News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Jordan Wall

Is this a first? I need homework help!
« on: October 04, 2006, 12:00:21 AM »
Here goes what will likely be a first for GCA

So, in my History Class we have a project on the Revolution.
I get to write one of my articles on ANYTHING of my choice.
I am writing it on George Washington playing golf (the article is for fun).

If anybody has any old pictures of St. Andrew's, or early links courses in Europe, and would be willing to share them so I may use them on my project, that would be so great!
If anybody knows where to find some really old photo/paintings of classic links courses (St. Andrews would be a plus), and would be willing to share where to find some, that would also be very great!

My article will consist of George Washington going to Europe to find people to come to the States to vote for him for presidency.  His main way of getting people interested in moving to America will be through golf, which is why I could use some older looking photos of some European links courses.

Thanks!

Jeff_Brauer

Re:Is this a first? I need homework help!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 12:05:37 AM »
Jordan,

Glad to see you corrected that Seahawk record!

Why don't you just download the famous picture of Washington crossing the Delaware, and add the caption "Looks like a good place for a water par 3?"
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

John_Conley

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 12:20:44 AM »
The British are closer than they appear when you see the whites of their eyes because they are about a foot shorter.

Seriously, sounds like a fun project.  Enjoy HS.

bakerg

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 12:32:18 AM »
Jordan,

There is a link somewhere on this board about the USGA archives now being online.  I think if you go to the USGA site you will be amazed at what you can pull from some of the old articles.  I am pretty sure they don't go back to Washington's time but the old golf course pictures should be there.

Good luck.

G.

SPDB

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 07:31:00 AM »
Jordan -

Is this course cross-listed with Creative Writing? ;D

PThomas

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 07:33:10 AM »
Jordan,

Glad to see you corrected that Seahawk record!

Why don't you just download the famous picture of Washington crossing the Delaware, and add the caption "Looks like a good place for a water par 3?"

Jeff - Jordan and this Chicagoan have already discusssed Sunday nite's game...but thank you for brining it up again ;)!

and your idea is a great one! :D
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Brad Klein

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 12:19:40 PM »
I think your school should be de-certified. It certainly just fell out of the top-100 in Washington.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 12:20:07 PM by Brad Klein »

JR Potts

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 12:51:21 PM »
How does GW playing golf have anything to do with the Revolution?  Moreover, if GW was a golf fan, he made a terrible decision leaving England and its courses for the good ole' US of A and its marshy swamps and untamed forests.  If we were faced with the decision today, I would stay in England for the sole purpose of being able to play golf.  Screw religion and democracy.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 12:52:14 PM by Ryan Potts »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 12:52:52 PM »
Make sure that Washington uses his slaves as caddies..

Jordan Wall

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 01:31:28 PM »

My partner thinks I should do that (we have different articles, this one is mine).

I have a couple of pictures, but I think I am going to find one with sheep roaming on the course or something.

Today teacher asked me how they made the holes in the ground, so now they got there because they shot a musket into the ground, and that made the hole. There are 18 holes because there were only 18 musket shots available.  What a sweet story!!!

Anyways, if anybody has alink or pictures, that would be great!

Eric Franzen

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 01:37:56 PM »

This one is from 1858. Old enough for you?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 01:49:49 PM »
The old fairways look like modern outer roughs with the seed heads sticking up.......

Old theory as to why they didn't hit it as far in those days - inferior equipment.

New Theory - No roll.

PS- Some things never change - check the guys out ball hunting in the Swilcan Burn!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 01:51:16 PM by Jeff_Brauer »

Dan Kelly

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 01:50:54 PM »

My partner thinks I should do that (we have different articles, this one is mine).

What's your partner writing about?

Patrick Henry playing parcheesi? "Give me Parcheesi, or give me death!"
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jordan Wall

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 01:55:55 PM »

This one is from 1858. Old enough for you?

PERFECT!
 :)
Thanks

SPDB

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 02:03:09 PM »
Jordan,

Your "history" teacher should be suspended (w/out pay).

Jordan Wall

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 02:08:20 PM »
Jordan,

Your "history" teacher should be suspended (w/out pay).

Its the article of our choice for our newspaper.

I'll post a picture of the finishing product when we are done so you guys know I am doing OK and am not crazy by turning a National hero into a golf guy.

Dan,

Its a creative article.
Last year the funniest article was "G. WA is doing cocaine..."

So, this is a good article, believe it or not, a real one too

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 02:16:27 PM »
Jordan,

Wouldn't the musket ball fall out when you point it at the ground...There are 18 holes because by the time the slave went out to dig them at various paces from each other he ran out of water and had to head back...kinda like the Old Course was built..There are only 18 drinks in a sheeps gut you know..

PThomas

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2006, 02:16:53 PM »
be nice to George W Jordan...our first President who might very well still be the best one we've ever had!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

SPDB

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2006, 02:17:25 PM »

I'll post a picture of the finishing product when we are done so you guys know I am doing OK and am not crazy by turning a National hero into a golf guy.

better than turning him into a druggie. will you get credit for this?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 02:17:48 PM by SPDB »

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2006, 02:20:22 PM »
Jeff, They're not ball-hunting, they are peeing.  Remember, they hadn't built the public locker rooms in those days.  My wife was at school in St Andrews and they swam in the sea in a pool between the rocks below the castle.  This was a top, fee-paying public school, and the girls were swimming in seawage - excrement, santitary towels etc.  There was clearly a precedent for this in that photo.  

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2006, 02:29:44 PM »
Jeff, They're not ball-hunting, they are peeing.  Remember, they hadn't built the public locker rooms in those days.  My wife was at school in St Andrews and they swam in the sea in a pool between the rocks below the castle.  This was a top, fee-paying public school, and the girls were swimming in seawage - excrement, santitary towels etc.  There was clearly a precedent for this in that photo.  

So, the guy on the right is still dribbling, while the guy on the left is "shaking it off"?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2006, 02:34:39 PM »
The guy on the top of the bridge is just warming it up for a bit of attention from the two pretty boys on the right of the photograph.  It's not clear why those fellows are carrying bunches of sticks - fasces was, I think, the Roman equivalent - but it's presumably for some sort of flagellation, whether self-inflicted or administered by a third party.  

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2006, 02:35:39 PM »
That picture is so Lincolnesque in time and dress that it doesn't fit Jordan's story...Not that Lincoln ever peed in a ditch near where I very sit.  (He walked right past me on the way to Springfield.)

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2006, 02:38:16 PM »
Jordan, Make sure that you involve Arts and Crafts somewhere in the story - you'll then get 152 related articles from Messrs Paul and MacWood, all original work, for innumerable bonus marks.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2006, 03:57:44 PM »
Its a creative article.

I (not alone) figured that out!

I still want to know about your partner's article.

(Oh, and by the way -- because you're a student and are therefore, presumably, still teachable: That should have been "It's a creative article." It's -- with an apostrophe: short for "it is." The possessive "its" -- as in "History class can have its creative moments" -- has, ironically enough [in that apostrophes traditionally denote possession], no apostrophe. I know professional writers who cannot get this straight in their minds.)
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back