News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Links Magazine
« on: January 09, 2007, 10:51:25 AM »
This month's issue features a good bit of writing by Mr Doak, including:

1.  Doak Scale Ratings of most of the major Australian courses
2.  44 decisions - an article on decisions made in a day of building a course
3.  Profiles of Kapalua Plantation, Pennard and a couple of other courses.
4.  An explanation of the Doak Scale

Definitely worth a look

Scott_Burroughs

Jason Topp

Re:Links Magazine
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
Glad to see I'm on top of things!

Tim Copeland

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 11:33:22 AM »
Glad to see I'm on top of things!

You got more responses than he did

You got that going for you.............which is nice
I need a nickname so I can tell all that I know.....

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 12:18:12 PM »
I think this topic started here.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=27322;start=msg517922#msg517922

When Peter posted, he bumped John Kirk's thread that is featured in the magazine, so the responses to Peter took place there.

So Jason, you are still in last place on responses.  ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 12:22:53 PM »
It seems to be common that some magazines appear on the newstands before they are sent to subscribers - I wonder what the thinking is behind this?

David Stamm

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 12:42:15 PM »
It seems to be common that some magazines appear on the newstands before they are sent to subscribers - I wonder what the thinking is behind this?

Jerry, I don't know, but to quote "All the Presidents Men", follow the money.... What would be in it for the publisher to do that? I'm sure there's some money reason behind it, because I have noticed the same thing.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 01:29:17 PM »
Could it be that they want to sell the magazine to subscribers that aren't willing to wait for a particular issue at home?

Take for example Wine Spectator. It comes out on the newstand with the best 100. If you wait for the copy to arrive at home, the best 50 are sold out and you are stuck with the next best 50. Of course you are a real sucker if you subscribe to this magazine, because they sell subscriptions to their web site where the information shows up first. These subscriptions are password protected. Guess what, a lot of those passwords get shared, so as a magazine subscriber you are paying for late information that others get early for free.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 01:29:57 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

peter_p

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 03:56:41 PM »

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 03:59:23 PM »

I just got mine in the mail yesterday. Shows you how much being a long time subscriber pays off.

peter_p

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 04:04:55 PM »
talk to the mail deliverer or their supervisor. But it could be a weather delay.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 04:05:57 PM by Peter Pittock »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 04:43:31 PM »
With Craig now living in OK, and all their ice and snow storms, he'd be better off getting his mail by dog sled, like we do here on the frozen tundra!  ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 08:28:21 PM »
I got my copy about three weeks ago and it was one of those free subscription offers that's not a trail subscription. I'm not sure how the magazine business works but I got my renewal from Golfweek recently. The original subscription I bought off ebay and I can renew through ebay for half the cost of the renewal through Golfweek.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 08:47:15 AM »
I got my copy on Monday. great issue. John Kirk's piece was spot on.
Mr Hurricane

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 11:43:55 PM »
Often the USPS is to blame. That's why I received the most recent two issues of Golf World (1/12 and 1/19) on Wednesday. Crazy.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back