News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Happy wishes in 2007
« on: January 11, 2007, 10:57:10 AM »
 Happy wishes and thoughts to the following:

1. To the 224 new participants that became apart of the 1,500 member Discussion Group – welcome on board. That’s far more than I intended to add but many of you made great contributions. One of the best was Pat Ruddy charging in with his first post entitled ‘Ruddy Strikes Back’, an instant all time classic. Another who made a splash with his first post was Green Keeper Peter Wendt – the dialogue that followed is what makes GCA.com unique. As a guess, nearly two of every ten new posters was from outside the United States, the highest such percentage that we’ve seen in several years.

2. To Mike Miller and Josh Smith – hopefully, this web site helps you sell 20 plus original works this year as it did in 2006. Promoting great art in the form of design, writing and painting is what this site aspires to do.

3. To Yeamans Hall and all the family and friends of Dr. Henry Terrie – congrats for presenting a near ideal golf course. I saw/played Yeamans Hall last week and its revised course profile is now posted. Though Dr. Terrie passed away several months ago, he would be so very proud of the on-going work accomplished here since he fell ill. He touched many people in many ways – the numerous emails I’ve received proving that point are staggering. As a show of his modesty, he refused to ever let me mention his name in the course profile – so I’m doing it here. I wonder if Tom Doak has ever built a better set of TD original greens than the superb TD interpretations of Seth Raynor greens at Yeamans. At Yeamans, as the golfer goes from one green to the next, he can’t fail but be impressed by the variety (almost at the Pine Valley  :o level) and there is no sense of one green trying to outdo or compete with the others as seen on so many modern courses. I hope the people associated with Old Macdonald spend time at Yeamans Hall before making any decisions – Yeaman’s low country setting is not as flamboyant as some of Raynor’s other sites but the design is near his very best.

4. To Tom Doak - for being critical of me for not being critical. I pledge to spend more time in 2007 in the DG being critical than doing course profiles (though I am desperate to update several course profiles, especially Friar’s Head, Eastward Ho!, CC of Charleston, French Lick, Pine Needles, Plainfield, High Pointe, Beverly, Saint Louis CC, Wolf Run, Broadmoor, Heathlands, and St. George’s in Toronto).

5. To architects around the world who take their time to get the design/construction right, a growing number of us appreciate your hard work. Fewer and fewer folks seem to confuse quantity for the best of the best. Coore & Crenshaw have designed 16 courses, seven of which are ranked in GolfWeek’s Modern Top 100 (i.e. 43.75%). Another design firm which I respect quite a bit has done 300 courses but only 8 of those are ranked in the Top 100 (i.e. less than one percent). In addition, C&C have four in top 20 compared to one from this other group. The world needs top tier architects that remain true to doing a few select projects per year. Can you imagine an architect arguing that doesn’t yield the best result? “You see, Mr. Client, the design will be better if I’m not here…….”  :P

6. To Rod Whitman – here’s hoping that Cabot Links becomes your PacDunes breakthrough design. Bill Coore states that Rod is as talented as any architect out there – and, Rod, Cabot will be a fine time for you to prove Bill right. You have the advantages of wind and as much sand as you can ever want. Even for those not interested in the X’s and O’s of architecture, the views of the ocean from every hole work in your favor as well. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, you enjoy the HUGE advantage of low humidity. With weather more akin to the United Kingdom, we are in the fortunate position to present UK playing conditions. Rod Whitman’s design, Erik Mac Pherson’s playing conditions and the kindness of the people in Inverness will bring golfers back for years to come (as will the single malt distillery!). Hopefully, the fame won’t go to Rod’s head. We’ll know it has when he comes out with his own clothing line, etc.

Rod in the dirt – it’s not a fashion contest.

7. To Ken Nice and crew at Bandon Trails – I understand that one can’t tell were fairways end and greens begin. This is the highest compliment I heard all year for the art of green keeping, and it came from a former green keeper who also happened to design the course.  Yes, I know this creates headaches for the card and pencil set who want to know if they can lift and clean their ball but for the rest of us, I can’t imagine more fun/ideal playing conditions. I hope to see it for myself in February but it sure sounds like you are maximizing the design attributes of the golf course and what more can any Green Keeper possibly do??

8. To those that have expressed interest in The Carthage Club – in a few years, I will get serious about seeing such a course come to fruition here in the sand hills of North Carolina, bringing back the English model of an affordable private club (with public access) to the United States. This is the exact model that the U.S. has gotten so wretchedly wrong. Golf in England remains a simple affair and we need desperately to return to those (inexpensive) roots. We as a group can - and indeed should - make The Carthage Club happen, complete with trollies, dogs, and changing shoes in the small, unpaved parking lot (i.e. think Brancaster).

