News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Geoffrey_Walsh

We-Ko-Pa
« on: April 12, 2007, 03:14:18 PM »
Playing both the Saguaro and the Cholla on Sunday for the first time.  Has anyone played there - thoughts/comments?

In addition, if you could play only one course in Phoenix/Scottsdale area, what would it be?

Andy Troeger

Re:We-Ko-Pa
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 03:23:02 PM »
Geoffrey,
I'm actually going to miss you by a day on playing the Cholla Cse (Saturday). I played Saguaro last month and really enjoyed it. There are quite a few other threads/comments on Saguaro that have taken place in the last few months if you care to search the archives.

Its very walker friendly with the green complexes and teeing areas melded together very well (something I'd never seen on a desert course). The playing corridors are generally wide enough to make the course challenging and playable, and there are some interesting short par fours (4 total, I liked #2, 7, and 10 quite a bit better than #16--as have others).

Have fun!

EDIT: Forgot to answer your last question, but so far of the courses in the area I would go with Saguaro. The Estancia Club would be a close 2nd.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 03:24:48 PM by Andy Troeger »

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 03:56:23 PM »
Playing both the Saguaro and the Cholla on Sunday for the first time.  Has anyone played there - thoughts/comments?

In addition, if you could play only one course in Phoenix/Scottsdale area, what would it be?

I have played Cholla twice and Saguaro once in the last few months.  Both are good but are very different in character.  

When playing them both the same day, I preferred Saguaro.  due to more interesting greens, driveable par fours and walkability.  When I went back, however, I really liked Cholla.

The course in Phoenix area (sort of) I am itching to get back to most is Apache Stronghold.  $35 to walk (you can walk it 6 times for the price of We Ko Pa).  Terrific design that was soft when I played it.  Conditioning was not as bad as I feared.  Setting is fantastic.  Drive there from Phoenix is really interesting.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 04:12:05 PM »
Jason, you can walk it 6 times for the price of 35$. The replay rate is 20$ and that is only to pay for the cart.

John Goodman

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 04:39:40 PM »
I haven't been to Apache yet - it is about two hours from Scottsdale though, isn't it?

Of what I've played in the Scottsdale/Phoenix area, I liked Saguaro best, followed by Vista Verde, Boulders (South) and Talking Stick (North).  I've played some others but enjoyed those the most.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 07:47:37 PM »
If access isn't an issue, Desert Forest is a must.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back