News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Mandel

World Woods PB/Tampa
« on: October 05, 2006, 01:50:15 PM »
It looks like I am making an unexpected trip down to Tampa in a few weeks for the Eagles/Bucs game.  I'm looking to play golf on Monday and was wondering if it was worth the drive from Tampa to go play WWPB.  Judging from what I've heard it sounds as if it is.  Even better, I checked the webiste and it looks like PB is $40 on Monday October 24th!  

I'm playing with my dad, but we may have an opening for 1 or possibly 2 others.  Are any Floridians interested?  Is there anywhere we should consider playing closer to Tampa, or am I correct in thinking $40 for Pine Barrens is too good of a deal to pass up?

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

John_Conley

Re:World Woods PB/Tampa
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 01:52:21 PM »
Absolutely worth it.  I love the place.  The toll road makes it easy to get to.

I can't play on Monday or on the 24th.  I'm in Naples those two days for work but would have loved to make it over.

Enjoy!!

If time permits, pull into the neighboring Dunes to get a scorecard.  Another excellent course.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 01:58:21 PM »
Cetainly worth the $40 and if adventurous you may want to play both courses for slightly more.

Only other comparable option would be Copperhead at Innisbrook Resort or if you have a connection ot play Old Memorial. Of the three PB is the superior golf course.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 01:59:52 PM by Greg Tallman »

Mike Hoak

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 02:00:11 PM »
World Woods is the cream of the crop in Tampa.  It's worth the drive.  It will take you about 50 minutes to an hour from downtown Tampa.  If you have the time, you might want to look at playing PB and Rolling Oaks.  The price to play both in the same day is absurdly cheap.  I think it's around $70 during the week.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 02:26:22 PM »
Unless you make arrangments at Black Diamond, World Woods is definitely the ticket! Play both courses if possible. Not only is playing 36 holes a great deal you cannot go wrong with either course. What the heck you may as well play the 3 practice holes before you rounds and the short course after your rounds. I have been there before!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 02:26:41 PM by Rob_Waldron »

Jason Mandel

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 02:34:53 PM »
Thanks guys for all the info so far!

Rob,
They have a short course as well?  I doubt my dad will want to play 36 but I may be able to get him to play the short course.  What is that like?  

I was pretty shell shocked in a positive way to see that the rate was 40 including cart.

I think I'm going to book that time this afternoon.  Will make a great weekend after the Eagles mop up on the Bucs.

Am I also correct in needing to try Bern's?

Thanks for everyones help.

Jason

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 03:04:24 PM »
Bern's is a cool place, gotta go there at least once, and see the upstairs as well, it a one of a kind in America.

If I remeember correctly, it is pricey
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

james soper

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 03:41:19 PM »
bern's is a must. make sure you make reservations well in advance and please ask your waiter for a tour of the kitchen and wine cellar which are both very impressive. tours are done nightly and are very cool. they also have one of the largest wine lists around, about the size of a phone book.finally, do not miss the dessert room (homemade hot fudge sundae on fresh macadamia nut ice cream).

Mike Hoak

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 04:24:32 PM »
I have to concur with everyone's Bern's recommendation.  Be sure to make reservations in advance.  The restaurant is deceptively huge, but it fills up quick.  The decor is a love it/hate it sort of thing (it reminds me of how one would envision a French bordello), but the steaks are excellent.  The wait staff is also the best I have encountered at any restaurant in the country.  The wine list and desert room are deservedly legendary.

George Pazin

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 04:35:41 PM »
Others will no doubt disagree, but I'd sooner play Pine Barrens twice then play both it and Rolling Oaks.

Heck, I'd sooner play it once and have an afternoon off to explore Tampa. :) Just kidding on that one, but I do think RO is about as generic a modern parkland course as you'll ever see.

Berns didn't do much for me at the time, but I've become more of a steak lover since I started my grilling obsession a couple summers ago, so maybe I'd enjoy it more now.

I probably should add that all of this WW golf and high class restauranting was during a bachelor party golf trip a good while ago, and I was more distracted by some of the mounding and the like at other Tampa attractions.

:)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 04:35:57 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike Benham

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 04:40:04 PM »
And bring your own clubs - the rentals (at least when I went a few years back) were 10 year old game improvement clubs and metal woods the size of an old persimmon driver.  

But of course, if you had some old balata balls you could play the course without modern equipment ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 04:43:58 PM »
If you plan to spend some time on the range warming up you'll like the driving range at WW.

Arrive early and check it out, if you can.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 04:56:13 PM »
What you will save at WW you will spend at Bern's, but it will be worth the trip.

