News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_Ryzewski

Fernandina Beach
« on: October 03, 2006, 05:26:22 PM »
I've seen threads mentioning this 27 hole layout before.

12 of us traveled to Amelia Island Plantation last February but avoided the public tract. Now I'm thinking we might want to add it to the mix.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Bill

Jay Flemma

Re:Fernandina Beach
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 05:34:58 PM »
I've had a lovely and inexpensive time every time I've stayed at AIP.  I played the "Ocean course."..it's sporty.  I go there more to unwind with my girl than just for the golf.  Sunrise watching from the patio of our room overlooking the 6th hole, all the spanish moss lined trees, the good food and seclusion.  Plus it's close to Sawgrass to really feed my golf fix...

What does everybody think of Long Point?

Its also fun to hang there for the big tennis tourney in April.  It's all in all a nice relaxing place.

JESII

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 05:47:25 PM »
I imagine the next 12 hours will reveal everything you need to know.

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 05:58:00 PM »
Fernandina Beach Municipal is the world's greatest hidden gem and its architect, Tommy Birdsong is the greatest architect who ever lived. At least he's the greatest Timucuan Indian architect who ever lived.

BCrosby

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 05:58:08 PM »
If we can get TEP out of his torpor and pay attention to this thread.  ;D

BCrosby

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 05:59:44 PM »
Ah, there you are.

Bill - I have learned the hard way. Never say anything remotely negative about Fernandina Beach. Never. Or you will pay.

Bill_Ryzewski

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 06:00:50 PM »
Jay,

You must have been in the same condo(s), overlooking the sixth. Very nice.

My problem is 4 courses over 5 days and Long Point access is limited (members love it!). Royal Amelia (huh?) probably fits the game of 12 Pennsylvanians in February the best, as the Ocean and Marsh present challenges for rusty golfers.

The expanse known as Long Point is typical, once you get yourself past "the moon" (#1) the character is "BIG". Stimp numbers posted everyday.

Bill

Bill_Ryzewski

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 06:04:24 PM »
Tommy,

I must have known subconsiously that you were the resident expert  ;)

I'll get pictures  ;D

Bill

Jay Flemma

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 07:48:09 PM »
Isn't that room great?  I went there new years one year with Nancy and we just had a ball.  What a nice place.  I still wish that the last at the ocean course wasn't a par-3 though...

John_Conley

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 09:08:09 PM »
I think it is enjoyable.  Skip the short nine and play the other two.  One is long and one is kind of tight and sometimes twisty.

For me it was more enjoyable than the Amelia Island club (not the Plantation but the one connected to a fancy hotel).  That course is pretty good but it is spendy and crowded with tourists.  

The municipal is enjoyable, inexpensive, and easily walkable.  There's a lot to like.  Is it great?  No.  But it is good.

Chris Neff

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 09:10:18 PM »
Hey Bill!
Royal Amelia is now part of the AIP roof! They just bought Royal Amelia less than a year ago.  A couple other golf courses to look at is North Hampton(Palmer), Amelia National(Fazio), and Summer Beach(McCumber). North Hampton and Amelia National are right of the I-95 exit not to far. Summer Beach is right next to the Ritz-Carlton.  All the golf courses including the city course are great and a can't miss. When you're visiting make sure you visit the Falcon's Nest in AIP.

Chris Neff

John_Cullum

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 12:51:06 PM »

What does everybody think of Long Point?

Long Point does little for me. I agree with John Conley. The best 18 holes are the two longer nines of the 27 hole complex. I think they are called Oak something and Oyster something.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 06:39:29 PM »
I practically grew up in Fernandina Beach (before it was the much tonier "Amelia Island") and have played literally hundreds, maybe thousands, of rounds at the muni.  Most recently played it in July of this year.  The West and North sides are just fun, fun golf.  They've got a nice, natural feel, interesting movement and turns.  The West is long, the North short and South tight (very, very tight).  It's a great bargain and great fun.

The other courses on the island don't do a whole lot for me, particularly at the prices they charge.  Jump in the car and head to 1-95 and north an exit or two, though, and you can play Osprey Cove, a very nice Mark McCumber design in St. Mary's.  

And no one has taken me up on it yet, but I'm telling ya - if you're willing to drive one hour inland, to Waycross, Georgia, arrange a round at the wonderful Joe Lee hidden gem, Okefenokee GC.  You'll be glad you did.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back