News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

Asheville area golf courses
« on: October 05, 2006, 04:59:07 PM »
I'll be passing through Asheville later this month and have only seen the Grove Park Inn's course.

What else is 'must see' in that area?

Thanks

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

michael j fay

Re:Asheville area golf courses
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 05:06:25 PM »
Paul:

The Ross courses Biltmore Forest and CC of Asheville are both pretty good. The Asheville Muni, by far the most original Ross in the area, is inexpensive but shaky in the conditions.

Mimosa Hills in Morganton (50 miles east of Asheville) is a must do.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 05:08:22 PM »
Paul, From what I understand Asheville is home to no-less than two other Ross'. Buntecombe would be my suggestion since the old Patriarch from Pacific Grove plays there. Kennaday, Jim tells me the two nines are on differnt types of terrain. From what I have seen in Pictures, bring your chainsaw and Ron Prichard's business card. If i'm not mistaken, Buntecombe was known as "The Muni". I sure hope someone would correct me if thats wrong.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Lawrence Largent

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 06:35:49 PM »
Muni is quite good, but Biltmore is something you will remember. I agree with Mr. Fay, Mimosa Hills is a true hidden gem. Let me know when you're in the area I'm about 50 minutes away.

Lawrence

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 07:39:43 PM »
Grandfather Mountain and Diamond Creek should be seen.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 07:41:14 PM »
Paul, the weather in Asheville in late October can be like Chicago.  In fact I think some of the mt. courses close the end of the month.  If you are going toward Atlanta you might want to swing down toward Greenville and play Musgrove Mill.  I think you would love it.  i'd be happy to set you up there.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Paul Richards

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 03:59:12 PM »
Any thoughts on what's between Musgrove Mill and Asheville?

thanks
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 04:11:09 PM »
Any thoughts on what's between Musgrove Mill and Asheville?

thanks

Greenville CC (Chanticleer), and 3 of the 4 (of future 7) of the Cliffs courses.  Could also stop in and say hello to Fazio at his home course, Champion Hills.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 04:17:23 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

Doug Ralston

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 04:16:26 PM »
Heard good things about the Mount Mitchell course. Looks beautiful. Enjoy.

Doug

james soper

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 04:44:08 PM »
biltmore forest is a must if access is not an issue. hendersonville is about 30 miles away and has the hendersonville country club (1927 Ross redone in 1990 by fazio) and champion hills (fazio home course for quite some time until he relocated to cashiers to work on a new project). both are fun to play but are private. champion hills has some great vistas and only one or two questionable holes. can be a little soggy though.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 05:07:04 PM »
Wade Hampton is about an hour away, but I think it closes soon too. I am off to play there Tuesday.
Mr Hurricane

bill_k

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 11:40:04 AM »
Paul,
I can assure you that Asheville's weather in Oct-Nov is quite a bit better than Chicago's. You can expect many 70 degree days well into Nov. and occasionally even Dec.
Asheville is home to four Ross courses-Muni, Grove Park, CC of Asheville, and Biltmore Forest-with Biltmore being the standout (its a pretty stout test as well, with only one par 5) CC of Asheville is solid if unspectacular.
The front nine of the muni is flat with several green complexes that were probably really scary when built. The green of the par 5 2nd must have been breathtaking. The blind tee shot ninth might be the best medium length par 4 in WNC. The back nine occupies much hillier ground and possesses the skeletons of several outstanding holes-and finishes with a 210 yard par 3. Fixed up, the Muni would be the equal of anything in the mountains.
The Grove Park in was renovated by Kris Spence and is well-kept and has some fun holes...but nothing earth shaking...certainly not worth 125 bucks or whatever it is they are getting these days.
Waynesville CC (30 min west) has nine Ross holes in varying stages of neglect and decay. The present 4th green must have really been something special...its a total factory and not worth the drive.
Hendersonville CC is 30 min east and has one of the sportiest courses in the Southeast. Pretty violent terrain reminiscent of Camargo in places. Perfect use of the land and the short 8th (I think it is the 8th) is one of the best really short par 4's in America, for my money. I'll try to post some photos of it someday.
If you can get to Wade Hampton in an hour from Asheville...it will only be by helicopter...same for Grandfather and Diamond Creek. There is no easy way to get anywhere in the higher elevations from Asheville. If you can get on WH-you should really try to play Highlands CC, which is only 15-20 minutes away and the two of those would make one hell of a 36 hole day trip-have dinner at the Lakeside Rest. in Highlands afterwards.
I understand the Cliffs at Walnut Cove in S. Asheville is well above average but I have yet to see it.
Laurel Ridge (Cupp) in Waynesville (30 min) is THE prototypical mountain course and has some really ridiculous holes but several outstanding ones as well (including some magnificent vistas) worth a drive over if you do not have anything lined up for the day.

Hope it helps...

Jim Franklin

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 12:01:43 PM »
Bill -

How far is Wade Hampton from Asheville? I don't want to be late for my tee time and the folks at Wade Hampton said between 1-1 1/2 hours. Thanks.
Mr Hurricane

bill_k

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 12:17:56 PM »
Jim,

The easiest way to get to Cashiers from Asheville is to take I-40 west to 74 to 23 to us 107 (just mapquest it-but make sure you take the route that takes you past Western Carolina Univ). It is approx. 75-80 miles but will take you at least 90 minutes. The biggest issue is that the last 20-25 miles of US 107 is only two lanes-and if you get behind a dump truck going up the mountain it might take 45 minutes to go 20 miles.
If your tee time is 1000 I would leave Asheville no later than 745.
Play well...

Adam_Messix

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 02:08:37 PM »
There have been other threads concerning Asheville area golf courses, so I will try not rehash.  All of the Ross courses in the Asheville/Hendersonville area are nice with Biltmore Forest being the best and most difficult to gain access.  

Two new entries to the fray this year are the new Mountaintop course just north of Cashiers, a Tom Fazio design with excellent greens and Bright's Creek, another Tom Fazio course that is located about 20 minutes below Hendersonville.  Bright's Creek may be accessible, Mountaintop will require a member to be in the group.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back