News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Liddy

An impressive site
« on: October 11, 2007, 01:49:11 PM »
I am working on a remodel of a golf course in Caesarea, Israel and saw an impressive site today, the lady golf pro (has got to be the only lady golf pro in Israel) giving group lessons to about 30 Israelis.  This is a country with only one 18 hole golf course (which we currently have half closed on a remodel with Mr. Dye). How great is that!  The Head pro told me it is not uncommon for them to have groups every week. It is great to see what a little peace will do.

Tom Huckaby

Re:An impressive site
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 01:51:04 PM »
Tim - never have I been more pleased at a misused/mis-spelled word... here I was figuring I'd read yet another dry account of a site for a golf course... blah blah blah, we've heard it all 1000 times... but instead we get this, which is indeed really cool.

But I think you mean "sight."

;D

Tim Liddy

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 01:56:25 PM »
Thanks Tom. You would not believe me if I said it was intentional would you?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 01:57:27 PM »
Thanks Tom. You would not believe me if I said it was intentional would you?

Actually I would... and I apologize for being so anal... that's really clever!

;D

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 03:10:45 PM »
There just HAS to be the best golf joke ever here.

"Whaddya call 30 Israelis having a group golf lesson?"

My rather pathetic attempt:

"A Bargain!" Oy Vay!

or maybe?:

"Whaddya call 30 Israelis having a group golf lesson?"

"Saint Anjews".

Boy, these are PATHETIC!

Come on, residents of Caddyshackland. You must have better... ;D

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tim Liddy

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 05:10:51 PM »
Martin,
Put the scotch away and call it a night.

Michael Christensen

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 05:13:37 PM »
I was going to question the mention of "peace" in his statement......as the US left says..."one's freedom fighter is another person's terrorist"  ::)

Jordan Wall

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 05:40:34 PM »
This is truly a good thing.

Anything to bring peace to that country is a plus.

Most of my Aunts, Uncles, live in Israel as missionairies and my Grandparents just moved from there so we can take care of them.  Some of the stories I have heard have been truly scary.  Two years ago my Aunt stepped off a bus and watched it explode as it drove away.  That is just scary.

I'm thankful that people like you Tim, can reach out to such a country by something so simple (a golf course).  That course probably does a lot of good for a lot of people in Israel.  My Grandpa used to talk about it, saying how cool it would be for me to travel and play it someday with him watching.  That course, the only one in the country I believe, is an inspiration to many people.

Interesting you are working there.
And thank you.  Really.

I hope the project goes well.
 :)

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 07:44:32 PM »
Tim,
  Ashely got a kick out of how your phone was working in Israel! Where oh where would we be without technology!??!!

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 09:30:18 PM »
Tim:

What is it like working over there?  I've been chatting on and off with a potential client there, but most of my associates are uncertain about spending a few months there.

Mark_F

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 10:42:43 PM »
...but most of my associates are uncertain about spending a few months there.

You should never ask someone to do a job you wouldn't do yourself...

BVince

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 10:50:34 PM »
Tom - Can't speak for Isreal but I have seen Kuwait and Iraq...lets just say I am not in any hurry to get back ;)
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 11:17:44 PM »
Mark:

I wouldn't ask any of my associates to do something I wouldn't do myself.  But it seems I'm more interested by this project than they are, which is why I asked Tim his impressions of the country and the safety factor.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 11:41:31 PM »
Marty, one minute you are on the schnitzel and hops tour at Octobrfest, now you are playing the Borscht Belt comedy tour.  You certainly know how to straddle the great divide...  ;) ;D 8) ::)

This is a country with only one 18 hole golf course (which we currently have half closed on a remodel with Mr. Dye). How great is that!

Tim,
A birdie told some of us recently that the Jordan River area is about to get a golf course.  Can I hear an 'oi y'all!'  ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tim Liddy

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 02:08:30 AM »
Tom,

Sorry I did not reply. I went to bed (6 hours ahead) It is fine.  It is a bit like working in the Caribbean. The people are very friendly and supportive. This is my first experience in working in sand (after working in clay my entire life). Wow, it has made our task much easier. It makes us look better than we are. It so much easier to get natural shapes, a little sand, a little wind and it looks like it has been around forever.  Also no drainage worries.  Irrigation needs to go in as you build to keep the sand in place before grassing.

There are many great ocean front sites here, and with their climate it could become a great destination area for golf.  Of course the problem is one bomb goes off and the tourism drops off for a couple of years.  They have noticed an increase of tourism this year after a peaceful last summer.

You and the boys would be fine.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 08:13:11 AM »
Martin,
Put the scotch away and call it a night.

Actually, I enjoyed Martin's second joke.  

Tim, what do you think of the course you are remodeling?  How good was it before -- and how good will it be when you guys finish?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back