News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John_Conley

Which course has THE MOST VARIED PAR 4s?
« on: October 09, 2006, 12:53:54 AM »
I recently experienced a round where I reflected on the remarkable variety of two-shot holes.  What courses do you feel have great par 4s of all sorts?

cary lichtenstein

Re:Which course has THE MOST VARIED PAR 4s?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 04:13:09 AM »
The Quarry at Giants RIdge
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Mark Pearce

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 06:55:45 AM »
Thinking about this I'd say that my club (The Northumberland GC) has a very varied set of par 4s, offering more variety than anywhere else I can think of quickly.  
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 07:06:29 AM »
I'd be a fool to try and answer this question definitively, but Machrihanish certainly has an incredibly diverse set of par 4s that I never tire of playing.

Cheers,
Darren

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 07:12:50 AM »
Crystal Downs.

The great short par 4s are well known.  The long fours of 1, 2 and 13 are all great.  Then the ones that are mid-length 4, 12 and 18 are all really good.  12 may be the only one anybody can find fault with.  

David_Madison

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 07:54:45 AM »
Cuscowilla comes to mind as such a course - - wonderful very short fours, a good variety in the middle range, and some long ones requiring a variety of shots. Many different looks and greens complexes, some with run-up possibilities and others better flown in.

Michael Moore

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 08:23:01 AM »
Merion Golf Club (East Course)
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 08:32:32 AM »

#7 - short par 4
#8 - short par 4
#10 - short par 4
#11 - short par 4
#12 - shortish par 4

Next!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 08:38:38 AM »
I recently experienced a round where I reflected on the remarkable variety of two-shot holes.  What courses do you feel have great par 4s of all sorts?

Not just cause Tony Bennett is on Imus...but you must have loved San Francisco GC...Glad you didn't have to wait till Monday.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 08:44:38 AM by John Kavanaugh »

David_Elvins

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 08:49:16 AM »
Doak's St Andrews Beach has 12 of the most diverse (and interesting) par 4 you are ever likely to see.  From the 5th to the 15th there are 9 par 4s yet not a single player I have ever played with has ever noticed any kind of monotony.  

There is great diversity in length with two sub 300 yard Par 4s and one 500 yard Par 4.  Yet the most impressive thing to me is Holes 7-10, four consecutive Par 4s playing up and back the same valley, all medium length (360-425 yards) yet all offering completely different looks and challenges.  

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Michael Moore

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 09:04:38 AM »

#7 - short par 4
#8 - short par 4
#10 - short par 4
#11 - short par 4
#12 - shortish par 4

Next!

7 - Tiny landing area, uphill approach
8 - Downhill all the way, huge bunker in front
10 - Driveable 75 degree dogleg left uphill all the way
11 - Wide open landing area, stream curls around green
12 - Dogleg right to severly sloping green

Mike, I dare say we need to send you to diversity training or perhaps even some adult ed at "Diversity University" !
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 09:05:10 AM by Michael Moore »
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Steve Lapper

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 09:13:22 AM »
I'd add a few courses:

USA

Quaker Ridge
Fenway
Myopia Hunt Club
Pine Valley
Sand Hills (BTW....neither BN, nor DR could claim this)
Fishers Island
Crystal Downs
Yale
Cypress Point
Prairie Dunes
Kapalua Plantation

International

Kingston Heath
Commonwealth
Ballybunion
The European Club
Cruden Bay
Royal Aberdeen
Turnberry
Royal St. Georges
Sunningdale Old
Walton Heath
Royal Lytham

All the above, IMHO have marvelous examples and representationf of long, short, strategic, and muscular fours.

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 09:50:28 AM »
Yale probably has the greatest variety that I have seen.

JESII

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 09:56:34 AM »
Mike Sweeney,

Are there any similarities among those holes you listed? I cannot really see any overlap at all other than 7, 8 and 11 really do not offer a driver option to longer players (although I did see a driver or two during the Amateur on #7) I would put #12 in the mid-length category along with 14, 15 and 16. Pretty strong company there, with very little overlap in shots there as well. And finally #'s 5, 6 and 18 are a pretty good representation of the long difficult par 4 wouldn't you say. All three segments ask for shots to work both ways off the tee and offer different green site demands. I would not say it's the most varied set, but I have not seen more variety within one course.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 10:25:06 AM »
Varied is too vauge.

Varied in what way?

Looks off the tee,? Strategy off the tee?  On/around the greens? Playability? Shot demands? Conditions? Wind? Contours? Trees? :P

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

JESII

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2006, 10:49:14 AM »
Varied is too vauge.

Varied in what way?

Looks off the tee,? Strategy off the tee?  On/around the greens? Playability? Shot demands? Conditions? Wind? Contours? Trees? :P

Maybe John Conley should answer as to his intent for the thread in general, but for my post I'll take a stab.

Merion's three par 4 segments (short, medium and long) cover the full gamut of yardage demands for two shot holes. Potentially drivable - Drive and pitch - position club and pitch - Driver or position club and short iron - Driver and short to middle iron - Driver and middle to long iron - Driver and long iron or wood. [/i]

Players are also faced with shape demands within each segment. #7 asks for a draw with a 220 club while #8 asks for a fade. People generally think of these two holes as similar due to their proximity in the round as well as in yardage. A couple small differences, other than tee shot shape; 220 or so is about ideal on both but missing short of that is better on 7 and past that is better on 8 (distance control is rewarded), #7 green is above the fairway and has a very long fairly narrow green which offers a significant distance perception challenge while #8 green sits a bit below the fairway but has such a small green that the challenge is much more weighted on the physical (can you hit the shot?) demands. The greens themselves could hardly be more different with #7 being bout 45 yards long with infinite micro-contours that make any 30 foot putt a challenge while #8 is about 20% of the total sq ft and is laid out with a steep slope from back to front and only room for one small "hump" like feature in its center.

