News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Butler

Have we overlooked this course?
« on: October 11, 2006, 09:34:40 AM »

Found a review on this course The Cut the other day from none other than our own Matthew Mollica in which he is highly complementary of the layout. I can't, however, seem to locate a discussion on GCA on the course.

Designed by a guy called James Wilcher, who I am not familiar with, this course doesn't seem to have created nearly the same waves as Barnbougle or even Kennedy Bay, which is located only about a 25 minute drive away.

http://www.iseekgolf.com/coursereviews/review.php?cr_id=21
Next!

John Kavanaugh

Re:Have we overlooked this course?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 09:40:06 AM »
I don't believe I have ever seen a better reason to deny a permit.

JESII

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 10:26:40 AM »

John,

Every once in a while your perspective (and more to the point, your expression) rings true with me. Without having seen the course in person that sure looks like a fantastic environment...pre-golf course.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 10:29:46 AM »

I know you live far away from the ocean and even further away from Australia, John, so you'll have to take my word on this:

Once they've decided to develop a piece of oceanfront property in Australia, something's going in there, no matter who they have to pay off on the local council. If not this golf course, something a hell of a lot worse... for a view on seaside development in Australia, rent 'Muriel's Wedding".

In all seriousness the only reason this course was built was due to environmental action. The course rests on a piece of land between the Indian Ocean and an estuary that was becoming clogged with the runoff from piggeries, bauxite processing and other such businesses.

The river you see on the course map below is the "Dawesville Cut" and was built by the WA government to increase the tidal influx into the estuary, flush it out and return some of the biodiversity lost through the effluent build up caused by these businesses. I imagine they are probably large lobbyist/donors and the government wouldn't want to shut them down for fear of "losing jobs".   ??? ???

Piggery or Golf Course?  I'm giving the permit to the golf course. Which I don't think looks too bad at all...

Next!

JESII

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 10:35:22 AM »
Anthony,

I am sure John will pipe in his thoughts, but my view was certainly not derrogatory about the golf course at all but rather an awestruck vision about the setting as it must have been in its natural form. Your comments certainly shed a new light on that and carry the debate (if there actually was one), thank you.

ForkaB

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 10:39:23 AM »
Chill out guys

John is just pissed off that the cart paths are concrete and not asphalt.....

Dan Kelly

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 10:50:25 AM »
Chill out guys

John is just pissed off that the cart paths are concrete and not asphalt.....

The cart path on the picture on this thread looks (at least to my old eyes, on my old computer) like brick!

I don't know about the course, but I like the name ("Can you make The Cut today, mate?") and the logo (except for that triangular flag).
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 11:22:15 AM »

If not this golf course, something a hell of a lot worse... for a view on seaside development in Australia, rent 'Muriel's Wedding".

Why rent it when I have owned Muriel's Wedding for years.  Huge ABBA fan and have continued to follow the careers of both lead actresses.  Most notably the large bird like woman who played a prominent role in Six Feet Under.

Those cart paths do look like brick and may be the most beautiful I have ever seen.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 11:37:43 AM »
Why rent it when I have owned Muriel's Wedding for years.  Huge ABBA fan and have continued to follow the careers of both lead actresses.  Most notably the large bird like woman who played a prominent role in Six Feet Under.

Those cart paths do look like brick and may be the most beautiful I have ever seen.

Burn me a copy of "Muriel's Wedding," won't you?  ;)

Is this (Rachel Griffiths) the large, bird-like woman you have in mind?

http://tinyurl.com/g6ecf
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 11:56:30 AM »
That is her...The people of Six Feet Under were such a sad lot.  Even looking at the picture you posted disgusts me.  Send me an IM with your address and I will send you out my copy.  (DVD format)

John_Cullum

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 12:09:42 PM »
Was she somehow connected with ABBA? I thought there was some great acting in Six Feet Under, and I loved the funeral home theme.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 12:14:37 PM »
Rachel is currently in the new ABC series "Brothers and Sisters" and is the best character, IMHO. Wasn't she also the wife in "The Rookie"?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 12:25:54 PM »
Was she somehow connected with ABBA? I thought there was some great acting in Six Feet Under, and I loved the funeral home theme.

Muriel's Wedding centers around a fatty pig fatty girl and her slut girl friend (Rachel).  They do an excellent rendition of Dancing Queen in full get up...ABBA at its best.

Anthony Butler

Since we are already OT... A great Rachel Griffiths Story.
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 12:44:29 PM »
Rachel is currently in the new ABC series "Brothers and Sisters" and is the best character, IMHO. Wasn't she also the wife in "The Rookie"?

About 8 years ago I was working as a creative director at George Pattersons in Sydney when one of my art guys made the "the Cut" in that year's Tropfest...

Most Americans will not be familiar with this event. So I'll include the URL at the end of this post, but it is an annual short film festival that has turned into a rather large cultural event in most Australian capitals.... it usually attracts a fair share of our film royalty (Nicole, Russell, Toni, Bryan... ) to act as judges or provide some other support to the showing of the final entries, which attracts crowds of up to 30,000 at various outdoor venues throughout the summer.

Cut a long story short, we are standing in the VIP section when Rachel Griffiths (a judge that year) comes by and asks who we are... I tell her my mate's film made the finals. She says a few nice things about the short... sensing the moment is right my employee hands me a camera asks me to take a snap of him and Rachel. Just before taking the photo I suggest that Rachel give him a congratulatory kiss for making the final list. She grabs the guy's head and plants one right on his lips.

