News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

nandoal

Which "new" courses could host a Major?
« on: February 25, 2007, 12:01:42 PM »
Just an OT question, Which courses presently not in the rotation could/would host a US Open or PGA?  It could be a classical course that has been looked over for years or a new course.  It has to be feasible USGA or PGA standards for patrons, parking, tents etc.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 03:06:32 PM by nandoal »

nandoal

Re:Which "new" courses could host a Major?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 12:03:23 PM »
One that sticks out to me is LACC but the members will not budge on letting a US OPEN come through.  Also head talk of ERIN HILLS being groomed to host one of the championships.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 12:04:21 PM by nandoal »

wsmorrison

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 12:22:43 PM »
US Open:

Huntingdon Valley CC (PA) could hold a US Open almost daily during the season.  It will be even better when the 2nd and 3rd greens are restored to their original state...that is the buildups on the left side of both greens are taken back down to original grade.  Talk about firm and fast!  Jim, which 18 holes would you want to see used?

US Woman's Open:

NGLA, how great would that be?  Would they consider it?  Or how about the 2013 Walker Cup?  Maybe they could try a little harder next time.

US Amateur:

TCC, Brookline.  They ought to get back into tournament golf.

US Women's Amateur:

Kittansett.  It would be outstanding.

US Boy's Junior:

Lancaster CC

US Girl's Junior:

Lehigh CC

Other realistic (sorry, no Sand Hills) venues include:  Hidden Creek, Rolling Green, the original Stonewall, Boston GC, Indian Creek and so many more.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 03:35:13 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Adam Sherer

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 01:40:25 PM »

US Women's Amateur:

Kittansett.  

It would be outstanding.

I agree with Kittansett, I played a High School tournament there. Great course and considering location, access, and site, about the only thing you could have is a Women's Am, maybe US Amateur.

As for a US Open:

Garden City, Myopia (Bring history back to one of the old great courses, like Merion 2013)

(some people might hate this)
Crystal Downs - fast greens, long rough, great conditioning

I don't know about any "new" courses. It would seem like Bandon would get one before any other contemporary course. Or a Trump course (joke), but really think of the prize money!?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 01:42:01 PM by Adam_Sherer »
"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

Ron Kern

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 07:15:57 AM »
A 2002 article with some food for thought regarding public golf courses worthy of a U.S. Open:

http://cgi.cnnsi.com/golfonline/2002/us_open/mccallen/
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 07:17:05 AM by Ron Kern »

JESII

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 10:36:07 AM »
US Open:

Huntingdon Valley CC (PA) could hold a US Open almost daily during the season.  It will be even better when the 2nd and 3rd greens are restored to their original state...that is the buildups on the left side of both greens are taken back down to original grade.  Talk about firm and fast!  Jim, which 18 holes would you want to see used?

NANDOAL,

Can I make a request? If you ask that this thread only focus on the golf course itself and its ability to handle the pro game you'll get more and better conversation. Too often these things (and I'm as guilty as anyone) focus on logistics as to why a course can or cannot host an Open. Let's have fun this morning.

Wayne,

Any combination would be fine by me. What I would like the best is for Scott and the green committee to have a very substantial say in the course's preparation. I think with fortunate weather you would see real diversity in how the guys approach the course and how they score...isn't that one criteria for determining the quality of a course?

David Stamm

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 10:52:37 AM »
After seeing last weeks tournament, I'd love to see Riviera get back into the mix. It seems alot of people that have played SFGC say it's better than OC, so I'd like to see if it could host a major. And I think it would be great just once to see a place like NGLA, CPC or PV test today's players, even it was an Amateur. For modern courses, I think an obvious choice would be the courses at Bandon, Sand Hills, Ballyneal and just for fun, Rustic Canyon in an afternoon wind!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Dan Boerger

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 11:03:35 AM »

I would really love to see the NGLA host a tournament.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Jim Nugent

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 11:09:50 AM »
You guys who know NGLA correct me if I'm wrong.  Wouldn't the USGA have to trick up the course so much, it would no longer present the options/challenges that make it unique?  

JESII

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 11:13:34 AM »
I'm not one of those guys Jim, but from my understanding the greens have enough going on that so long as they're nice and firm it could give the guys fits.

By the way, this is assuming the USGA was not wrapped up in even par being the winning score...

wsmorrison

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 12:24:48 PM »
The tournament for NGLA doesn't have to be a men's Open; it could be another major.  I think matchplay is better suited to the course, among other reasons because of its lack of length.  

Wouldn't NGLA be a wonderful Women's Open, US Am or Walker Cup venue?  If firm and fast, the winner would have to have a hot putter, that's for sure!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 12:25:14 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 12:56:18 PM »
Wayne, could NGLA handle the logistics of a women's open?  Is this all an impossible dream, or would the club be willing to host such an event?  

