News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

tlavin

Winter Golf
« on: November 09, 2007, 11:56:31 AM »
Who among us is TRULY into winter golf?  My good friend Richard Schneider plays every Sunday, all year long, here in Chicago.  His group plays at Cog Hill come rain or come shine, come blizzard or ice storm.  They were profiled in the New York Times last year.  Ironically enough, the day the reporter caught up with them, Schneider missed his only week of the winter.  Because his wife delivered a baby the night before!

I won't play in the snow, the slush or the sleet.  What about you?

Tom Huckaby

Re:Winter Golf
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 12:09:43 PM »
How is winter all that different than summer?  Oh, I guess it might rain, and odds are one has to wear a sweater or wind shirt.. likely long pants instead of shorts... ball doesn't travel quite as far perhaps... but outside of that, what's the problem?

OHHHHH, I get it... not everyone lives in California....

Poor guys.  This whole concept of golf seasons... it's strange to me.

;D

Phil Benedict

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 12:11:36 PM »
I don't get playing in snow.

Are Cog Hill's greens open year round?  Many places in the East go on temporary greens.  Once that happens I have no interest in playing a course.  I'd just as soon go to a range.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 12:12:23 PM »
I play throughout the year if possible.  My minimum requirements: 40° and not super windy.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Bart Bradley

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 12:12:26 PM »
Sure, I'll play in the winter....in Florida, Hawaii, Southern Californian.... ;)

Honestly, if I can't feel my hands, golf loses its general appeal...One time, when I was a medical resident, I got so golf hungry I went out with a buddy to a driving range in subzero temps and had a long drive contest....man the balls went a long way on the frozen ground and ice.....
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 12:12:56 PM by Bart Bradley »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 12:15:55 PM »
I play all winter and love it more than summer golf.  I seem to even take winter golf trips with in 2007 an April trip to Colorado and a November trip to Wisconsin.  To me it is like skiing without all the falling down.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 12:16:25 PM »
I used to play year round but stopped when my eldest son started playing soccer on a Saturday and rugby on a Sunday.  Not enough light in the day to watch him and play.  Now his soccer has moved to Sunday and his school doesn't play rugby every Saturday, I'll play some winter golf this year but not every week.  I won't play in snow or heavy rain but there's nothing better than a crisp, cold, clear winter's morning.  Well, apart from a warm sunny day, I guess.....
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Brad Swanson

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 12:16:36 PM »
I usually lose interest around October.  I played into the 3rd week of October this year, which is the latest in the season I think I've ever played.  I'm not crazy about having to bundle up too much to play.

Cheers,
Brad

Tim Pitner

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 12:24:46 PM »
I'll play in the winter in Colorado, but I won't go much below 45 degrees and that's assuming little wind and sunshine.  I like playing in a sweater, but when you have to put on an additional layer and winter gloves, it's just not as much fun.  Perfect golf conditions in Denver today--70 degrees, firm ground . . .

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 12:28:33 PM »
Thanks to all who have and will post on the annual thread for reminding me of why I live in Georgia.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 12:35:46 PM »
Thanks to all who have and will post on the annual thread for reminding me of why I live in Georgia.

Have a drink on us...Just don't shower, wash your car or drink on the same day.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 12:37:11 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Peter Zarlengo

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 12:36:08 PM »
Around this time of year was my favorite time to play in Colorado.  I could ski a half day in the morning on what little was open at the closer resorts and make it down to Denver for nine holes in the afternoon.  Perfect day.

Evan_Smith

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 12:38:06 PM »
I've played in the snow more times than I'd like to admit (even in Pinehurst!!!).  For me, as long as it's not cold and windy, or cold and rainy, I'm fine .  I've played many times where the air temp was below freezing and all you have to do is dress for it.  I do remember playing at Snowshoe in WV in the snow for a college practice round.  I had so many clothes on that I could barely get through the ball.  I lost 7 balls in 9 holes, 6 of them were brand new and hit once!  I'm glad I wasn't paying for them!!!  By the time we got to the 8th hole it was snowing so hard it was tough to see the greens from 100 yards.  Needless to say, the tournament was cancelled.  I never did see the back nine of that course!

Mark Smolens

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 12:44:22 PM »
The greens on Cog Hill's ## 1 and 3 courses are indeed open all year round (and there are several other courses that stay open all year as well).  And if all of the carts with covers are out, I have one in the trunk, along with two Cartcat propane heaters -- they fit right into the cupholders.  At the Eskimo Open three years ago the windchill was -17 degrees.  There were actually several groups walking and playing in that.  ??? In our covered carts, the temp. was about 55 degrees.  Get out, hit your shot, jump back in.  The course plays like a links course when it's completely frozen. . . lots of bump and runs for 50 yards.  Still golf (kinda), and definitely still better than sitting on the couch or beating balls into a net or a dome.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 12:52:02 PM »
 I'm with Shivas on this one, but only this one time.  ;D

As long as its 20 or above and not too windy, I'm good to go.  Below 20 it just gets too darn cold....

