News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Witter

Lost Emmett? with Pictures
« on: November 20, 2006, 03:33:51 PM »
There is much to be said for pictures...are they worth a thousand words each?  Having recently spent some quality time at Copake CC, Mark Fine and I can say that actually being there is truly worth much more and we are looking forward to reawakening this interesting golf experience.

Below is a small sampling of what we encountered.  I am going to try one picture first and if successful I'll return with more

The front bunker at the 3rd hole
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 03:41:25 PM by Scott Witter »

Scott Witter

Re:Lost Emmett? with Pictures
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 03:36:07 PM »
Okay...so back to the photobucket drawing board...I'll tell you what, I am much better with a scale in my hands and standing over a 300 acre topo plan!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 03:38:08 PM »
You have a bracket backwards at the end of the image line.

Photobucket should have an img link you can select and then paste into your posts, thereby preventing such mess ups.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim Thompson

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 03:40:00 PM »

Jim Thompson

Scott Witter

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 03:44:19 PM »
Wait just a damn minute here Mr. Thompson, I don't remember you being at Copake CC with Mark Fine and I, so could/would you please explain how you posted this picture??

Garland... thanks

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 03:47:29 PM »
Wait just a damn minute here Mr. Thompson, I don't remember you being at Copake CC with Mark Fine and I, so could/would you please explain how you posted this picture??

Garland... thanks

Scott - he took your URL you first had up there and fixed the backwards ] in the IMG tag at the end - cut and pasted it with the correct ], as it were.  I did the same thing just to see this pic, deleted it when I saw Jim's work.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 03:48:13 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Scott Witter

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 03:54:46 PM »
Thanks Huck, I believe I was going to have to call BIG Jim Thompson out on that one ;)

More pictures coming soon and Sean, I think you like others as well.  That similar green site is repeated at the 6th, 7th, 14th, 16th, 17th and 18th holes with minimal bunkering.

Jim Thompson

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 03:56:15 PM »
Scott,

Hope this helps:

Case doesn't matter either as in  IMG or img.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 03:58:50 PM by Jim Thompson »
Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 03:57:37 PM »
Tom,

Funny thing is I saw yours and deleted mine too.  Then saw you deleted and repeated.
Jim Thompson

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 03:58:34 PM »
Tom,

Funny thing is I saw yours and deleted mine too.  Then saw you deleted and repeated.

I know!  You and I are both too polite.   ;D

Scott Witter

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 04:04:01 PM »
More pictures:

The challenging uphill approach from the 2nd landing area at the 18th

The lost bunker behind the green at #2

The 5th green, one of most with the old squared-off corners

'cop bunker' in the 7th fairway

#12, a par 3 - 162 yards

#17, 188 yard par 3 currently, with a reverse angle of the green site from #15 shown before
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 04:05:30 PM by Scott Witter »

JMorgan

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 04:23:32 PM »

Wow!  What immediately struck me about this pic is the back left of the green.  That is very cool.  Usually this type of green has mounds to contain approaches, much like directly behind the green.  This is the kind of thing that really excites me about architecture and a great example of what I mean about alternatives to bunkering.  

Ciao

Sean,
Compare this pic with a pic of the rear of #15 green at Leatherstocking that I posted a few months ago.  
-JM

Scott Witter

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 04:27:24 PM »
Jim Morgan:

I do remember that picture and I have been to Leatherstocking some years ago...could you send me that photo.  My email address is in my profile

Thanks

JMorgan

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 04:42:30 PM »
Sure thing, Scott... I'll send them this evening.  Do you want pics of other holes, as well?  

Mark_Fine

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2006, 04:51:49 PM »
James,
Thanks for sending those to Scott.  I have a whole series of photos from my visit to Leatherstocking as well and it will be fun to compare.  George Bahto and I have talked about Leatherstocking and we both think Mr. Raynor might have had his hand in play on that one along with Emmett.

Scott Witter

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2006, 06:17:27 PM »
James:

Go ahead with the one picture and lets wait until I have reviewed the pictures from Mark until I request more from you.  Thanks for the offer.

James Bennett

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 05:50:54 AM »
More pictures:

#12, a par 3 - 162 yards

Scott

my apologies if I cause any offence here, but I have taken the liberty of selecting one of your images, cropping it and reposting it.  I wanted to highlight what I thought was a most gorgeous hole.  Thanks.  Hope this is ok.

James B

edit - damn.  Outsmarted myself.  ::) I have cropped the photo, but have ended up with a smaller size screen display.  Any techos out there with a suggestion to 'resize' the photo display back up?  Or is that it?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 05:56:38 AM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 06:52:29 AM »
James,

Why re-size?  Your image illustrates the hole fine and doesn't cause any of the screen width problems so often caused by photo posting.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Scott Witter

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 08:16:40 AM »
James:

No offense taken, feel free to send my copyright infringement check any time you like. :D  This hole does have the ingredients of something special. You don't want to be long here as the recovery is 8-9 feet below the green and from and awkward lie.  We believe there were two deep flanking bunkers as well and hope to restore them to their imposing rank.  They would really set off the green pad nicely and place even more attention to accuracy.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 12:05:58 PM »
Scott,
Isn't there also the possibility of a rear bunker on #12?

What can't be perceived from the photo is how the green slopes away from front to back. I don't think you could call it 'tiered', but the first 2/3's of its surface is littered with little mounds and swales, making any chip or putt from the front to a back pin challenging, to say the least. Also, it is a rare occurence to play this hole sans wind, I've seen 5 clubs of difference, and the intensity and direction from which it blows can change mid-swing.  

The photo of #18 green is misleading, it makes the green look too serene!   :o  If a player was standing on the front left of the green he would have to putt the ball almost all the way to the back left corner and let the ball trickle down to where the flag is located in this photo. You'll see this location used quite often and it's as good to put an approach shot flag high in the right rough as it is to be anywhere else.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Scott Witter

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2006, 01:10:06 PM »
Jim:

I agree with you about #12 and something Mark and I looked at closely along with countless other old bunker locations.  Many are obvious and their return will add much lost strategy and character, others will take more evaluation in time.

You are also right about the fall away slope on the putting surface...the perfect opportunity for this great feature don't you think?  We didn't experience the wind which can obvious influence many critical shots on this layout and we will be taking this into consideration with our work.

The 18th green IS remarkable. :o  Mark and I played a bunch of holes and various approach shots during our trip and this approach shot in particular, as well the one on the 7th hole, was to say the least colorful.  Once we got to the green we backed off and shifted left and right to observe the wild slope with different pitch shots and the player must take this severe slope into account...but that is what makes it fun :D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back