News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Steve_ Shaffer

Cherry Hills and a US Am AND Colorado GC...
« on: June 21, 2007, 07:35:32 PM »
gets a good quote from Mike Davis:

Colorado Golf Club has made no secret about its desire to become linked with the USGA and hold national events there. Driver has played the course on at least two occasions; after his visit, Davis said he was extremely impressed with the facility.

"I'd heard so much about it, I was very intrigued," Davis said of the course, which was designed by Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw. "It's very impressive; Coore and Crenshaw are great designers and it's amazing how much land they have."

Colorado Golf Club was one of the sites for local qualifying for this year's men's Open, which was a good first step, according to Davis.

"It's not an overnight process," he said. "We'll wait for them to indicate which championship they might be interested in hosting, and we'll see where it goes from there."

Davis and Driver said Colorado Golf Club and Cherry Hills would be capable of hosting USGA events.

Here's the rest of the article:

www.denverpost.com/golf/ci_6189576
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joel_Stewart

Re:Cherry Hills and a US Am AND Colorado GC...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 09:14:31 PM »
I think it would make for an interesting medal play since those 2 courses are fairly different.  They are also fairly far apart and I'm not sure the USGA wants that.  Denver CC I believe is the other medal course.

redanman

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 09:00:33 AM »
.  Denver CC I believe is the other medal course.
Meridian was 2nd course in 1990 Am

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 10:31:35 AM »
Steve:

My ride all the way across town to Cherry Hills. If they should play Colorado GC then take advantage of nearby Pradera. Although the walking dimension would be most interesting on a few holes there.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 10:37:17 AM »
Matt -

If I am not mistaken, the walk up to the back tee on #16 and back down would be a killer. I am tired just thinking about it.
Mr Hurricane

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 10:44:30 AM »
Jim:

They could position a cart ride to transport players. As an FYI -- the USGA provided cart transportation for the players at both the '97 US Open and Senior Open there from the 9th green to the 10th tee.

I don't see the issue as being difficult to circumvent.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 10:53:05 AM »
I agree Matt that that is what they would do, but if they didn't...it would be an interesting walk as I am sure you would agree. I would love to see how far some of those long knockers would hit it off that elevated tee.
Mr Hurricane

JohnV

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 10:56:31 AM »
As long as there is a second good club nearby, tell the folks at Colorado GC to ask for the US Mid-Am.  We could use a good invitation from a course in that part of the country.

Shuttles are used on occasion at USGA Championships.  There is no problem with that when needed, especially if it is for the second course at the Amateur or the Mid-Amateur.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back