I said, "You just made his week, his month, his year..."

Her response: "That's nothing... if your mate won, I would have put the tongue in..."

Now imagine Gwyneth Paltrow doing that... only in Australia.. ;D

http://www.tropfest.com/
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 07:25:40 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Anthony Butler

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 12:47:36 PM »

Muriel's Wedding centers around a fatty pig fatty girl and her slut girl friend (Rachel).  They do an excellent rendition of Dancing Queen in full get up...ABBA at its best.

Check your DVD, John, they perform 'Waterloo' at a talent contest on one of the island holiday resorts located near the Great Barrier Reef.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 12:53:25 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2006, 01:02:57 PM »

Check your DVD, John, they perform 'Waterloo' at a talent contest on one of the island holiday resorts located near the Great Barrier Reef.

It doesn't get any better than that.  I might watch the movie before the Cardinal's game tonight.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2006, 01:30:41 PM »

It doesn't get any better than that.  I might watch the movie before the Cardinal's game tonight.

Personally I love Muriel's Dad, "Bill the Battler", For most of the 90s there was a law in Australia that you could not make a feature film without casting Bill Hunter in some role. He's a dead set legend.

BTW-read an article this morning about the Red Sox passing up on Pujols in the draft after scouting him for six months... He wanted them to include $30,000 in education expenses in his signing bonus and they said no. I guess Dan Duquette figured since he was a moron and he got to be GM of the Red Sox, why would anyone else need an education.  ??? ???

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/10/11/one_that_got_away
Next!

Scott Witter

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2006, 01:34:14 PM »
I'm going to send one over the bow and ask why there are containment mounds as seen in the second photo posted by Anthony Butler?  :P Could it be because of environmental restrictions to collect drainage water first?  Maybe they should 'CUT' them down ;)

Anthony Butler

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2006, 02:45:25 PM »
I'm going to send one over the bow and ask why there are containment mounds as seen in the second photo posted by Anthony Butler?  :P Could it be because of environmental restrictions to collect drainage water first?  Maybe they should 'CUT' them down ;)

That's an interesting question... I know the annual rainfall in this area of WA is quite low. The situation with many golf courses in Australia is that they are responsible for generating their own water supply... it certainly is that way at NSWGC and a bunch of other notable clubs.

Based on the history of this spot, I am going to hazard a guess that most of the stuff dredged out of the sea access canal in the picture below, if it was usable, ended up on the golf course which seems slightly built up from it's sea level surrounds... Therefore immediately grassing most of it with a golf course was probably a sound environmental idea, as the winds would take about 2 inches off each year...  

Next!

Joe Hancock

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2006, 03:24:39 PM »

That's an interesting question... I know the annual rainfall in this area of WA is quite low. The situation with many golf courses in Australia is that they are responsible for generating their own water supply... it certainly is that way at NSWGC and a bunch of other notable clubs.

Based on the history of this spot, I am going to hazard a guess that most of the stuff dredged out of the sea access canal in the picture below, if it was usable, ended up on the golf course which seems slightly built up from it's sea level surrounds... Therefore immediately grassing most of it with a golf course was probably a sound environmental idea, as the winds would take about 2 inches off each year...  

Anthony,

Where did you get that "2 inch" figure? Also, there looks to be vegetation on the areas that are not golf course. Do you see that vegetation as insufficient to prevent substantial wind erosion? If so, is that opinion based on surrounding dunes areas that have a different type or level of vegetation than that seen in these pictures?

Thanks,

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

TEPaul

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2006, 04:44:11 PM »
Is there anyone on here who'll deny that Kavanaugh's sense of humor is near world class? I really feel for anyone on here who takes him dead seriously all the time. ;)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 04:44:39 PM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 04:48:36 PM »
If I owned that golf course shown in the photo above I'd put a mechanized volcano underneath that back tee on the hole in that photo above and if some yahoo who didn't deserve to be on that back tee snuck on there and tried to hit a drive I'd push a button and blast him up somewhere near the jetstream.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 04:49:32 PM by TEPaul »

tonyt

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2006, 04:56:57 PM »
Designed by a guy called James Wilcher, who I am not familiar with

James Wilcher is a former Greg Norman employee. He has another course on the east coast as well.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2006, 06:10:09 PM »
If I owned that golf course shown in the photo above I'd put a mechanized volcano underneath that back tee on the hole in that photo above and if some yahoo who didn't deserve to be on that back tee snuck on there and tried to hit a drive I'd push a button and blast him up somewhere near the jetstream.

Tom,

There's all kinds of volcano-like protuberances on this thread. Which only confirms the relevance of the essay I did for KBM and friends a couple years ago, when they had that contest. I should have won.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

James Bennett

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2006, 06:24:45 PM »
Matthew Mollica did write well of 'The Cut'.  I haven't seen it, so all I have is hearsay.  Matthew's lofty views did not seem to be universally held by his co-raters.  And the people who I know that played it found it a difficult play - They referred to it as a variation of 'The Cut' but with an extra letter added.:o  I suspect they had some fun looking for lost balls, but I don't know for sure.

I would appreciate any other comment on the course, that might clarify what is good and not so good about it.

James B

ps  Muriel, you are aawwffful  (classic movie, absolutely classic.  I now know I share something in taste with John Kavanaugh! ::) )
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back