News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Sweet

PortStewart
« on: May 31, 2007, 05:09:14 PM »
The other night I was sitting at the table in my home here in Montana, chatting with Polly Pollock, a fine actor/playwrite, from Belfast, when she piped up "my home in Portstewart is always available to you".

I was like, "great golf, close to all kinds of great golf????"

So, the question is, do I play a bunch of courses for a month and then concentrate on one or two for some extra rounds, or go right to the big names in the area?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tom Huckaby

Re:PortStewart
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 05:17:39 PM »
Play a bunch of courses, just focus on the big names.

Among the non-big names be sure to include Castlerock.

TH

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 05:43:41 PM »
Craig -

Within 15 miles of Portstewart are Royal Portush, Castlerock, and Ballycastle. The 2nd course at Portrush, called the 'Valley Course,' is very much worth playing as well. Those 5 courses could keep you busy for at least a week or two.

DT

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 06:39:35 PM »
....and there’s the old course at Portstewart which is cheap short links golf and if your short game still isn’t upto scratch there's a fine P&P near Portrush.

Donegal and RCD aren’t that far away either.

I spent a month there every summer as a kid and there’s a lot to do.  Sea fishing off rocks, great surfing, and every Sunday night in summer was like American Graffiti as the kids drive hot rods through town. Do some research and you might time it to be there when the Northwest 200 is on. If it's still run in this H&S world they close 40 miles of road and let the world’s superbikes blast around the course that runs right through the centre of town.  Back in my day there was local rider called Joey Dunlop (sp?) who was virtually unbeaten as he knew every corner and bump and hump on those roads.  Wait til you see them roads and you'll realise what aunch of sissies F1 drivers are.

Time away from golf visit the Bushmills distillery (older than any Scottish parvenu!) and the Giant’s Causeway.

Evenings find “The Anchor”,   Beer and Music.

Sounds too good to miss...
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 09:16:01 PM »
You are not that far fom Ballyliffen and .... I knew I'd forget.
I did not find Donegal all that interesting.  I second all the other suggestions.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 09:16:52 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Evan_Smith

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 10:42:19 PM »
Craig
Prepare to have the month of your life.  Both courses at Portrush are great, as are Castlerock and Portstewart.  Ballycastle is fun, but I imagine that you would not play it more than a couple times since it's about a 40 minute drive from Portstewart and there are only 4 links holes on the course mixed in with 6 parkland and 8 headlands holes.  The views are spectacular though.

Over the border in Donegal are Ballyliffen (36 holes) and North West Golf club on the Inishowen Peninsula and a little further drive you can get to Portsalon which is one of the all time great deals.  It's about 35 euro and has some spectacular linksland.

RCD is a little over 2 hours away, but you can play Ardglass while you're down there to really make the trip worthwhile.

If it were me going, I would try to play all of these courses at least once, but since you're based in Portstewart, play the majority of your golf there as well as Portrush and Castlerock.  You won't need to go anywhere else after you play these 4 great courses.  Do see the others since you're in the area.  

ps-I can send you photos of all of these courses if you would like.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 10:43:11 PM by Evan_Smith »

Evan_Smith

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 11:07:44 PM »
I forgot to mention a neat little 9 hole course, Bushfoot.  It's about 2 miles outside of Bushmills and had the best turf of any course I've played in Ireland.  The food is amazing as well and a great deal.  The view from the dinning room is outstanding.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 11:41:45 PM »
This is all great information..with you eveeryone!
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 04:19:17 AM »
Craig

Exactly why were you thinking of golf when Polly said "my home in Portstewart is always available to you"? :o

Jim Nugent

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 06:36:21 AM »
What about some side trips south of the border?  

Craig Sweet

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 08:30:46 AM »
Richard...Polly is a wonderful woman, but a tad too old for me....and her primary residence s in London....I would have her place to myself....and that opens the door for some local possibilities... ;D
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 12:16:31 PM »
Donegal and RCD aren’t that far away either.

I spent a month there every summer as a kid and there’s a lot to do.  Sea fishing off rocks, great surfing, and every Sunday night in summer was like American Graffiti as the kids drive hot rods through town. Do some research and you might time it to be there when the Northwest 200 is on. If it's still run in this H&S world they close 40 miles of road and let the world’s superbikes blast around the course that runs right through the centre of town.  Back in my day there was local rider called Joey Dunlop (sp?) who was virtually unbeaten as he knew every corner and bump and hump on those roads.  Wait til you see them roads and you'll realise what aunch of sissies F1 drivers are.

Time away from golf visit the Bushmills distillery (older than any Scottish parvenu!) and the Giant’s Causeway.

Evenings find “The Anchor”,   Beer and Music.

Sounds too good to miss...

Sadly Joey died while racing in Estonia a couple of years ago, still a local legend though.

Punchbowl

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 02:02:59 PM »
I have an extra morning in Newcastle next week....don't play Royal County Down until 3:20.  Any thoughts for a morning round near there?

Stan Dodd

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 02:06:40 PM »
Ardglass!

Evan_Smith

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 08:13:41 PM »
I second Stan's choice to play Ardglass in the morning.  It's a pretty, 30 minute drive door to door between the golf clubs.  Contact Debbie at the club and she'll set you up.

David Stamm

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 08:39:25 PM »
....   Wait til you see them roads and you'll realise what aunch of sissies F1 drivers are.

Easy Tony. Let's not forget Jimmy, Giles and Ayrton amongst many others that have given their lives. I know you were just making an analogy, but ever since I saw Senna die, I get a little touchy about the subject. Nothing personal. :)
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2007, 07:12:47 AM »
I have an extra morning in Newcastle next week....don't play Royal County Down until 3:20.  Any thoughts for a morning round near there?

Ardglassis the best, RCD also has a No.2 course.

Kilkeel, Spa and Warrenpoint are good Pakland Tracks but not if your an American
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 07:15:40 AM by Matthew Hunt »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back