News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil Benedict

How Many Golf Balls Do You Use Up in a Year's Play?
« on: August 21, 2007, 11:23:20 AM »
I am fairly long and very wild so I may be an outlier as far as this question goes.  I probably buy 3-4 dozen balls a year and find another half dozen to a dozen that I put in play.  I estimate that I go through 50-60 golf balls per year, around 1 ball per round.

Brent Hutto

Re:How Many Golf Balls Do You Use Up in a Year's Play?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 11:39:43 AM »
One per round sounds about right for my usual game, most of them lost balls in water hazards but also a few that get nicked up (cart path, tree, etc.) and I throw them away after the round.

That said, when I play courses at the beach or somewhere with lateral hazards everywhere or tough courses with long rough I may end up going through the better part of a dozen balls over three or four rounds. I hate lost-ball courses like that although I prefer the water hazard ones to the ones with tall, unfindable-ball rough. I'm not patient enough to spend five minutes looking in the tall grass for my own ball, much less the ones belonging to the rest of the foursome.

So all told, call it 8-10 dozen balls per year. That's for 75+ rounds at home and maybe 25 more on the road.

Richard Choi

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 11:55:03 AM »
I am in the same boat with Brent. I would say I go through 1 to 2 balls a round with half due to losing it and half due to being cut.

I usually just wait for a nice golf ball sale off-season and buy 3 to 4 dozen (any urethane ball is fine by me) which is more than enough for me to go through a season (augmented by found balls).

Roger Tufts

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 12:19:37 PM »
I probably go through 1-2 per round, the latter most likely if playing a course for the first time. I probably went through a box and a half to two boxes at least this past July in Ireland among 10 rounds. Went through fourteen balls once a few years ago at the Golf Club of California after a night out with Brad and his buddies.... There is a moral here...
Cornell University '11 - Tedesco Country Club - Next Golf Vacation: Summer 2015 @ Nova Scotia & PEI (14 Rounds)

Jordan Wall

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 12:44:40 PM »
Around 300 or more I'm sure...I've bought 13 dozen this year and gone through them all in 163 rounds thus far...usually I use 2 balls a round, more if I lose any.  I hate playing scuffed balls, so usually just give them to my friends if they are scuffed a bit. Any kind of hit against a tree or cartpath will usually mean a new ball for me, so I can go through a lot of balls.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 01:03:48 PM »
... 163 rounds thus far...

You lucky dog.

Enjoy it while it lasts.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 01:12:05 PM »
I hate playing scuffed balls, so usually just give them to my friends if they are scuffed a bit.

Can someone please send Jordan a shag bag?!?!?!?!? Or don't they exist with high school/college players anymore?

If a ball has seen any play on the course for me, it normally goes into my shag bag, which is then used for short game practice, especially when I need to dial in my wedge distances. It's always helpful to do that with the actual ball type you play with.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 01:14:01 PM »
One time a couple years ago I announced to the guy I was playing with "I just finished my 72nd hole in a row with this same golf ball and it still looks great". Then proceeded to hit my tee shot at least 60 yards right of the fairway, losing the ball on a tee shot I'd played 100 or more times without coming close to losing a ball.

So now I retire them after 36 holes no matter what.

JLahrman

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 01:18:03 PM »
No real golfer ever buys golf balls, period.  There are enough decent balls to be found on any course.  Today's balls are so well made that a cart path or tree scuff doesn't affect them at all.  As a matter of fact, they make it easy to identify your ball ("I'm playing an NXT Tour 2 with a brown scuff").

I'm long and wild so I lose plenty but wind up in spots where I can find plenty as well.  I probably play 30-40 rounds a year and cannot remember the last time I even thought about buying balls.  So to answer the question, I have absolutely no idea.

I just restocked last weekend - the course had a lot of woods and some poison ivy is a small price to play for 20 balls.  Found some Pro V1s, a few NXTs, a Nike ball or two, a couple of Callways, etc.  I'm an 8 handicap and as long as I'm not hitting a real rock there is not enough difference between balls for me to be picky about what I'm hitting.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 01:19:38 PM by JAL »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 01:26:40 PM »
No real golfer ever buys golf balls, period.  There are enough decent balls to be found on any course.  Today's balls are so well made that a cart path or tree scuff doesn't affect them at all.  As a matter of fact, they make it easy to identify your ball ("I'm playing an NXT Tour 2 with a brown scuff").

I'm long and wild so I lose plenty but wind up in spots where I can find plenty as well.  I probably play 30-40 rounds a year and cannot remember the last time I even thought about buying balls.  So to answer the question, I have absolutely no idea.

I just restocked last weekend - the course had a lot of woods and some poison ivy is a small price to play for 20 balls.  Found some Pro V1s, a few NXTs, a Nike ball or two, a couple of Callways, etc.  I'm an 8 handicap and as long as I'm not hitting a real rock there is not enough difference between balls for me to be picky about what I'm hitting.

