News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Larry_Keltto

Newburgh-on-Ythan?
« on: June 13, 2007, 06:00:57 PM »
Newburgh-on-Ythan: Allan Ferguson mentions it enthusiastically in his latest e-newsletter.

I know where it's located, but can anyone tell me about its architectural virtues?

Mark_Rowlinson

Re:Newburgh-on-Ythan?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 10:41:55 AM »
Larry, I expect you've seen the club's website: http://www.newburghgolfclub.co.uk/index.htm
I, personally, have no experience of it.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 10:46:59 AM »
i played the old nine holes there back in the day... just a caravan for a clubhouse... they extended it and built a full time clubhouse when it was 100 years old in the mid nineties...

...it was pretty lovely as far as i can remember...

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 05:12:30 PM »
Larry, I expect you've seen the club's website: http://www.newburghgolfclub.co.uk/index.htm
I, personally, have no experience of it.

Could someone punch me on the arm REALLLLLY hard please?

I could have sworn I saw Mark Rowlinson say he had no experience of the aforementioned golf course. 8)

In a parallel universe, perhaps!!!

I just love that website. Great homemade course graphics. Who needs all that fancy graphic designer/course guide nonsense when you have crafty Scots thriftiness!

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Phil McDade

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 05:22:00 PM »
Larry:

If you're in the area, I highly recommend the Fraserburgh links -- Corbie Hill -- a very underrated links set in some wonderful dunesland. Just up the road from Newburgh. Peterhead is also good, but for my money, not quite as good overall as Fraserburgh. A good back nine, though.

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 02:37:36 PM »
Stay at the Udny Arms Hotel.
Order the Sticky Toffee Pudding.
Play the course late in the day,the walk in the park is wonderful.The front nine is on the land adjacent to the village and the back nine runs along the river.
Modest architecture,wonderful fun.

Brian_Ewen

Re: Newburgh-on-Ythan?
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2023, 12:39:45 PM »

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/golf/6029581/newburgh-on-ythan-golf-club-must-fill-45k-cash-hole-by-september/

Embattled Newburgh-on-Ythan Golf Club must fill £45k cash hole by September or face failing to meet financial commitments
Members will discuss their options at an EGM on Monday after a drop in membership contributes to a £42,000 loss of income at the Aberdeenshire club.
by Paul Third
August 10 2023

Newburgh-on-Ythan Golf Club have made a fresh appeal to members for help and fundraising ideas to help stabilise the club’s perilous financial situation.

The Aberdeenshire club, formed in 1888, raised £57,000 from members and received an anonymous donation of £25,000 last year to help combat soaring costs in energy, equipment and course materials.

It was hoped the fundraising campaign would secure the club’s future, but the loss of 50 members, and the struggles of the View restaurant and bar based at the club, has resulted in a loss of £42,000 in income.

Based on current forecasts, the Newburgh-on-Ythan committee have projected the club will not be in a position to meet their financial commitments by the end of the first week of September.

In a letter to members detailing the club’s financial position, the club committee said an additional £45,000 over and above the current income being forecast is required to keep the club within their £20,000 overdraft facility.

Visitor income has increased 12% between April and July, but the committee insist measures are required to improve the short-term cash flow.

Rising expenditure costs to maintain the club’s current day-to-day operations have led to a revised costing being undertaken.

Club in bid to increase revenue
Club manager Paul Manson and the committee have introduced measures to try to increase revenue and reduce costs.

An 18-month membership offer to new members has been introduced.

Meanwhile, discussions about an overseas membership fee with The Powelton Club, a country club based in Newburgh City in New York State, US, are also under way.

Talks with OGV Taproom, who took over the running of the bar and restaurant in March, about how the cash flow position can be improved, and attempts to secure an energy efficiency grant to reduce utility costs, have also been instigated.

Members are encouraged to attend an emergency general meeting which has been scheduled for Monday at 7pm to discuss the current financial position of the club and the plans to ensure a viable future.

