News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Dawson

New Mexico Golf
« on: May 23, 2007, 12:18:40 PM »
We are 4 couples traveling to the Santa Fe area in August to play golf. I have never been to this part of the country. Could someone recommend some courses and lodging options. We would want to play 3 times.
Thanks in advance for your help.
JD

Jay Flemma

Re:New Mexico Golf
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 12:22:21 PM »
Play twice at Black mesa and once at Paako Ridge

Andy Troeger

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 01:18:28 PM »
Jim,
Agree with Jay on Black Mesa and Paa-Ko Ridge. Both are pretty challenging courses though, if you're looking for something that might be a little more playable (although not THAT much) you might try Pueblo de Cochiti.

All three are gorgeous sites. As long as you are ok with heights, make sure you come down to Albuquerque and go up the tram.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 02:28:42 PM »
Depending on you r time frame, if getting down to Paa-Ko is too time consuming, try the Marty Sanchez Cousre near the Santa Fe airport. It's not Paa-Ko, but a solid course and an excellent value.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Matt MacIver

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 03:37:54 PM »

Third this itinerary, I played each once last Sept. and wished I had another round at BM, given some blind shots and local knowledge would have helped.  

We stayed at the Eldorado in Santa Fe, which was nice and convenient to The Plaza.  Several other good alternatives too.  Enjoy.

astavrides

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 06:24:33 PM »
I think twin warriors comes in a close third to black mesa and paa ko ridge.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 07:31:07 PM »
Jim:

Repeat this name early and often when going to NM ...

B-L-A-C-K       M-E-S-A

Fill in other courses as you please -- Paa-Ko is a worthy addition but it's a bit of a drive from the core area of Santa Fe -- if you head that direction take the Turquoise Trail -- very scenic and away from the hectic nature of the Interstate.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 08:43:06 PM »

Just do this exactly as suggested+enjoy the town
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 10:14:51 PM »
The couples clue is important.

Marty Sanchez is a superior idea but play the Great 28, too. It's their short course and Baxter was given free reign and his talent really shines there. The 18 hole course was built with seniors in mind. The green complexes are all well done but severe fairway movement is kept at a minimum.

Black Mesa and Marty Sanchez keeps you in a general vicinity closer to Santa Fe.

If you are there during the Burning of Zozobra in August and have many cares in the world, I wouldn't miss it.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

mike_beene

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 11:31:43 PM »
I used to frequent Santa Fe and ,while it is not a great course,I loved to play Santa Fe CC because it is realitively close to the square and they let us walk.Access was never a problem.The greens were good.Just a fairly flat up and back high desert walk 30 degrees cooler than a Dallas summer.El dorado a good suggestion.Fairly easy to get in and out of.If the Shed is still there do a lunch.The drive to Taos is a good day trip.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back