News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Name the course quiz
« on: April 13, 2007, 11:36:25 AM »
Here it is:

Here's a larger version:

Hint: Designed by a well known architect
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 11:39:18 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tom_Doak

Re:Name the course quiz
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 11:44:26 AM »
Must be Chambers Bay, judging by all the not-quite-grown-in artificial dunes and the long view across the water to trees on the other side.

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:Name the course quiz- Chambers Bay
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 11:55:14 AM »
It took the sharp eye of an architect to nail this one.

Golf '07 | Chambers Bay is a bit of Scotland near Tacoma

By Blaine Newnham

CHAMBERS BAY GOLF COURSE

More than 100,000 truckloads of sand were hauled to a cleaning site, and then returned during the construction of Chambers Bay, which was once a sand and gravel mine. The course was built on 250 acres, about 100 more than a typical course.

UNIVERSITY PLACE — What aspiring new high-end golf course doesn't claim that its goal is to someday host the U.S. Open?

"You ought to go after the British Open, not the U.S. Open," an official of the United States Golf Association told Robert Trent Jones Jr., whose architectural firm has shaped the stunningly beautiful Chambers Bay course on the sandy slopes of the Tacoma Narrows.

Chambers Bay is set to open the third week of June to a public that will be asked to pay up to $150 a round in greens fees and walk the course by either employing a caddie or toting their own clubs.

This will be public golf at its very best, or worst, depending on your point of view and how well Jones and his crew have done their work.

Here's the rest of the article:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/golf/2003662788_chambers12.html

« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 11:56:42 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 11:56:07 AM »
The cart would indicate America.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 12:01:51 PM »
The cart would indicate America.
Unfortunately not as much as it used to...
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 12:51:53 PM »
Mark,

I may be wrong, but I think that is just a construction cart and the course is planning to go walking only ala Bandon.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 12:55:30 PM »
No it doesn't take an architect's eye. Tom was just first to see it. I saw the picture and immediately thought, "that's Puget Sound", which of course allowed me to immediately identify it.

I don't know what the cart was doing there. The course will be strictly walking. The design of hole #10 is such that there is simply no way to put in a cart path.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 01:33:35 PM »
Can't tell with just one photo but it looks a wee bit more natural than Bayonne.

If you want more pics, check here:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=27342
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Kirk

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 01:41:58 PM »
In the first picture, the dune structures have rather sharp edges.  I imagine the edges will smooth out in time.

It all looks very impressive.  I will be anxious to hear opinions about how enjoyable it is to walk the course.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 01:44:26 PM »
The cart appears to be a maintenance cart-maybe a supterintendent and his/her asstistant....

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 01:52:03 PM »
As I understand it, they are having a preview round of invitees tomorrow, April 14.  RTJjr archie associate who worked on this course, Jay Blasi invited me to attend because I am going to vacation in that area next week.  Unfortunately, I won't arrive there until Monday and will miss the preview round.  :-\ :'(

But, I may loose a little dog named Coorshaw and go over there looking for him and wander around a bit next week, maybe take some pics.  Hopefully the tresspass laws aren't too draconian out there...  ;) 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 02:23:17 PM »
Garland's picture is yet another example of how significant it can be to the design of a course to declare that it is walking-only.

On the other side of that equation, yesterday I looked at the engineers' first attempt to route cart paths for one of the projects we have on the drawing board.  It made me want to throw up ... it will absolutely ruin the "core" feel of the course which I have envisioned.  I will be able to improve it some by "strongly suggesting" some different path locations and some sharing of paths (of course, I can't actually locate them myself or I'll be liable) ... but I sure wish this client would have taken me up on the $50,000 discount to do away with carts!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 02:28:21 PM »
As I understand it, they are having a preview round of invitees tomorrow, April 14.  RTJjr archie associate who worked on this course, Jay Blasi invited me to attend because I am going to vacation in that area next week.  Unfortunately, I won't arrive there until Monday and will miss the preview round.  :-\ :'(

But, I may loose a little dog named Coorshaw and go over there looking for him and wander around a bit next week, maybe take some pics.  Hopefully the tresspass laws aren't too draconian out there...  ;) 8)

Are you good at scaling 8' chain link fences?  ;)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 02:29:39 PM »
Garland's picture is yet another example of how significant it can be to the design of a course to declare that it is walking-only.

Jay Blasi provided me with the picture.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back