I am sure there is more, and I wish I could go through the whole course like that, but that is my idea of VARIED.

John Kirk

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2006, 11:13:53 AM »
Pasatiempo has a nice varied set.

Steve Lapper and I have discussed this before, and will simply have to agree we disagree about Ballyneal.  I admit I was a little irritated when my beloved BN was mentioned specifically as not qualifying.  Steve asserts that our short par 4s turn right to left and favor a draw.  Holes 1, 7, 12, and 14 turn right to left and have bunkers guarding the left side.  9 is straight.  On any given day, one or two of these holes might be driveable for the power player.  After thinking about this for a while, I believe 1 and 12 favor a fade, while 7 and 14 favor a draw, with 9 being neutral.  You can't easily draw the ball into 1; the green slopes that way.  On 12, the green opens up from the left better.

Also, these holes, at 330-380 yards, are only driveable for maybe 5% of the golfers that play there.  I never try to drive them.  So while Steve's observation is a smart one, and well worth considering, I believe the holes actually play more neutral than they look.  Thanks for pulling my chain a bit.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2006, 11:13:55 AM »
Sully, Thanx for that description of Merion. You are correct JC's title doesn't even include the place he cites. Yet everyone chimes in with their favorites. Some even more.
Re; Merion 7 & 8; Most uphill holes are missed short, and downhill ones long. Aren't they?

And, when is Variety for variety's sake, over-done or poorly used?

The most varied course I have ever played is Jasper Park. Everything was different. From the teeing grounds to the look and feel of every hole.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John_Conley

Pasatiempo
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2006, 11:14:08 AM »

Not just cause Tony Bennett is on Imus...but you must have loved San Francisco GC...Glad you didn't have to wait till Monday.

I've not seen San Francisco.  There isn't going to be a conclusive answer here, but I played Pasatiempo on Saturday and was impressed by the variety of two-shotters.  I keep a checklist to look back on after rounds and that course breaks down like this.

Effective length:
0 Drivable
2 Short
2 Medium
2 Average
3 Long
1 Mega
(From a new tee across the road it actually would open with two Megas, but that tee is a little forced and probably not used much.)

Bend:
4 Straight
1+ slight to the right
3 slight to the left
2 hard left

This is the only category that isn't balanced.  #9, a par 5 compensates by going right after the teeshot.

Effective Green Size:
2 Large
2 Small
7 Medium

Terrain:
3 play Uphill
2 are pretty Flat
3 play Uphill
1 slightly Uphill
1 us Uphill & Downhill
(A lot of room for interpretation here, but I found all sorts of looks off the tee.)

Appearance:
Many holes you can't see the green from the tee and just as many are WYSIWYG.

There are forced carries over some barrancas, holes you could run it to the green, wonderful bunkering, and exciting green complexes.

Without breaking from the character of the course, I feel Pasatiempo has wonderful variety is almost every aspect.  Absent are water hazards of any significance, but that's about all that is missing.

John_Conley

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2006, 11:14:59 AM »
Pasatiempo has a nice varied set.

Did you know that's where I played?!

Adam Clayman

Re:Pasatiempo
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2006, 11:19:56 AM »
Absent are water hazards of any significance, but that's about all that is missing.

Could only a Floridian feel this way?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2006, 11:21:24 AM »
JC:

Absent water hazards?  What do you call the barrancas in front of 10 tee, left of 11 fairway and in front of 11 green, left of 12 fairway, left of 13, left of 14, left of 16???

I know, you likely mean hazards with visible water.  But those are marked red or yellow as appropriate, as water does run at the bottom of each.

;)

Pasa has variety with a capital V, that's for sure.  One hell of a course, no?

TH
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 11:22:54 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Mike Benham

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2006, 11:25:40 AM »

Effective length:

3 Long
1 Mega
(From a new tee across the road it actually would open with two Megas, but that tee is a little forced and probably not used much.)

I assume you mean the first two holes although they both are downhill which dilutes the distance to a degree.

Which holes are you defining as the Mega's and Long's?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

JESII

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2006, 11:27:33 AM »

Re; Merion 7 & 8; Most uphill holes are missed short, and downhill ones long. Aren't they?
Are you suggesting people do not recognize the change in elevation? Or are you suggesting they are too stupid to do anything about it?  ;D Don't answer those questions. ;)

And, when is Variety for variety's sake, over-done or poorly used?
When quality suffers.

The most varied course I have ever played is Jasper Park. Everything was different. From the teeing grounds to the look and feel of every hole.
Never been to Jasper Park, but I think varied teeing grounds would probably bother me. Not sure why, but it's the only facet of a golf course I feel should be consistent....other than green speeds, but I could be swayed on that one.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2006, 11:40:58 AM »
Absent are water hazards of any significance, but that's about all that is missing.

Could only a Floridian feel this way?

A Floridian transplanted from Minnesota!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back