Potential ideas put forward for discussion at the EGM include increasing membership fees for next year and the early payment of them, asking senior members to pay full membership fees and the introduction of a percentage of membership fees being due annually from life members.

Newburgh Golf Club declined the opportunity to comment at this stage.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2023, 03:39:31 AM »
Rather sad.
I recall playing from the portacabin clubhouse the original 9-hole course behind the Udny Arms and along the River Ythan. A delightful location with the bird life and the huge dunes across the estuary at Foveran (what a course you could have in that area if no SSSI). Not the longest but with some interesting holes in a lovely serene and quiet setting. But with a sting in the tale for the 9th was a really long par-5 back into the prevailing wind with a kink in the fairway short of the green and OB left. Cracking hole.
Good luck for the future NGC.
atb

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2023, 04:45:09 PM »
Hope they figure it out.
Fun course.

Played it in 2019 along with many other off the radar courses in the wonderful stretch along the coast from there to Covesea.
A very underrated golf area.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Michael Tamburrini

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2023, 04:09:20 AM »
Sad to read, it's a great wee course. About 15 years ago, it's greens were the smoothest in the region (no mean feat) and it was in fantastic condition.

I moved from the North East of Scotland to Western Australia 5 years ago and this is exactly the type of fun golf that you don't seem to get over here. Don't get me wrong, there's some nice golf courses near me (Secret Harbour, Meadow Springs, The Cut) but every course within about a thousand miles seems to be par 72, 36 out, 36 back, 7000 yards. Scotland has so many brilliant short courses, I've been surprised by how much I miss them.

Although, funnily enough, Newburgh is a par 72. It's sandwiched between Cruden Bay and Trump/Murcar/Royal Aberdeen so it tends to get forgotten about. But, on a windy day, it can be more fun than any of them. When you stand on the 5th tee at Cruden Bay and have a 25+mph wind in your face, you know it's going to be a long couple of hours and your golf ball supply is going to suffer. Newburgh, by contrast, constantly shifts direction and has more space than many other Scottish links courses. There's never more than 2 consecutive holes running in the same direction and - regardless of the wind - there will always be a couple of par 4s that will be almost drivable.

Michael Tamburrini

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2023, 04:16:30 AM »
Here's some photos (which was my real reason for posting):

We start in 2009, here's the 18th (formerly the 9th):

And the 9th (a downhill par 5)

The 13th (one of the many fun, short par 4's):

And, finally, the par 3 16th. Which is the first par 3 since the 5th.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2023, 06:39:01 AM »
Terrific photos Michael, thanks for posting. They bring back a few memories. Wonderful location. River Ythan and the Foveran dunes scenes too.
The old par-5 9th was a fearsome hole back into the wind in the persimmon and balata era.
Atb

ward peyronnin

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2023, 12:35:27 PM »
This a great little club
I walked it one twilight in 2001 and was drawn to the space ship looking new clubhouse twinkling on the dunes. Paul McGinley had helped land a grant to help build it.
 I stopped in on my way south a few years later to show my travelling companion the club. A lone putter on the practice green turned out to be an ex Cpt and a plumber by trade. He proudly showed me  tens and tens of feet of Stainless stell railings triple bar  on the exterior decks and full length gallery walkways revealling that he had salvaged the pipe from a pickling plant demolition and fabrictaed and installed all the rails. Other members had done as much of the work as they had talent to do.
The dune mentioed previously i was told is the oldest active dune in europe and changes shape periodically.
I am going to check out an overseas memebership altho I have 1 chance in a hundred of using it
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2023, 02:10:57 PM »
An Overseas Membership is 180 pounds. If you can afford it, a nice way for those of us on this side of the pond to support the club.

https://newburghgolfclub.co.uk/membership-fees/

ward peyronnin

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2023, 08:27:45 PM »
Done
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Michael Tamburrini

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2023, 11:49:15 PM »
Some more photos that I've taken over the years...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back