News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Christensen

A few pics from Scotland...
« on: April 10, 2007, 08:01:18 PM »
What doesn't seem right about this picture?  Was taken from upstairs at Greywalls (was a little nervous about taking pics on course the Tuesday we played):

The swale in front of #5:

My new scottish friend in that swale....believe his next shot was closer to red flag than white (or was that James, Martin?)

Pin for #1 Reverse:

Hopefully will post a few more from Old/New/N Berwick!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 08:06:42 PM by Michael Christensen »

Garland Bayley

Re:A few pics from Scotland...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 08:14:50 PM »
Oh look! A golf cart in Scotland. Must be used to transport the dog, since dogs don't have free run of the place.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 08:26:10 PM »
keep 'em coming Michael. Especially North Berwick, the soul of golf.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Ron Farris

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 11:07:03 PM »
Garland, They may have used the cart to get the starter-dog to the tee complex. ;)

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 02:57:52 AM »
Garland,

Notice one bag on ground, one bag in the buggy.  My guess is that one player had a medical exemption.  Scottish courses have a few buggies for such occurences.

Michael,

In the picture of the pin #1 reverse, tell me the two monuments in the foreground are not the tee blocks for #2.  Looks like it would be an awkward stance for the drive.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 08:47:27 AM »
One golfer might have had a medical condition? Was that a "guide dog"?  ;D
LOCK HIM UP!!!

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 08:57:33 AM »
See,they took the sign down and the whole place went to sh&#$ ;)

Perhaps it could be replaced with "no dogs or carts"
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ken Moum

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 09:13:12 AM »
Garland,

Notice one bag on ground, one bag in the buggy.  My guess is that one player had a medical exemption.  Scottish courses have a few buggies for such occurences.

When we were in Scotland last summer, both Brora and Boat of Garten had buggies for hire with no requirement for disability. My wife and our friend Sue did ride at both courses as my wife was 8 month from a total kneee replacement, and Sue would not have been able to play 11 times in 12 days without a break

At Boat we ran into the Secretary of Royal Dornoch, and he said they could have provided my wife with a ride if she had needed one when we played there two days earlier.

I believe The Old will provide a buggy for people with disabilities, but the also have to hire a driver--to prevent someone driving into a revetted bunker, I suppose.

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 10:26:36 AM »
In the picture of the pin #1 reverse, tell me the two monuments in the foreground are not the tee blocks for #2.  Looks like it would be an awkward stance for the drive.

I'm not sure what those two stones were there for, but the tee for Reverse #2 was actually the back tee for #18 normal routing, so it was off to the right of the Road Bunker.

The Links Trust did a very good job of moving the tee boxes, etc around to set up for the Reverse Old Course; there was no feeling that this was jury-rigged in any way.

There actually was one tee that was just a mowed rectangle of flattish fairway.  This was for the Reverse #12, just after the Reverse #11 which played from the normal 9th tee to normal 7th green, a bit blind over gorse.  Reverse #12 then played from in front of the Shell Bunker and the green was, I believe, #6 normal or #12 Reverse, beyond a bunch of gorse.  The tee shot played down the area of the drive on #7 normal routing, so that nest of bunkers was definitely in play.  
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 12:14:48 PM by Bill_McBride »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 10:38:20 AM »
One golfer might have had a medical condition? Was that a "guide dog"?  ;D
Yes, the golfer with the medical condition had a guide dog to help him drive the cart.
 ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 11:06:36 AM »
Your room at Greywalls is one down from the one I request. I like taking a morning constitutional looking at the 10th tee and hole at Muirfield.

Michael Christensen

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 06:04:13 PM »
I had plenty of time to kill on that Sunday after landing.....I relaxed for 3-4 hours out on the putting green watching the Muirfield groups go up #10......I saw at least 8 carts being used....so, they seem to be used quite frequently (used by the older members)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back