News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Winged Foot: Graveyard of Champions
« on: October 16, 2006, 02:57:56 PM »
I wrote this piece in memory of my cousin Maryanne who died of cancer this July.  She had stomach and pancreas cancer and died two and a half months after the first detection at the age of 55.  We spent almost every Christmas night together ending the evening sipping cappucino, catching each other up on the family and laughing long and loudly at life simple little treasures.  If any silver lining may be found, we all think the rest of us growing even closer.  I hope you guys like this one:

http://www.golfobserver.com/features/Flemma/WingedFoot_101506.php
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 02:58:29 PM by Jay Flemma »

John Kavanaugh

Re:Winged Foot: Graveyard of Champions
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 03:01:12 PM »
Jay,

You need a new head shot...are you wearing an ear ring.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 03:06:59 PM »
No, I'm not wearing an ear ring?!?  You sure you're looking at me?  If there is a phantom earring in there, it belongs to Nancy - she would be standing on the left - if we didn't crop it.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 04:15:06 PM »
JK - mystery solved.  here's what the pic looks like in its entirety...

« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 04:15:38 PM by Jay Flemma »

Pat Howard

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 04:32:24 PM »
Great piece Jay, you're a very gifted writer. I hope to one day do battle at WF!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 04:41:27 PM »
Thanks, Pat.

You have the BEST tagline!  Nothing to be alarmed about... ;D ;D

Anthony Butler

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 06:41:40 PM »
Jay,

Great piece, but I'm sure glad I didn't read it before the last time I played the 18th at Winged Foot.

I tried to bend a 5 iron around those very same trees and managed to run it up near where Norman's third shot stopped in 1984. Naturally being an Australian I holed the putt... it's just a thing we Aussies have for the 18th at WFW. ;D

In my case it prevented a couple of sandbaggers from Olympic from stealing several hundred dollars out of my wallet. GOOD TIMES... 8)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 06:42:51 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 09:05:44 AM »
Jay,

Who is Nancy...Interesting body language..she doesn't like you much, does she.  I'd recommend a head shot of yourself that is more casual. The intense crazy eyes pose doesn't lend themself very well to a golf persona.  Look at the other shots on GolfObserver...except for Shack's junior prom shot the guys all look like they are headed for the first tee and a good time...not a smackdown.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 10:18:02 AM »
If it makes you happy, Kav, I'll find another pic.  Maybe bance and I will pose for another one this weekend for ya.

Nice to see Australia in the treehouse, Anthony!  Way to roll one in on one of the toughest greens on the course. ;)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 10:19:04 AM by Jay Flemma »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 10:20:24 AM »
Jay,

Just trying to help...If Nancy is your wife you might want to pose with her and not in front of her.  Tell you that you are sorry before it is too late...note: A nice golf hat would shave two strokes from your game.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 10:50:49 AM »
I have "yes, dear" down to a science.  Sorry, but I only wear a hat in cold weather to keep my dome warm.  

Nancy and I were both just commenting how much we like that pic.  Its charming.  She's actually wearing the same outfit she wore on the day we met.  She marveled that I remembered that...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 10:59:29 AM »
Jay,

Don't you find it curious that I could tell from your pic that you don't wear a golf hat.  It is hard to generate club head speed when concerned about your hair...I bet a hat would get you that extra 20yds you must be craving.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 11:06:03 AM »
With my new driver, I have the 20 yds...but I still think 454 ccs should be outlawed...

Anthony Butler

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 11:06:43 AM »
Nice to see Australia in the treehouse, Anthony!  Way to roll one in on one of the toughest greens on the course. ;)

As I recall, the putt was worth about $350. It also got me a Earl Woods style bear hug and kiss on the cheek from a managing partner at Morgan Stanley. I don't think the $350 meant much to him, but the fact he wouldn't have to listen to some 10 marker from West Coast talk about the day he took him down on his home course did!

BTW-I was not as far left as Phil and I had to bend my shot about 20 yds... it's amazing to me that he would even try a shot like that when he's meant to have the best short game in the world. The odds of him hitting that green would be about 10-1 and most likely whatever lie he ended up with off the green would provide less of an opportunity to get up and down than 50 yds away in the fairway which is where he could have put a 9 iron.

Why would a 3 time majors champion think that a 40% chance to win (approx. odds of the up/down) and a certain playoff versus a guy who has never really been in contention in a major is such a bad deal? Bad decisions made due to Phil's lack of confidence is the one thing your journey to the dark side doesn't touch... then again most reports passed over that. It's almost like he thought he would only win if he got it over as quickly as possible....
Next!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 11:11:22 AM »
With my new driver, I have the 20 yds...but I still think 454 ccs should be outlawed...

