News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

The GCA 18
« on: November 19, 2007, 08:34:32 PM »
In the manner of Architects Golf Club in New Jersey... pick a GCA poster and design a hole based on their persona, both on and offline.

Let's keep it light and not get too personal, though something tells me that the Pat Mucci hole may be a bit overwatered to make it GREEN.

I think Ran would make an ideal opening hole as a mid length par 4 with some thoughtful, yet not terribly difficult, features. Perhaps a slight fall away green with a bunker guarding the approach about 30 yards short of the green.

Joe Bausch should get credit for the original idea, but I decided to throw it to the wolves as it were.

Have at it.

Kyle Harris

Re:The GCA 18
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 08:42:53 PM »
I see Tom Paul as a hole in the middle of the back nine, perhaps 14 or 15. He's on the low part of the property, with a creek down the right hand side that cross near the front of the green and flanks it to the left. It's a flatter hole, with a slightly elevated tee and a green that favors an approach from near the creek. A lay up can be had by crossing the creek short right of the green, or pin high left of the creek. Not sure why, but I'm not seeing any bunkers on this hole and my vision of it is on an overcast and slightly foggy day.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 08:47:37 PM »
I see Tom Paul as a hole in the middle of the back nine, perhaps 14 or 15. ...

You know that Rees hole Cirba keeps posting the aerial of and finally went and played. That's the Tom Paul hole.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 08:48:39 PM »
I see Tom Paul as a hole in the middle of the back nine, perhaps 14 or 15. ...

You know that Rees hole Cirba keeps posting the aerial of and finally went and played. That's the Tom Paul hole.

Ha! Good old Falcon's Fire... actually, there's a hole very similar to the one I described there... cept in Florida the whole property is the low flat part of the property.

Unless you're in Brooksville.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 08:50:35 PM »
Which reminds me...

Garland Bayley is a 200 yard uphill par 3 to a blindish green where only the flag stick is visible.

"Short side and die" is the name of the game as the green is tricky to pitch to from the short side and guarded by a left flanking bunker . It's a draw friendly green, but don't overcook the hook.

Also, Garland, your hole has no trees and is a skyline green. I think you'd make a wonderful appetizer to the Pat Mucci hole...

James Bennett

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 09:36:57 PM »
The 15th hole would be for ex-GCA poster, Bill Vostinak.  About 200 yards par 3.  Flat ground, to a raised fortress green with fronting mounds.  Deep bunkers, green falling away and to the left favouring a draw, green surface not visible from the tee, etc etc etc.

You know the hole I am talking about.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 09:38:54 PM »
Kyle,

You would be a practice area across the street only used for large corporate outings on Mondays.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 10:08:57 PM »
Mucci would be a stern two-shotter somewhere on the back nine.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 10:11:03 PM »
Mucci would be a stern two-shotter somewhere on the back nine.

Nah...no way, Michael.   ;D

The Mucci hole would be a hole that seemed inpenetrable, protective of every potential shot the player might try, vexing, intimidating, and visually startling, yet would play like a pussycat!   ;D ;D ;D

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 10:19:19 PM »
The Tommy Naccarato hole would have both the Windmill and the Clown and use so much electricty that it would keep tripping the circuit breaker!

Love you Sparky!

Bill Brightly

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 10:59:50 PM »
He is the Road Hole.

Both are full of golf history.

Both are worthy of being copied.

The Road Hole starts with a blind shot
He starts with a blind spot (Macdonald)

Both are hard to approach and you get in real trouble if you are not careful.

Wayne Morrison is the Road Hole!

Kyle Harris

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 03:27:37 PM »
Kyle,

You would be a practice area across the street only used for large corporate outings on Mondays.

Good, because then I would double as the turf nursery used to patch up all the problems with the other holes.

;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back