News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

longest waiting list
« on: October 23, 2007, 12:04:13 PM »
I don't know how or why I was looking at Radrick Farms at the U of MI but noticed that the wait list for alumni is between 20-25 years!!

http://www.umich.edu/~radrick/passes.html

The only wait I know that is longer is when I get into Augusta National.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ken Moum

Re:longest waiting list
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 12:11:09 PM »
I think your math is about as good as mine...

No.1 on the Alumni list is from 1995, that's 12 years.

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Jason Connor

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 12:59:24 PM »
I played Radrick for the first time earlier this month and thought it was great.  Though I preferred (and fell in love with) UM's Mackenzie course.

I live 0n another early Pete Dye course (#7 of Harbour Trees) so it was fun seeing Radrick which was from the same time period.

But I too had noticed that wait when I was checking out the course website before my Michigan trip.  Wow!

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 01:00:33 PM »
I was on the list at Radrick for something like 14 years before my name came up!  I am now back near the bottom because I chose not to take my spot.  Life in the fast lane........

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 05:20:08 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 01:05:22 PM »
i was told 8 years for one club in Chicago
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Dan Boerger

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 01:09:51 PM »
I can't imagine there is even a wait list at Augusta National. You are invited or not when you are considered.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 01:10:07 PM »
Sankaty Head was something like 15 years a couple of years ago.

Bob

David Mulle

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 01:56:28 PM »
One of the amazing things about Radrick is not only how long the waitlist is but also how many active members there are.

When I was in law school there I played with a number of people who were members at Radrick but were playing the MacKenzie course that day because there weren't any tee times available at Radrick.  

Personally, I agree with Jason.  I really enjoyed Radrick but I prefer the MacKenzie course.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 02:02:34 PM »
When Rick Shefchik got into Stillwater (Minn.) Country Club, this year -- after being on the waiting list for about 15 years -- it was an above-the-fold front-page story in the Stillwater newspaper!

Well, actually, that's a little misleading; the story was about the club's amazingly long and enduring waiting list (the golf course is a lot of fun, and the price is extremely right); the reporter led with the most recent new members, who happened to be Mr. Shefchik and his wife (a fanatical golfer in her own right).

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Eric Franzen

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 02:20:49 PM »
Stockholm GK is around 60 years if no one in the family already belongs.
Falsterbo is around 40 to 50 years.

Cheers,

Eric

JESII

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 02:27:58 PM »

Cheers,

Eric

?

This seems to imply that there are actually people on the list...is that possible?

I didn't realize life expectancy was so much longer in Scandanavia...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 02:28:52 PM by JES II »

Eric Franzen

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 03:04:42 PM »

Cheers,

Eric

?

This seems to imply that there are actually people on the list...is that possible?

I didn't realize life expectancy was so much longer in Scandanavia...

The waiting list is open for these clubs. Anyone can sign up for a small fee. So there are thousands of people on each list with only 10 -15 spots or so becoming available for each year.

There are ways around it, like honorary memberships or having someone in the family that belongs.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 03:07:31 PM by Eric Franzen »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 03:34:38 PM »
Eric:  Thanks for sharing that.  It's one of the more interesting case studies I've heard -- talk about a cultural difference!

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 04:33:11 PM »

I strongly discourage any of my clubs from having a formal waiting list as it can only lead to trouble.  

The best answer to Q. "how long is the wait?"

is always, "whose asking".

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 04:41:35 PM »
Actually, the best answer would be, "Who's asking."

Dan Kelly

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 04:47:37 PM »
Actually, the best answer would be, "Who's asking."

Or maybe "Who's asking?"
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 06:56:19 PM »
The toughies over in the UK often tend not to have a waiting list but let members know when they are accepting applications.

Rumour has it the HCEG is not taking some people who get to the top of their 19 year'ish waitlist if they are over a certain age.

Marylebone Cricket Club is around 22 years for full membership.
Cave Nil Vino

TEPaul

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 07:21:10 PM »
I've been waiting to get into Cypress for about 47 years.

wsmorrison

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2007, 07:24:34 PM »
Mark,

I played golf with a bunch of great guys from the golfing society of Marylebone Cricket Club this Summer.  I don't recall asking them, so does the Marylebone Cricket Club have its own golf course?  These guys were all members of various clubs in England and Scotland, but never did mention a club course.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2007, 07:39:51 PM »
Insert Bob Hope CPC membership-drive joke here.

Mark, last year I washed cars at a fund raiser with other dads and fell into conversation with an Aussie I knew, but only a little.  We talked about this and that and he let on that he'd just gotten into "MCC."  I then congratulated him on getting into Melbourne Cricket Club at which point he went a little bonkers and said no no no it's Marylebone Cricket Club.

I could tell this was going to be fun, so I told him I'd never heard of it and did he join because it was less strenuous than joining "MCC --  I mean, Melbourne Cricket Club?"

Surprise surprise, that earned me a 30-minute answer that ranged well beyond the real MCC, but unfortunately remained wholly and soporifically on the history of cricket....

Mark

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2007, 08:30:15 PM »
i was told 8 years for one club in Chicago

Sorry buddy, turn that sideways and you got the truth.

I was told the same thing when I called St. Louis CC back when I was a naive sportster myself.  I do think it is nice when "guests" inquire about memberships.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2007, 08:37:59 PM »
about 8 years ago I know Westhampton's list was over 25 years b/c there was a party for a guy on his 50th B-Day at the club to celebrate two things: 1) half a century of living and 2) his getting into the club.  He got on the list right after he graduated college.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2007, 08:42:11 PM »
about 8 years ago I know Westhampton's list was over 25 years b/c there was a party for a guy on his 50th B-Day at the club to celebrate two things: 1) half a century of living and 2) his getting into the club.  He got on the list right after he graduated college.

FYI, they were advertising for members in the Southampton Press in 1990-91. I ignored the ads but they were there. My buddy Greg joined and then left for Westchester CC.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 08:46:23 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2007, 08:49:33 PM »
Football tickets for the Vikings.  They count the waiting list in terms of generations......

Tony Petersen

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2007, 08:55:04 PM »
Fortunately, we've had season tickets to the Vikes since I was an wee lil boy  ;)

My question is do they even have wait-lists for the grand and the greats:

SFGC
CPC
Merion
Pine Valley (The members I know were invited long after showing an interest in the club, but they have never mentioned a list)

Just curious... ;)
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back