So you hit it 220 now....do you have carpel tunnel.  In all seriousness you might want to get your thyroid checked.  I was recently diagnosed with Graves disease and it can cause weakness along with buggy eyes.  This has been the shortest I have ever hit the ball in my life but hope to regain my strength when my new meds kick in..

Jay Flemma

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 12:37:52 PM »
The odds of him hitting that green would be about 10-1 and most likely whatever lie he ended up with off the green would provide less of an opportunity to get up and down than 50 yds away in the fairway which is where he could have put a 9 iron.

Why would a 3 time majors champion think that a 40% chance to win (approx. odds of the up/down) and a certain playoff versus a guy who has never really been in contention in a major is such a bad deal? Bad decisions made due to Phil's lack of confidence is the one thing your journey to the dark side doesn't touch... then again most reports passed over that. It's almost like he thought he would only win if he got it over as quickly as possible....

During the post-round flash interview, he said he really thought he had a clear shot at it and did exactly the same thing he did on the drive...not rotate his hips enough - read:  tightening up - and hit it right of target from the get go.

SPDB

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 01:11:09 PM »
Jay - Just out of curiosity, did your cousin have any connection to WF? When you said it was written in her memory, I figured there would be something in the article.

Thanks

Jay Flemma

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2006, 01:24:25 PM »
No, she had no connection to Winged Foot...I was writing it between when she died and when she was buried and it helped me focus during that tough time.  It turned into a somewhat medicinal thing for me, so I dedicated the piece to her.  

The family is glad I dedicated it to her too...just a small way of remembering all the positive things she did for us and it was a thrill for them to see it up on Golf Observer.

We all miss her terribly.  She was young and vibrant and kept us all together.  She was humble and kind, yet had a rapier wit and was fiercely loyal to the family.  My cousin Patti said it best "I may be bossy, but Maryanne was the boss!"

I wanted to at least shine a little positive light during an otherwise dark time.  Instead of merely mourning her loss, we now celebrate her memory.  It helps a little.  We're trying to keep the same outlook during the holidays.  Doing positive things in someone's memory is much more uplifting to the survivors than just rattling around the house missing someone and it helps get through the first holidays without a loved one.

She has two terrfic kids, Eddie Jr. and Annemarie and a fantastic husband Eddie.  They may never have played Winged Foot or been to a PGA tournament, bu they are truly the salt of the Earth...hearts of oak.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 02:49:05 PM by Jay Flemma »

Ed_Baker

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2006, 03:08:25 PM »
Jay,

What a wonderful way to honor someone that you love. Your writing is superb. You have my respect and admiration sir, I'm sure the two Eddie's and Annemarie are grateful for a caring extended family.

I'm kind of partial to Eddie's, I have a son and a grandson with that exhaulted moniker. Peace to your entire family as the holidays approach.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2006, 03:13:01 PM »
Thanks Ed...and hey, GREAT musical quote!  Lord knows we have lots of huge Van mo fams around here.  FWIW->  VanMo is Jim Engh'sm favorite artist...he's trying to teach his son the same thing, but little Brian is partial to LedZep...

Dan Boerger

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 03:50:27 PM »
Jay - Really nice piece, and a touching dedication to someone who certainly left us too soon. As someone who grew up in Utica, I appreciate your writings and CNY references on occasion. -Dan
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2006, 03:56:43 PM »
Jay,

Does linking all these articles make you or GolfObserver money.  Are you guys or the site owner paid by advertisers per hit...not to be cynical or anything.  Even though I don't read them..I do enjoy what's on your mind, so keep it up if you must.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2006, 03:58:00 PM »
So where do you get your greens from, Dan...Trackside, Joe's or that place on Bleecker whose name escapes me?

Joe's..."Whaddya think this is, Trinkaus Manor?  No, we dont have butter!"

JK...No, none of the links make me money. Notice there's no ads on my site either.  There are ads on GO, but I dont get any money by the hit or link or anything.

You guys are the cogniscenti and intelligentsia (sp?)...it purely an academic exercise.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 04:02:33 PM by Jay Flemma »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2006, 04:05:01 PM »
Jay,

There are ads on the GolfObserver site.  Are you paid for your contributions to GolfObserver...if not...what does the sponser money go for and if it is not for profit...why..

I have never understood how a little Titleist ad or Amazon link would hurt Golfclubatlas....

Jay Flemma

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2006, 04:11:55 PM »
My deals with my publishers are our business and ours alone.  I get paid like every other golf writer gets paid...whether Shack and Huggan or Brauer and Mingay or anybody else.  No...I dont get paid by the hit or by the link or any thing else that has to do with traffic.  That was a piece I promised to GO that I liked and thought was interesting and linked to it because that's where it got published.  If people wanna read it, that's where they have to go.  I thought others might enjoy the mix of golf story and gothic novel...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back