News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

T.J. Sturges

If Mr. Jones had been in attendance last week, what would he have been most pleased about and what would he have been displeased about?

It seems easy to predict that he would have been pleased that the Masters Tournament has endured and grown into such a significant tournament.  What else would he have been pleased about?  And, I suppose I am specifically looking for what would have pleased him or displeased him about the state of his course in 2007, as well as the state of the game in 2007.  

TS

John Kavanaugh

I think being the great man he was he would be most pleased that the patrons and indeed the country was pulling for Tiger.

John Kavanaugh

I would say he would be most displeased that the people who yell "Get in the hole!!!" were not flogged and shown the gate.

Doug Ralston

Would he state publically that the cursing Tiger Woods would never be allowed at HIS University?  :D [jk]

Doug
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 09:12:06 AM by Doug Ralston »

John_Cullum

I am certain Mr. Jones would be most disturbed that they are not selling coca cola in the "little bottles." (You know it tastes better). Outside of that , he is quite pleased.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

JESII

From a seance: "When I caved in and agreed to call it 'The Masters,' I never expected the champion to be a master of the layup."-Bob Jones.

That's an interesting take Mark, I was pondering posting something along those lines as what he would be pleased about...not so much the laying up bit, but the game planning and finding the best way for oneself to play the golf course...

Dan Boerger

I don't know if he woudl be pleased or displeased, but I think he would be overwhelmed with:

The amount of "logo'd" merchandise the place sells

The skill set of the "average" competitor

The enormity of the crowds and viewership
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

John_Cullum

I don't believe Bob Jones would ever take umbrage with a gentleman who figured out how to shoot the lowest score against the best players in the world.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Andy Doyle

From a seance: "When I caved in and agreed to call it 'The Masters,' I never expected the champion to be a master of the layup."-Bob Jones.

So you think when faced with a strategic decision (e.g. approach to 13 and 15), Jones would only approve of one way of playing the hole?

Sounds like the feminists that clamour for equal opportunity for women, then sneer at those who choose to stay home to raise their kids.

Andy

Doug Braunsdorf

I feel Bob Jones would be most pleased with the way the course and tournament has continued in appeal and prestige for well over 70 years.  He might be taken aback at the number of changes to the course, and to the development of the surrounding area.  
I was also thinking about Jim's statement of finding a route around the course and following it; Faldo had said something similar in an interview, words to the effect of there being a route around the course, you just have to find it and follow it.  
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 10:41:04 AM by Doug Braunsdorf »
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

PThomas

Re:What would Bob Jones be MOST pleased about and MOST displeased about?
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 10:56:32 AM »
I don't believe Bob Jones would ever take umbrage with a gentleman who figured out how to shoot the lowest score against the best players in the world.

agreed!!!  its not how its how many in golf

here's a fun fact:  when Nick Price tied the course record in 1986 he layed up on all the par 5s that round...and birdied them all I believe!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

JESII

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 10:59:17 AM »
Mark,

I read a post on here yesterday that suggested only about 1 in 5 players went for #15 in two all week. Considering his length, I would bet #8 is never within range, and #2 would depend on a great drive. So going for par 5's might not be a great indicator of anything this week.

#13 is the one strange one, and what we saw on Sunday was pretty cool if you ask me...choosing to layup because he thought the wedge pitch would be easier than the third from some of the places a 3 iron or rescue might end up seemed pretty heady...and a sign that he had his {head} screwed on tighter then some of the other guys...see Tiger on #15...

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 12:00:13 PM »

here's a fun fact:  when Nick Price tied the course record in 1986 he layed up on all the par 5s that round...and birdied them all I believe!

Price did birdie all 4 par 5's, and didn't hit any in two; are you sure he laid up on all 4?  I haven't been able to verify that.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

CHrisB

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 12:15:43 PM »
Not completely disagreeing with the lot of you (well, part of one post was not very nice), but just making the point he might be concerned the victor not once had to chance it.

Wouldn't that be an indicator the risk-reward equation he put stock in was out of whack, maybe not permanently but at the very least for this tournament?

To view risk-reward solely in the context of laying up vs. going for par 5's in two is a very narrow interpretation of risk-reward, especially w.r.t. ANGC.

