News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Mike Benham

GPA - Golf Pub Architecture
« on: October 06, 2006, 01:28:46 PM »
It's a Friday, most of us are scouring the Las Vegas info sheets to determine if Stanford is worthy of the +29 points vs Stanford of the Midwest, but as an offshoot of the Golf Clubhouse threads that ran a week or so ago, here is a new one (and I don't have many to add so please post your own photos ...).

Golf Pub Architecture ...

(and this pub doesn't serve Belhaven Best or Shiner Bock)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 01:29:46 PM by Mike Benham »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Bob_Huntley

Re:GPA - Golf Pub Architecture
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 01:47:20 PM »
Mike,

That has to be by far the worst "Bar" I have ever seen.

There is no roll to the front of it and any beer that is spilled will drop immediately into your lap. The roll allows the liquid to course away from you.

There seems to be no flash tray on the barmaids side either, which makes for an even messier service area.

As for the formica top, all I can say is that it is just too ghastly for words.

This gets a minus 1 on the Huntley scale.

Bob

Mike Benham

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 02:14:12 PM »
Mike,

That has to be by far the worst "Bar" I have ever seen.

Have you played this bar?  Judging a bar by a photo is often very dangerous[/i]

There is no roll to the front of it and any beer that is spilled will drop immediately into your lap. The roll allows the liquid to course away from you.

Again, the photo doesn't show the slope of the bartop, which goes away from the patrons, again, be careful judging from a photo alone[/i]

There seems to be no flash tray on the barmaids side either, which makes for an even messier service area.  

The flash tray is nicely hidden on the left side by the architect, hanging under the numerous taps and 4-hand pumped draft taps for the specialty beers the establishment offers[/i]

As for the formica top, all I can say is that it is just too ghastly for words.

As a concession to the owners demands, the architect designed an all-weather top that would handle the high traffic areas that normally punish other materials allowing this top to be quickly playable again after harsh conditions[/i]

This gets a minus 1 on the Huntley scale.

I look forward to additional information concerning the Huntley scale, specifically a list of approved establishments and rating criteria.  Do you need an assistant in your continued research?[/i]

Bob

« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 02:31:34 PM by Mike Benham »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 02:24:43 PM »
Mike,

I love it. With the questions and blue printing I thought I was hearing from dear old Pat.

Bob

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 02:58:38 PM »
I see an image of the Virgin Mary in between the curtains of the doorway..I was initially going to comment on the statue..and then it is not there.  It is an image of Our Lady of Guadalupe..see link:  http://www.sancta.org/intro.html
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 03:04:36 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 03:15:02 PM »
I remember reading something Henry Longhurst wrote about the best golf club bar he had been in being one in Las Vegas (Thunderbird?) where the bartenders worked in a sunken "well" that put them below eye level, allowing for those sitting at the bar to have an unobstructed view out the windows to the course and mountains beyond. I have never seen such a setup.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 03:22:30 PM »
I remember reading something Henry Longhurst wrote about the best golf club bar he had been in being one in Las Vegas (Thunderbird?) where the bartenders worked in a sunken "well" that put them below eye level, allowing for those sitting at the bar to have an unobstructed view out the windows to the course and mountains beyond. I have never seen such a setup.

The unobstructed view would be of the IBG. (inverted bar grade?)

DeVries, this one is for you! ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

jg7236

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 03:27:00 PM »
I have seen better bars a my friend's homes than this one.  The Scenery isn't too hot either.  Is that bar in a Sun City development?

Mike are you here in town?

Mike Hendren

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 03:50:40 PM »

I believe the newly renovated bar in the dining room at Desert Forest has a similar feature.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 04:05:01 PM »
Only a half hour to closing and the two patrons have only one drink lined up in front of them[/color]; what area of Utah was this photo taken in?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 04:09:10 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Jim Thompson

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 04:21:43 PM »
Joe,

You are back!

JT
Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 04:22:49 PM »
Mike,

Take the points.  Look for a replay of Charlie on Mike & Mike this morning and you'll know why.

JT
Jim Thompson

Bill Gayne

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 06:24:28 PM »
For a lounge or bar area of a clubhouse, I prefer it with out stools. I find tables to be shared much more inviting and friendly. Have a bar and a bartender but have people walk to the bar or provide some type of bar service.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 09:55:14 PM »
Mike you seem to be a fixture not just on the course but at the bar at DF. Hmm has our hillbilly moved to Carefree?

Buck Wolter

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006, 12:26:18 AM »
The corridors are too narrow -- a good bar should be 3 feet wide to give plenty of options; beers and shots.

Has this bar been remodeled? it looks to be a mix of arts and crafts (Tiffany Lamps) and the RTJ era with the ceiling fan and formica. I suggest a thoughtful restoration. Does the pub have any aerials?
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back