News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Changing ones mind.....
« on: September 26, 2007, 08:59:37 PM »
Over the last couple of years I have strenulously defended the old fifth hole at Pebble Beach as superior to the recent incarnation. I played it again just after the First Tee and I must say I found it to be a delight. Probably not as difficult as the original but esthetically more pleasing. With a firm breeze coming off of Stillwater Cove it is not the pushover that I first thought.

There I have said it, I was wrong. Bread and water for thirty days and a few lashes with a rhinocerus whip should be punishment enough.

Mike_Cirba

Re:Changing ones mind.....
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 09:14:21 PM »
Bob,

I don't think the new 5th is easy, at least from the back tee.

I also thought Nicklaus did a pretty good job making it look like a PB hole, even if it begs for his high fade.

It's just that the original 5th was such a different type of hole...almost unique in some respects, sort of the bastard step-child that you learn to love despite its shortcomings that many of us mourned it's passing.

As you're passing the rhino-whip, send a lash or two my way for coming up with a really weak Kavanaughian simile.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 09:48:22 PM »
No comment, as it is classiest to take one's victories quietly and with aplomb.

I knew you'd come around, Bob.

;D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 09:49:53 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 09:51:13 PM »
Tom,

I don't think Sir Bob actually said it was superior, so I'd toss some serious rhino-lashings your way.

Something about "delight", and "esthically pleasing" and "not a pushover", but he might as well have been talking about Tom Fazio based on those left-handed compliments.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 09:51:38 PM by MikeCirba »

John Kirk

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 09:56:10 PM »
Changing one's mind, and admitting you were wrong, is part of personal growth.  You're really growing, Bob!

John Kirk

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 09:57:37 PM »
Perhaps a second trip around Stone Eagle is merited, when it's not 300 degrees outside.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 09:57:51 PM by John Kirk »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 09:58:04 PM »
Mike:

You do read English, correct?

The man has clearly come around.  It's OK, you too can delay the inevitable, but you can't deny Bob's crystal clear assessment.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 09:59:23 PM »
Perhaps a second trip around Stone Eagle is merited, when it's not 300 degrees outside.

John,

Is that ever the case in Palm Springs any longer?

I'm sitting here north of Philadelphia and it's almost October and it's about 90 degrees outside at 10pm.   :o :-[

Thank God I listen to our President when he tells me that all of those scientists are dead wrong!   ;D

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 10:01:44 PM »
Mike:

You do read English, correct?

The man has clearly come around.  It's OK, you too can delay the inevitable, but you can't deny Bob's crystal clear assessment.

Mr. Huckaby, Sir...

Not since Patrick Mucci and his defense of the Notre Dame football program have I seen such circuitous, hopeful attempts at changing fantastical imaginings into hard evidence.  

;)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 10:06:28 PM »
So now we've resorted to 25 cent words?

Fantastical imaginings?

I'm just reading what the man wrote.  You sir are the deluded one.  

In any case, of course you realize that by equating me to Mucci and Notre Dame, this means war.  You have 5 minutes to take that back or we become mortal enemies.

TH

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 10:13:48 PM »

In any case, of course you realize that by equating me to Mucci and Notre Dame, this means war.  You have 5 minutes to take that back or we become mortal enemies.

TH

Tom,

Wow!

Ok...what if I say the Santa Clara Ponies are football's equivalent to....an understated gem like Jeffersonville....

Can we still converse?   ;)

John Kirk

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 10:16:20 PM »
The Ponies...oooo, that's harsh.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 10:16:43 PM »
I'd take that as a compliment, particularly since Santa Clara does not have a football program.

Just understand that comparisons to Notre Dame any time are distasteful... this year such are grounds for immediate war.  You're lucky  I like you and thus gave you five minutes.

;)

John Kirk

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 10:17:09 PM »
I've changed my mind.  I like "Ponies" better than "Broncos".

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 10:17:32 PM »
The Ponies...oooo, that's harsh.

Not harsh at all... we call our teams that ourselves from time to time.  I'm proud of Mike.

;)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 10:18:27 PM »
I've changed my mind.  I like "Ponies" better than "Broncos".

Just remember we had it long before those interlopers from Denver.

And just so we can be on equal footing here if you want to battle... what school did you attend, pray tell?

John Kirk

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »
Cal Aggies, but we used to be "Mustangs".

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 10:20:19 PM »
John Kirk,

Too funny...   ;D

Huck,

No football program????????  

Then what are all those very butch women doing matriculating there??!   :o

;D

ok...I couldn't resist.  

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 10:23:02 PM »
Mike:
You can't possibly insult Santa Clara women more than each of Benham, Pieracci and I already have.  And we say that having each married one.

John:
Aha.  It all becomes clear.  It's envy.  That's cool, we're used to that.

TH

John Kirk

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 10:24:27 PM »
A proud product of the public school system.  What was this thread about anyway?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2007, 10:27:33 PM »
Fair enough, good answer.

;D

This thread was about how Mr. Huntley has come around and realized the superiority of the new 5th at Pebble, that is until Mike the spin doctor arrived.

;D

Daryl David

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2007, 10:32:58 PM »

John,

Is that ever the case in Palm Springs any longer?

I'm sitting here north of Philadelphia and it's almost October and it's about 90 degrees outside at 10pm.   :o :-[

Thank God I listen to our President when he tells me that all of those scientists are dead wrong!   ;D

Not sure about the President, but everyone should have been in the desert this last weekend.  Temps in the 70s an low 80s with 20% humidity.  Delightful!  Of course it is now back up to high 90s.  You need to have good timing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back