9. To my CRUSHEE victims in 2006, I won’t go into any lengthy details of either the beatings or the floggings. In some ways, 2006 was a transition year. After having finally lost in 2005 in a taut  match (to Brad Faxon playing with his steels while I was - appropriately –  ;D forced to play with hickories) I essentially took 2006 off to re-tool my swing, and make it even more pressure proof. Jim Hardy’s one plane swing method is not something one should unleash on an unsuspecting world without warning. Common courtesy dictates as much. However, the swing coaches and lab technicians here at GolfClubAtlas.com’s world test headquarters say I’m ready, so consider this your fair warning (some sort of a blanket warning should also apply to those on an adjacent fairway  :-[).

10. Finally and obviously, thanks to you that spend time here. Also, to Tommy and Ben for your behind the scenes work that helps make GCA.com a place busy people voluntarily spend time.  2006 may have been our best year to date. Fueled by great discussions, great Feature Interviews, and some less than bad course profiles (though Abraham Lincoln might say that never have so many words been compressed into such small ideas), GCA.com’s page views doubled from calendar 2005 to calendar 2006. Also, more people gave from their wallet than ever before, a sure sign that people continue to see value in supporting this endeavor and that we are not growing stale. Everyone should take a look at the Contribution section and thank those people for the absence of pop-ups and other commercial intrusions (which I liken to cart paths  >:( ) that mare the enjoyment of 99% of other web sites. In a few days, we’ll be starting over, this time with PayPal (the reason that we have never had PayPal is because I am technologically inept but mercifully, Ben isn’t). We have already received ~25 donations for 2007 and I’ll post them this weekend. The first calendar quarter of expenses are likely provided for and GCA.com will continue to run commercial free. Being financially independent allows us to do whatever we want, including ruffling feathers. This is a great luxury that magazines don’t enjoy and we need to take advantage of it.

Up next on Monday: Tony Pioppi’s Feature Interview on nine hole courses – why so many people insist on showing how bad  ;) they are over eighteen holes rather than just nine holes is beyond me.

As one person recently said, GolfClubAtlas.com is more popular around the world than Tiger Woods. When I asked him to explain, he responded that GolfClubAtlas.com gets more monthly page views than Tigerwoods.com. Thus, with delusions of adequacy  :D GolfClubAtlas.com charges into 2007……

Cheers,
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 11:37:25 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Dan Kelly

Re:Happy wishes in 2007
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 11:08:47 AM »
8. To those that have expressed interest in The Carthage Club – in a few years, I will get serious about seeing such a course come to fruition here in the sand hills of North Carolina, bringing back the English model of an affordable private club (with public access) to the United States. This is the exact model that the U.S. has gotten so wretchedly wrong. Golf in England remains a simple affair and we need desperately to return to those (inexpensive) roots. We as a group can - and indeed should - make The Carthage Club happen, complete with trollies, dogs, and changing shoes in the small, unpaved parking lot (i.e. think Brancaster).

Happy wishes to you, too, sir.

Don"t be shy about telling us what we can do to make The Carthage Club happen.

I hope that you (or someone) will be documenting, in numbing detail, the development of Cabot Links.

Those aren't delusions.

Thanks.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mike Benham

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 11:18:56 AM »
Welcome back ... ;)

"... and I liked the guy ..."

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 11:22:57 AM »
Thanks Ran for all your work on the site.

As Tom Doak noted, I too hope you will jump in the discussions more often this year. Not so much because of your substantive views (which, of course, we will resist furiously ;)), but because of the tone you have set for GCA.

That tone is important to both the popularity and longevity of GCA.

Bob

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 11:38:16 AM »
As one person recently said, GolfClubAtlas.com is more popular around the world than Tiger Woods. When I asked him to explain, he responded that GolfClubAtlas.com gets more monthly page views than Tigerwoods.com. Thus, with delusions of adequacy  :D GolfClubAtlas.com charges into 2007……

Add Tiger to the CRUSHEE list!

:)

Happy New Year to you and yours as well, Ran - thanks for hosting all of us nutcases.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 12:21:16 PM »
Thanks Ran,

A happy and healthy new year to you and yours as well.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

JMorgan

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 12:22:37 PM »
Thanks for this great site, Ran.  A healthy and prosperous '07 to you and yours.

And thanks to all of you who teach me something new about gca every day.  

PS. I was very sad to see Dr. Terrie pass before I had the chance to introduce myself as a GCA'er/D-mouth alum and someone who admired all he did to bring Yeaman's Hall back.

JohnV

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 12:24:15 PM »
Ran,

Thanks to you and your now silent partner for starting this website way back when.