Benefits of playing winter golf though:

-  Uncrowded golf courses allowing for fast play, playing two balls, or taking pics.
-  Fast and firm.  When it 25 outside and the ground is frozen, holding a small green with a SW requires good shot making.  In addition, don't have to fix those pesky ball marks on the greens.  ;)
-  Green fees are often reduced, of course in Utah everything is inexpensive already and the bargains just get that much better.
-  Hot chocolate always tastes better when its 30 degrees instead of 70.
-  Even on hard to walk courses, its usually worth the walk if for no other reason than to keep the blood pumping and stay warm.

John Foley

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 12:52:15 PM »
I love this time of year for golf. Actually was thinking if I scheduled my day better today I could have walked 9 at lunch!!

As lon as the snow doesn't accumulate we 'll play as long in winter as possible. last few years we've done a round between Xmas & New Years pretty easy.

Playing this Monday and can't wait.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 12:54:31 PM »
How is winter all that different than summer?  Oh, I guess it might rain, and odds are one has to wear a sweater or wind shirt.. likely long pants instead of shorts... ball doesn't travel quite as far perhaps... but outside of that, what's the problem?

OHHHHH, I get it... not everyone lives in California....

Poor guys.  This whole concept of golf seasons... it's strange to me.

;D

Indeed, Huck.

The joys of the Est SF Bay:
When the Livermore is over 90 degrees, I head west for 20 minutes where it's 70-75 degrees. When Livermore is blow 50 degrees, I head west for 20 minutes where it's 60-65 degrees. In Spring and Autumn I stay put where its 65-85.

But I do play in the occasional shower. ;)

I'm not sure how you North Easterners cope...
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 12:59:18 PM »
I'm kind of curious.  A few of the comments made seem to suggest that they allow you on the course when its got snow on it?  I've never found a course that allowed golfers to play when its got a fair amount of standing snow.  Sure a patch here and there in a bunker is no big deal, but how do you putt when the greed has got a couple inches of snow on it?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 12:59:59 PM by Kalen Braley »

Phil Benedict

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 01:00:31 PM »

-  

My father's preferred libation for winter golf outings was ginger brandy.  Yuck!

Mark Smolens

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 01:00:49 PM »
Shivas, not since college.  Back then they pins were different sizes, so if you weren't careful you'd think the hole was 190 yards away, when it was actually only 165 (guess that 4 was a little too much?).  Next season the Weekly Challenge Golf Tour is going to have a three-club event there.

BCrosby

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 01:05:05 PM »
The best part about winter golf in the SE is not the mild temps (though that's a very good thing).

It's that you get to play a different course. The Bermuda goes dormant, fw's firm up, balls roll to different spots and greens get very fast. You have to rethink how to play your home course.

Bob

Kalen Braley

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 01:06:21 PM »

-  

My father's preferred libation for winter golf outings was ginger brandy.  Yuck!

Sounds nasty.  

Here in Utah you can't get any hard liquor on any courses I'm aware of just that 4% swill they call beer.

But I suppose you can always sneak in a hip flask or something aye?

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 01:14:35 PM »
I play all winter and love it more than summer golf.  I seem to even take winter golf trips with in 2007 an April trip to Colorado and a November trip to Wisconsin.  To me it is like skiing without all the falling down.

John,

Now I get it, it is not a pose that you show we GCA'ers but you really are truly weird.  ;)

Bob

JeffTodd

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 01:15:26 PM »
While I don't necessarily look forward to winter golf, it has certain advantages and appeal. I enjoy the social aspects of golf, but at the same time I enjoy the solitude that can be found on the golf course, and it can be found in bunches during the winter months. The game takes on entirely new nuances in winter, both in the way it's played and enjoyed.

I was just talking with a fellow member about a round we played at Lido last December. From standing in the middle of fairways having discussions about golf or life, to leaving at the turn in order to get a sandwich without fear of losing our place on the course since there was only one other twosome playing that day; these are things you simply can't do in season, particularly on a public course.

Winter golf has a much more laid back element to it. Keeping score is truly pointless, and any match you might play certainly has a goofy element to it. For this self-confessed card and pencil golfer, winter is a great time to get back to basics.

I'm not sure of my limit, although when the greens freeze so hard that shots can bounce as high as the trees after impact, it does tend to cross the line for me. Otherwise I will try to play as often as possible during the winter months.

Sean_A

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2007, 01:25:41 PM »
Without a doubt I prefer a good day's winter golf to summer golf - in fact I was down at Burnham today - beautiful day it was.  I don't mind any sort of weather except rain - ugh.  In fact, the winter is when I hunt out the good deals.  I am up to Formby in a week or so for £40.  I am also in charge of finding good winter venues for Fridays.  I strongly suspect we will hit Huntercombe, Notts and Whittington Heath (maybe even Temple) shortly.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back