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 03:24:14 PM »
I said it the Trophy Club thread, but I think Victoria National could host the US Open or the PGA and I think it could do it quite easily.

Wayne,

You named off some good courses and their respective tournaments. Nice to think about a lot of those. I know you like TCC, how about the Mid-Am out there? Kirtland as second course if Canterbury wouldn't do it.

US Amateur- NCR South. The golf course has seen the women, the seniors and the mid-ams. The newly worked over North course and the incomparable South, would make a great qualifying pair. Also, Moraine is a block away.

The Girls Junior at Moraine would work well also.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 03:32:04 PM »
For the British Open:

Royal County Down

Royal Portrush

The European Club

St Andrews New/Jubilee/Eden/Castle

Kingsbarns

David Stamm

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 03:42:27 PM »
For the British Open:

Royal County Down

Royal Portrush

The European Club

St Andrews New/Jubilee/Eden/Castle

Kingsbarns

Matthew, and all our UK and Irish brethern across the pond, please forgive my exclusion of golf's greatest championship and potential venues. I would add Royal Dornoch to the Scottish venues, Matthew has the Irish venues very well covered. How about some Welsh venues, Royal St David's?
I'm sure Sean can wax poetic about the virtues of Pennard. ;)
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

BCrosby

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 09:09:50 AM »
I don't get this thread.

I didn't think it was supposed to be about courses we really, really like.

I thought it was supposed to be about possible US Open or PGA venues. That's an important difference because the bodies that put on those tournaments want winning scores to be near par. They want to see pars as gaining on the field. They want to see the best players in the world struggle from tee to green.

Very few of the courses cited, however they are set up, would cause that to happen to world class players.

Bob

michael j fay

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 11:34:45 AM »
I nominate the Honors Course in Ooltewah, TN.

The course can play from in excess of 7,600 yards, it has wonderful green complexes, plenty of property for the US Open hooha.

The course, set up with 20 yard fairways and brutal fast greens can easily defend par against any players.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007, 11:38:31 AM »
Some moderns that I think might actually have the capacity to hold a major

Olde Kinderhook
Trump Bedminster
Victoria National
Erin Hills

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2007, 11:46:56 AM »
I really like Kinderlou Forest.  Except for a shortage of sit down toilets in the men's locker room it has all the infrastructure to host a tournament.  It recently hosted a Q school event and either got killed or did the killing...I forget which.

SL_Solow

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2007, 02:57:07 PM »
What about Wolf Run outside of Indianapolis?  Its certainly capable of being set up to US Open specs if that is one of the criteria.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2007, 03:08:07 PM »
Matthew - I'm sure the European Club is a great course but it's not in Britain so cannot host the British Open. I think RCD or Portrush have a serious chance now the peace process is firm and Mr Adams has accepted the police. I think the Walker Cup is a dry run, I'd wager on The Open being in Northern Ireland by 2015.

I'm sure Kingsbarns and the Castle would be suitable venues but could the R&A go local but not on TOC?

David - I've played both RD and RStD and both are great courses. They could only be considered if the R&A accepted a much smaller gate revenue and limited tickets as both venues are in the "middle of nowhere" as far as facilities for hosting 30,000 a day are concerned. Saunton is in the same boat.

For a south east Open we have to look at the 3 previous venues Deal, Sandwich and Princes. I'm not sure Rye has the length, access or desire to host it...I maybe wrong, any Rye members here?
Cave Nil Vino

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2007, 03:08:46 PM »
US Open:

US Woman's Open:

NGLA, how great would that be?  Would they consider it?  Or how about the 2013 Walker Cup?  Maybe they could try a little harder next time.

US Amateur:

TCC, Brookline.  They ought to get back into tournament golf.

US Women's Amateur:

Kittansett.  It would be outstanding.

US Boy's Junior:

Lancaster CC

US Girl's Junior:

Lehigh CC

Other realistic (sorry, no Sand Hills) venues include:  Hidden Creek, Rolling Green, the original Stonewall, Boston GC, Indian Creek and so many more.

How come not Aronimink?  You guys show no love for AGC!!!

It certainly has all the necesary elements to host either a US Open or another PGA Championship, let alone another US Amateur or Senior championship.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2007, 04:26:56 AM »
Matthew - I'm sure the European Club is a great course but it's not in Britain so cannot host the British Open.

Are you sure that courses in Ireland are not eligible?  The tournament is not actually named "The British Open."  It's called "The Open Championship."  Seems like I read once the R&A can hold it where they choose, in Britain or not.  

michael j fay

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2007, 06:39:04 AM »
I believe that the Open Championship is limited to courses in Great Britain. The European Club is not in Great Britain.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2007, 07:02:02 AM »
I believe that the Open Championship is limited to courses in Great Britain. The European Club is not in Great Britain.
Nor is it a links which should and does appear to exclude it.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back