll need to check with the Secretary what times will work for access.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 12:23:33 PM »
Tom's right.  If choosing between Hunstanton and Brancaster then Brancaster wins hands down.  It's a wonderful place and the sense of history is tangible.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 12:25:10 PM by Mark Pearce »
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 01:57:18 PM »
According to Google maps Brancaster is less than an hour from the hotel I am staying in and 20 minutes closer than Hunstanton.  I drive an hour to play at my home course so Brancaster is sounding like a real possibility if the weather cooperates.  I hate to get stranded by the tides on some gloomy English day, though.  Sounds like a plot line from a PD James novel.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 03:02:03 PM »
Phil Ran has a review in the courses by country and I have fond memories of a day this February.  Only driving rain or the bitterest cold could spoil a day here.  I think its one of those winter links where a certain bleakness adds to the atmosphere.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=28076;start=msg538751#msg538751

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2007, 06:57:59 AM »
I agree with much of what is said above and I love Royal Worlington. They will let you play on your own - I have done so. I have done so also at Royal West Norfolk and at Aldeburgh, although you have no standing. Any of these is excellent in winter - possibly even better in winter than in a dry summer (certainly the case at Aldeburgh).  Aldeburgh may look close on the map but it takes longer than you think to get there, even from Ipswich! Gog Magog is excellent winter golf, very free draining. There are two courses, and the old has quite a few period features - a dell green, cross bunkers, and so on. The views are good.

If you are into PD James, then you might also be into MR James, in which case you have to play Felixstowe Ferry, where his O Whistle and I'll Come to you my Lad was based. It was also a Darwin course, although I don't suppose he'd recognise it today. It's fun.

A word of caution: that part of the country bristles with speed cameras and radar traps, especially the A14 which has the deadly average speed cameras. Stick to the speed limits.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 04:50:16 PM »
After much deliberation, I decided on Hunstanton and played there today.  I chose Hunstanton because it is a links course; it seemed very visitor friendly; and I didn't want to deal with the tides at Brancaster.

Playing with rental clubs, I had a blast.  The temperature was above 50 fahrenheit and it didn't rain.  The club secretary fixed me up with a 19-year old kid named Alex who was a pleasure to play with.  He's two-years older than my son; was interested in America and seemed to be perfectly willing to let to me pontificate.  A perfect partner.

I thought the course was difficult with relatively tight driving areas for such a windy site, particularly the back 9.  At the start of the round Alex said that the wind was moderate but after a few holes he allowed that the breeze was pretty stiff and coming from something other than the normal direction.  For those of you who are familar with the course, the wind was favoring on most of the outgoing holes and against on the inbound holes.  There were a couple of 450-yard par 4's coming in that played really long.  On one of them, 17, I was pin high with a driver/3-wood.  I can't remember the last time I needed a 3-wood after a good drive on a par-4.  On the other hand, on a downwind par 5 on the front side where you lay up off the tee because the hole crosses a road, I was pin-high after hitting 5-iron/3-wood.

By American country club standards the course is not in great shape, but it was more than playable and American country club standards are warped.  Alex said the course used to have famously good greens but had messed them up by overseeding a few years ago and now there were two many grass types in the greens.  I wouldn't say the conditions were fast and firm but it's December, after all.

Until today I had never played a links course and the experience wets my appetite for more.  It's just so pure being out there confronting the elements.  The course has some quirk such as a blind par 3, but nothing that I thought was over-the-line.  Aside from the wind, the hardest part of the course for me was picking the proper line even if the shot wasn't blind per se.  The fairway and rough sort of blends together visually.  I was told that the rough was pretty benign at this time of year but, while I only lost one ball, I found recovering from the rough challenging.  On one par 5 I drove into the left rough and hit the next three shots left as well because my club kept turning over in the rough.

Thanks to everybody who responded to this thread.  Without this resource I doubt that I would have found Hunstanton.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2007, 08:02:51 AM »
Phil, I'm glad you liked it. I'm lucky enough to have a friend who is a member so I get to play it from time to time.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back