Hey JAL,

I'm with you on this one for the most part.  My son goes hunting for golf balls and I'll pay him a buck for the good Pro Vs, Nikes, and Callaways that he finds.  50 cents for others in good shape.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 01:26:42 PM »
Jordan,

How often do you change golf gloves?  Do you throw them out after 1 round like the pros?

Dan Kelly

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 01:39:12 PM »
One time a couple years ago I announced to the guy I was playing with "I just finished my 72nd hole in a row with this same golf ball and it still looks great". Then proceeded to hit my tee shot at least 60 yards right of the fairway, losing the ball on a tee shot I'd played 100 or more times without coming close to losing a ball.

That will happen on the X+1st hole any time you announce that you have just played a single ball for X holes.

The Golf Gods wouldn't have it any other way.

So play that ball as many holes as you can -- and keep your mouth shut!

Jordan Wall

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 03:27:50 PM »
Jordan,

How often do you change golf gloves?  Do you throw them out after 1 round like the pros?

Phil,

I never use golf gloves but I change grips ever four months.

Doug,

I have a shag bag of about 75 pro-v's.
So, I figure my friends could use my scuffed golf balls more than my shag bag could use them, since I have plenty.
At least they're put to good use!

Ash Towe

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 03:35:08 PM »
I like to make the balls last a minimum of 2 rounds.  Usually change it after 3.  Some of the guys I play with make them last 4 or more rounds.
A dozen pro v's cost $110 a dozen out here.  Got to try and look after them at that price.

Brian Laurent

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 04:00:01 PM »
Relating to another thread...I'd say only playing new golf balls is my "golf snob" characteristic!  

This is my first full summer out of the golf business and already, paying full price for golf balls is getting old.  I think I'm at five dozen for the year.  
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Dan Kelly

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 04:39:32 PM »
I change grips ever four months.

I can top that.

I change grips every four swings.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 04:43:27 PM »
Are you kidding...  I play The Ocean Course 90 percent of the time.  I lose tons but I generally find about twice as many - and often better balls -- than I lose so no complaints...  ;)

Craig Sweet

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 04:43:39 PM »
I figure I use about 4 dozen...I find hundreds, but only keep the better balls....the rest I toss to golfers.

The shag bag consist of only those brands I play...no use in practicing wedge shots with a Top Flight when you play Pro V's....and Jordan...75 balls in a shag bag is 50 balls too many...too much time picking and not enough time working on skills,and they totally clutter the practice green...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Bruce Katona

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 04:44:04 PM »
1-2 balls/round on average.....my handicap is +2 (I find 2 more balls per round than I lose)....I play the tileist's, calloways and nike's....my brother-in-law is a beginner and just got 12 dozen finders (not titleists, calloways or nikes) from me yesterday....hopefully that will last him a while.

JLahrman

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2007, 04:48:45 PM »

Don't you guys realize how much bad karma there is in a found golf ball?

JAL - How much did you spend on anti-itch lotions for finding those "free" golf balls?  ;)

Mike, I don't have a very serious reaction to poison ivy, so itching is not a big problem.  I get a couple of hard blisters, that's about it.  There may be bad karma in found golf balls, but there is worse karma in paying good money for something I can find in the places I wind up every stinking round.  Of course I've never bought a brand new car either, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

Playing experienced golf balls also lets me swing more relaxed.  Hitting a brand new golf ball on a tee with a lot of trouble is at least as nerve-wracking as arriving at 18 all square.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 04:52:23 PM by JAL »

Phil Benedict

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2007, 04:52:49 PM »
I rarely take a ball out of play because the modern ball is so durable.  Scuff marks don't bother me unless they interfere with the all-important Cheater Line.

The other day I hit a ProV1 through a tree (a Japanese maple) and it came out a lightish color green that doesn't want to wash off.  I'll still use it until I lose it.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2007, 04:58:21 PM »
I must have two hundred Pro-V1's in my shag bag.  I bet I find at least two per round without trying. I still will buy about three or four dozen balls a year.  There is something about teeing up a new ball.  I don't lose many so I can use the same one for a couple of rounds and then write it a sonnet and give it a decent send off, either to my shag bag or deep into the woods.

How many of you still have a shag bag?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 04:59:08 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Joe Hancock

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2007, 04:58:48 PM »
I change grips ever four months.

I can top that.

I change grips every four swings.

Four times less often than me....

Geez, someone had to acknowledge this man's genius comedy!

J ;De
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 05:00:45 PM by Joe Hancock »
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Phil Benedict

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2007, 05:04:04 PM »

How many of you still have a shag bag?

I am surprised by the frequent references to a shag bag.  I thought they had gone out of style.  As a kid I used to hit balls at the local high school baseball field but I wouldn't dream of doing that now.  They'd arrest me.  Where do you use them?

Mike Benham

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2007, 05:06:53 PM »

I must have two hundred Pro-V1's in my shag bag.  

How big is your shag bag?  That's 20 lbs. of golf balls ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back