And don't forget that somewhere back there I was promised the job of Secretary at the Carthage Club.  I'm going to hold you to that. ;)

PS: The check is in the mail.

tlavin

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 12:25:11 PM »
Thanks, Ran, for supplying us with a much needed outlet for our passionate, if occasionally over-passionate, hobby.  Having the ability to read the contributions of the truly knowlegeable folks on this site, in combination with the rest of us amateurs is a real blessing.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 12:25:13 PM »
Who is Ran Morrissett ?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 12:27:20 PM »
Patrick:

Great question.

But of course you also gave the proper Jeopardy response to:

This man got crushed by Patrick Mucci at Sand Hills and several other great golf courses, and shameless begged for 9 freakin' strokes to take a hollow victory over Huckaby the one time they met head to head individually

Among many other humiliating possibilities, of course.

;D ;D

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 12:35:59 PM »
Tom Huckaby,

Oh, that Ran Morrissett.

That was in 2005 when Ran elevated whining for additional strokes to a new art form   ;D

It also happened to be one of the best matches, all three of them, that I ever had.  If only that pebble hadn't been there.
That was a great trip, even though TEPaul lost his ticket in the Denver airport.

I also loved setting TEPaul up by having a GREAT looking flight attendent approach TE to ask him if he was Bill Coore.
I could sell the video tape rights to that scene for a lot of money on this site.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 12:39:33 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 01:00:45 PM »
Pay Pal will increase contributions, I bet.  Suggest that the day it's ready, you post a thread titled, "You can now contribute to GCA.com with Pay Pal", or something like that.  Also, keep a permanent Pay Pal link on the index page for the DG.  

Best to everyone for a great 2007!

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 01:04:42 PM »
Ran,
Happy wishes to you, you do a bang up job.

P.S.
Humidity is great....  :)
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

TEPaul

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 01:04:59 PM »
Happy Wishes to you too Ran. Is this 2007? I thought it was 1927.

Patrick, that match (matches) of yours with Ran at SH was one of the most excruciating experiences any of us there have ever been through. Can you even imagine how horrible it was for all of us to have to sit there and watch you strut around like a peacock hallucinating on testosterone? Didn't you ever wonder why none of us said anything for at least 24 hours?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 01:10:03 PM by TEPaul »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 01:15:29 PM »
Patrick... a peacock hallucinating on testosterone...

Is this any different than the hallucinations we see him post every day?
 :)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 01:24:58 PM »
Best to you in the coming year, Ran. Thanks for the site.

I think I'd have to put "someday becoming a crushee" very high on my list of New Year's resolutions.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 01:28:09 PM »
TEPaul,

Since I lost the 12 shot match, the one Ran clings to, when on # 17, he holed a 30 foot birdie putt traveling at about half the speed of light, that was deflected into the hole by a rock that some depraved golfer, who was playing the course backwards, left on the green, I think you've got me confused with Ran.

And, Ran wasn't strutting, he was hopping and skipping until he bagan to float on cloud 9.

As to why noone spoke, I think it had something to do with someone leaving all of the lights on in their room and all the doors and windows open when they went to dinner that night.

Upon returning to the room to discuss golf course architecture, every person in attendance was bitten by every flying and crawling critter in the state of Nebraska.  As a result they were speechless, numb and/or sore, depending upon what bit them and where, for a day or two.

How quickly you forget.

JMEvensky

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 03:35:37 PM »
     This seems like a good place for my first post.I came upon this site several years ago while Googling a golf course upon which I was to play a tournament.I have lurked incessantly and obsessively ever since.
     After reading a few thousand posts,I became a true believer of the fast/firm school of maintenance.Foolishly given the power to oversee these things at my home course by the membership,I decided to consult the 2 most prominent gurus on GCA-Tom Paul and Patrick Mucci.
     Each was more generous than the other with their time and suggestions.As most of you can imagine,they had different approaches with regard to how best to get the membership on board with the possible change in maintenance practices.Tom Paul is of the "slow,reasoned discussions with many small groups of members" school.Pat Mucci is more of a "screw the idiot non-believers" type guy.I chose option "B".As soon as I learn how,I'll post pictures of me being burned in effigy in front of the clubhouse.
     Kidding aside,this site has taught me a lot of things.First,nothing is as much fun as playing good courses but learning what makes them good is close.Second,never follow Mucci's suggestions where members are concerned.
     Ran,my sincere thanks for a great website and the invitation to contribute and hopes for a great 2007 to you and everyone else on here.
     PS-As a newbie,could someone tell me who designed Merion and who do I call about access to Augusta National?