Just make sure the Eagles win THIS weekend.
Mr Hurricane

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 05:29:59 PM »
Others will no doubt disagree, but I'd sooner play Pine Barrens twice then play both it and Rolling Oaks.

Heck, I'd sooner play it once and have an afternoon off to explore Tampa. :) Just kidding on that one, but I do think RO is about as generic a modern parkland course as you'll ever see.

Berns didn't do much for me at the time, but I've become more of a steak lover since I started my grilling obsession a couple summers ago, so maybe I'd enjoy it more now.

I probably should add that all of this WW golf and high class restauranting was during a bachelor party golf trip a good while ago, and I was more distracted by some of the mounding and the like at other Tampa attractions.

:)

George,

I'd agree with you on almost all counts re: the golf.   The Rolling Oaks course is OK, but golf lite compared to PB.

Also, in looking at some of the other Tampa attractions, are you sure you weren't looking to an NFL career at the time?   ;)That seems to be de riguer nightlife among NFL footballers visiting Tampa.  

Adam Clayman

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 05:42:14 PM »
It's the greens on the PB course that set it apart. Plus, that Pine Valley feel. Recent tree clearings have helped alot. But the key was firing the maintenance management company and hiring an individual who obviously loves his job.

Redanman is correct, the only flaw in the ointment on the PB course is routing related.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John_Cullum

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 07:13:44 PM »
You can be assured of an empty wallet and a disappointed palate after dining at Berns, but what would I know?

But you'll enjoy Pine Barrens, but if you really want to see some interesting greens and a little strategy, play Rolling Oaks.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Jason Mandel

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 07:33:18 PM »
Thanks for everyones comments so far, it is much appreciated.

Sarge,
Any interest in joining us at Pine Barrens?

Jason

John_Cullum

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 07:53:34 PM »
Jason

If its an afternoon time, there's a good chance I can join you, and I would be delighted to. Thanks for asking.

Sarge

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2006, 07:51:44 AM »
Jason

I believe the the Short Course has something like 3 par 4's and 6 par 3's. It is generally not maintained at the same level as the two championship courses. I would recommend that you play all 36 holes and make your own decision about the quality. The Rolling Oaks may not rate as high as its sibling the Pine Barrens but what course would. RO has several outstanding holes and the 36 hole package price is a bargain.

Bern's is an institution that should not be missed. Make reservations since it will be packed particularly around a football weekend. After you are seated ask your server to make a reservation for desert/after dinner drinks upstairs. Again reservations are key.

While in Tampa do not miss one of the most reknown gentleman's clubs in Florida, Mons Venus. Alcohol is not served and clothing is not required of the dancers. Pull out a $hunge for one of the beauties and make your lap happy! Mons is located minutes from the stadium on Dale Mabry Drive. Have a good trip.

G O  E A G L E S!!!  

Jason Mandel

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2006, 10:00:51 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the tips!

Unfortunately the Rolling Oaks course is closed for overseeding, so it looks like it will only be the Pine Barrens course.

Perhaps if we have time we'll play the short course as well.  I thought about Black Diamond, but figured if I only have time for one  I might as well play PB now, especially since I have that whole day on Monday open.

It's shaping up to be a nice little trip, but like Jim said the eagles need to take care of business THIS sunday first!

Jason
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 10:01:20 AM by Jason Mandel »

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2006, 10:14:25 AM »
Jason - Make sure they are not doing any course maintenance.  WW is great!  Can be very punishing if you do not choose the appropriate tees for the skill level.  
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

John_Cullum

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2006, 11:37:59 AM »
I went to World Woods yesterday. Pine Barrens was closed for some reason. But Rolling Oaks was in great shape. I was surprised at how nice the greens were rolling this late in the season. Pace of play was unusually slow for a Monday afternoon.

By the way, the $40.00 included a sandwich and a world woods visor in your choice of color. What a value.

Jason Mandel

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2006, 11:51:24 AM »
Thanks John.  That really does sound like one heck of a deal for $40 bucks!

I sent you a PM saying that we are probably going to play sometime between 11-12.  I know you said afternoon was better but if you can make it let me know.  You can email me at jasonymandel@aol.com or send me a PM.

Anyone that that wants to join is welcome as well.

Jason

John_Cullum

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2006, 12:09:01 PM »
Its really too bad that bermuda grass is such a failure for a golf surface, and there is no good golf in Florida, because if we had that, World Woods would really be pretty special, and Matt Ward might come see us sometime.

Jason Mandel

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2006, 01:54:32 PM »
We have an opening for 1 on Monday at 11:19 on the Pine Barrens course, if anyone is interested email me or PM me.

Jason

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back