The genius of ANGC is that it is (still) full of risk-reward scenarios! Players are taking chances on practically every shot out there (certainly every approach shot), even if sometimes it's not obvious watching on TV.

P.S.--Yes, I would rather see more guys going for the par 5's, esp. 13 and 15. I bet we'll see more of that next year--unlikely that the unusual cold breeze against will be there 2 years in a row.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 12:18:41 PM by Chris Brauner »

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 12:28:47 PM »

Price did birdie all 4 par 5's, and didn't hit any in two; are you sure he laid up on all 4?  I haven't been able to verify that.

AG,

I shared a house with Nick Price that year and followed him the whole round, he did indeed lay up on every par five.

Bob

Adam Clayman

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 12:56:05 PM »
Isn't the biggest deal that they have turned a strategic course into a penal one?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Joe Hancock

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 01:05:28 PM »
Isn't the biggest deal that they have turned a strategic course into a penal one?

Adam, I agree, with one question:

Is/was ANGC still strategic for the modern player using modern equipment?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 01:11:43 PM »

You have hit the nail right on the head on this one.  I was trying to put in words of how I felt this weekend, and that is really it.

We are conditioned to see the late charges and the thrill of the back 9 at Augusta on Sunday.  Instead we saw one very nice eagle by Tiger and that was it.  It has become U.S. Open-like in the way the course is approached.  Instead of going for it, they are just trying to keep out of trouble.  And if a birdie comes thier way, then so be it.  This is much different in my mind where you had birdie hunting all day on Sunday and loved to watch guys make charges.

What I saw for most of the tourney was guys grinding for par and at least trying to play safe.  I want to watch the Masters not the U.S. Open....
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 01:12:49 PM by Kalen Braley »

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 01:31:21 PM »

AG,

I shared a house with Nick Price that year and followed him the whole round, he did indeed lay up on every par five.

Bob

Wow!  That might be the most reliable information I've ever gotten.  Very cool, and only on GCA.com.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

T.J. Sturges

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 01:35:45 PM »
Maybe it was due to the cold weather, but with so many people laying up on 13 and 15 you get the feeling that they have made these holes accessible in 2 for only the longest hitters.  I think this is a shame, and I think Mr. Jones would not be pleased about this.

In his prime, Curtis Strange was of average length.  The year he crashed and burned on 13 and 15, his "average length" tee shots tempted him to go for each par 5 on the final 9.  The results were dramatic and exciting television to say the least. Isn't that what Jones and MacKenzie intended...to make the player contemplate this?  Yes there are lots of ways to play the holes, but it seems to me to be less interesting to watch if the average length hitters don't even consider going for it.  Wouldn't Zach Johnson's length off the tee be comparable to Strange in his prime (with that day's technology)?  Just a thought.

TS

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 02:33:44 PM »
I think he would be disturbed by the lack of coke in small bottles as well. I think what has happened to 11 would bother him. I think he would be very pleased the Masters is regarded as the best run Golf event in the world. He would be equally pleased with the diversity of the field, the high quality of play as well as the status the event is held by the players of the world. I think it is the #2 behind the Open world wide and maybe even 1.

Michael Moore

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 02:48:53 PM »
I shared a house with Nick Price that year . . .

"Dude, nice round. Course record, you're the man." (high five)

"Thanks."

"I picked up some Miller Lite and some beef jerky while you were at the press tent, so your share is $6.37."

"No problem, dude."
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

JESII

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2007, 02:56:24 PM »
MM,

I swear they would refer to each other as 'mate"...

Andy Doyle

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 09:27:39 PM »
(well, part of one post was not very nice)

If that was me, sorry - feeling a little pissy from a very bad day at work.

We seem to celebrate having strategic options on a course - shouldn't we also celebrate the individual that chose the options that led him to victory?

Andy

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 09:40:14 AM »
Mark,

Do you remember the press coverage after Ramond Floyd won?  It was very similar to what we read today about Zach.  Unless a sterotypical athlete like Tiger wins you will almost always find the press flying the strategy flag.  Hoylake being the exception, and TOC and when ever else Tiger himself does not over power the course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back