News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Pasatiempo's 17th
« on: August 29, 2007, 05:47:27 PM »
I've heard from a reliable source that work is commencing on the 17th at Pasa. Perhaps Mr Doak or Mr Urbina can confirm this and give us some details.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tom Huckaby

Re:Pasatiempo's 17th
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 05:57:44 PM »
As we await word from the source, note this from Pasatiempo's web site:

Pasatiempo will restore historic back!
With the guidence of Tom Doak and Jim Urbina of Rennaisance Golf Pasatiempo will restore 6 green complexes on the back 9 starting September 4th with expected completion the first week of October 2007 utilizing aerial and ground photos from the early 1930's. This will complete the restoration work started 10 years ago of MacKenzie's masterpiece with Rennaisance Golf. To date Pasatiempo has restored the entire front 9 and holes 10, 11 and 15 on the back 9 with fantastice results.

17 was discussed on here previously, and I believe the restoration is to extend the green up and back toward the barranca, so that the rear of the green hugs the barranca.  It should be very cool.  The restoration and other work done to date on the rest of the course has been incredibly great.

TH

ps - I have tentative plans to play there with another GCAer on 11/8... so I am rooting hard for that October completion date to come true!

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 06:02:25 PM »
My source has been your fellow Santa Clara Alum, Mr Jon Spaulding. He can give the details of what was witnessed recently.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 06:08:26 PM »
My source has been your fellow Santa Clara Alum, Mr Jon Spaulding. He can give the details of what was witnessed recently.

Then get his Bronco butt in here to describe!

Hmmmm... starting now, finishing October?  Sounds kinda quick to me.  Darn it.

TH

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 06:26:19 PM »
Subject Jesuit has been out for a few hours ;).

A co-worker was out there late yesterday....and reported via phone this morning that work on 17 at Pasa had started. Dirt brought in, trees removed, stakes in, bunker started, getting to work on extending/moving the green back towards the canyon.

He and I were out there earlier in the month and I walked him back there to show him what I "thought" they might be doing.....after making my first 3 there :).

Can't imagine this'll all get done and grown in 2 months time. Let's hope the lead on the project will post so we can get it from the horse's mouth.

You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 06:38:18 PM »
Any plans to re-route the cart path? It's very unfortunately positioned.

My abiding memory of the hole was that it was the weakest on the course. Bland, even. Having said that, by the time we got round there, it was so wet, I could've swum the damn thing. I'm sure Ed and I were actually aqua-planing most of it.

#15 Green is still pants, though ;D

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

David Stamm

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 06:44:38 PM »

#15 Green is still pants, though ;D

FBD.

Martin, why so?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 07:00:54 PM »
David,
I found the bunkering just 'ugly', principally. Just badly jarred my eye. That and 17 were the only low points of the day though.
Seeing the house on Hollins Drive was, on the other hand, rather emotional...

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

ed_getka

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 07:37:19 PM »
Jon,
   Don't worry they can get those greens back up and playing in no time from what I saw over the last few years at Meadow Club.

Ash Towe was greatly disappointed to hear Pasa was going to be recovering from surgery while he is in town. To Pasa's credit they are giving a $50 voucher for a future round if you play it while the work is going on.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 08:52:40 PM »
ps - I have tentative plans to play there with another GCAer on 11/8... so I am rooting hard for that October completion date to come true!

All of this coming from the guy that FOR YEARS would complain on a daily basis that they charged too much at Pasatiempo.....

Yes, this is pick on Huckster Month on GCA! Come one, come all!

(Tom, honestly, I'm just having some fun. It might even be out of pure jealousy since I haven't been upi there in sometime to play that great course.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 09:13:01 PM »
EG; Probably won't play there again this year; more concerned about the top seed from Santa Teresa....as of 4 weeks ago there was no surgery going on. For a $50 voucher, perhaps there's more going on than just the 17th.

MGB; let's see some tears :'(

You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 09:24:09 PM »
Thomas:

I'm still complaining about the cost of Pasa, believe me.  It's now $175 weekdays.  This one may be comped, we'll see.  If not, well... I never said I'd NEVER pay the cost - my point was always I just was never too happy about it when I did so, about on an annual basis.  Imagine being as close as I am to this greatness and NOT being able to play it much more than once a year.  It does suck.

As for pick on me month, OK, have at it.  You're doing a damn fine job so far!  I'm just glad though there are only two days left.

;D ;D

Jon - thanks for the reports - you remain in good standing with SCU.  I too remain dubious about this being done before 11/8..... but hopefully T. Doak will see this and give us the lowdown.

TH
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 09:25:34 PM by Tom Huckaby »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 09:49:41 PM »

Justin Timberdoak

Sean Leary

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 09:52:41 PM »

Justin Timberdoak

LOL ;D ;D ;D

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 09:55:06 PM »
Ah this blows...

I'm scheduled for 9-15.

Wish I had known.

Voucher's nice though.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

David Stamm

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 11:33:15 PM »
EG; Probably won't play there again this year; more concerned about the top seed from Santa Teresa....as of 4 weeks ago there was no surgery going on. For a $50 voucher, perhaps there's more going on than just the 17th.

MGB; let's see some tears :'(

Hmmm...This photo looks strangely familiar. ;D

Now, I must sign off as I just shared a bottle of Pinot with my wife and don't want to be accused of drinking and posting. (just kidding Tommy  ;))

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 11:41:20 AM »
I would be interested to hear just how they will accomplish the green expansion. On the front nine they just mowed the fringe to green height and with repeated topdressing with sand it will putt just fine in a rather short time; this is the beauty of built on dirt greens, no need to expand the USGA drainage layer.

Lets hope they keep this beautiful green as scary as it has always been. As Shivas says: the toughest shot at Pasa is your 5th putt on 17!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 11:55:32 AM »
How about Pasatiempo for a future Kings Putter, say 2008?  8)

David Stamm

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 11:56:47 AM »

I'll second the motion.

David Stamm

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 11:59:09 AM »

I'll second the motion.

However, Pete may have another place in mind...... ;)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2007, 12:23:32 PM »
You guys do love to play with fire.  ;D
To paraphrase the great Forrest Gump, that's all I have to say about that.

You do also realize we've been there before, correct?  And that outside groups can't get weekend tee-times before 11am?  And that it's darn expensive?

Of course you don't - only someone who's organized an event there would know that.

;D

Pasa thus is problematic.  But if it's organized, I'd sure attend.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2007, 01:18:35 PM »
Guys,

Been trying to call Pasa to cancel / reschedule my 9-15 round and none of the numbers listed on the website seem to work.

Anyone know how to reach them???

course architect

David Stamm

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2007, 01:43:38 PM »
Guys,

Been trying to call Pasa to cancel / reschedule my 9-15 round and none of the numbers listed on the website seem to work.

Anyone know how to reach them???

Have you tried all these numbers?

http://www.pasatiempo.com/web/contact.php

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2007, 01:46:50 PM »
Yep.
course architect

ed_getka

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2007, 01:48:13 PM »
Patrick,
   I just called them last week to check on the work being done for Ash Towe's upcoming trip, so the number listed on the website is correct. Must be some glitch today with their phone system.
    If Tom or Jim Urbina are going to be onsite it would still be worth going out to play just to see what they are up to.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back