Jeff

Dan Kelly

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 03:43:28 PM »
PS-As a newbie,could someone tell me who designed Merion and who do I call about access to Augusta National?

A. Charles Blair Macdonald, with an assist from someone named Wilson.

B. Clifford Roberts.

Welcome!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 05:54:42 PM »
    This seems like a good place for my first post.I came upon this site several years ago while Googling a golf course upon which I was to play a tournament.I have lurked incessantly and obsessively ever since.
     After reading a few thousand posts,I became a true believer of the fast/firm school of maintenance.Foolishly given the power to oversee these things at my home course by the membership,I decided to consult the 2 most prominent gurus on GCA-Tom Paul and Patrick Mucci.
     Each was more generous than the other with their time and suggestions.As most of you can imagine,they had different approaches with regard to how best to get the membership on board with the possible change in maintenance practices.Tom Paul is of the "slow,reasoned discussions with many small groups of members" school.Pat Mucci is more of a "screw the idiot non-believers" type guy.I chose option "B".As soon as I learn how,I'll post pictures of me being burned in effigy in front of the clubhouse.
     Kidding aside,this site has taught me a lot of things.First,nothing is as much fun as playing good courses but learning what makes them good is close.Second,never follow Mucci's suggestions where members are concerned.
     Ran,my sincere thanks for a great website and the invitation to contribute and hopes for a great 2007 to you and everyone else on here.

Jeff

Jeff,

You smoked Mucci, you tweeked the Philly guys and you proved yourself to be an access whore on the first post. That is an awesome start at GCA.com.  :D

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 10:30:01 PM »
Mike Sweeney,

Jeff forgot the rules, especially rule # 1 and rule # 2.

Rule # 1   Assess your membership
Rule # 2   Assess your power base

Rule # 3   If you get # 1 and # 2 right, proceed as indicated.

Rule # 4   If you get # 1 and # 2 wrong, cover your asses  ;D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 10:33:47 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

ward peyronnin

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 11:28:59 PM »
Ran,

I have witnessed you elevated from America's guest to the World's guest ( Hoylake guest of honor and totally random salutation in Royal Portrush parking lot from the clubhouse bar terrace).

Truly the poster boy for GCA. Best of luck in all your endeavors in 2007.

Ward P
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

TEPaul

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 11:38:22 PM »
JeffE:

Welcome, my friend, and Happy Wishes to you and your course in 2007 and on. Great first post there. Whatever you do, don't ever lose that humor on here.

I'm so sorry you listened to Mucci instead of me in how to deal with your members. But live and learn, I guess. You're lucky they just burned you in effigy. You don't know Patrick but when you meet him it's impossible to miss he has a seriously scorched ass from years of disrepecting members.

You defnitely need to take my friendly and measured approach to your membership. It's actually kinda fun to see if you can act like you think some member's opinion is interesting and that he really knows what he's talking about when you know there's no question he has the architectural intelligent of a troglodyte.

But the measured approach works wonders most all the time. For the other rare times it doesn't perhaps I forgot to tell you the only recourse is to sweep back your suit jacket with a flourish and take the heat outta da holster and lay it on the table rather gently. That generally gets their undivided support for whatever you're selling.

Seriously, it made our day that you called and asked for advice. It made us feel like we actually know something.  ;)

Both Pat and I and Ran and others hope that someday this website really can serve as a real collaborative resource for many things to many people.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 11:42:10 PM by TEPaul »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2007, 11:58:26 PM »
Jeff,

TEPaul was scorched and rejected at his first membership meeting for his project.

On the other side of the coin, the membership overwhelmingly approved my project at the first membership meeting.

You must go back and reread the rules, which TEPaul evidently didn't understand, or worse yet, didn't make the proper assessments.

Rule # 1 and Rule # 2 are critical to the success of any project.

P.S.  TEPaul had to hold dozens of subsequent meetings.
        I held one and played golf while he was making up
        and posting charts, drawings, photos and letters.
        When that didn't work, he invited the members to his
        farm to ride horses, milk the chickens and pluck the
        cows.   That's when the members started to worry.
        That's when they finally decided to vote for what was
        presented, fearing that he would make alternative
        proposals that would be far worse, like telling the
        members that he could build them an even better golf
        course, one that could be played at night, if only they'd
        swap land with the American Radium and Processed
        Plutonium Company's dump site.   Once they
        heard his alternate proposal, they voted for a modified
        version of the originally proposal.

P.S.S.  The reason the bugs followed him around at Sand Hills
          at night was due to the fact that he was glowing from
          too many visits to the American Radium and Processed
          Plutonium Company's dump site.

P.S.S.S   He's the only one who didn't need a cart with
             headlights to tour Sand Hills at night.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 11:59:56 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back