News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul_Turner

Will the drought in Britain
« on: August 23, 2006, 10:22:01 AM »
persuade many clubs to buy fairway irrigation and down the slippery slope to over watering?
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

ForkaB

Re:Will the drought in Britain
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 10:26:47 AM »
Doubt it, at least up here in Scotland.

1.  Most if not all courses already have irrigation (thanks to the VAT windfall of 1996-7)
2.  All you need is one heavy rain (as we had on Friday) and Voila! everything is greening up again.

....and NO! we are not shipping our water down to England, for reasons which are best portrayed in the film "Chinatown." :)

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 10:34:21 AM »
..and NO! we are not shipping our water down to England, for reasons which are best portrayed in the film "Chinatown." :)
And don't forget that the water is one of the special ingredients required in the making of Whisky.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 10:39:58 AM »
We travelled through Kent on Eurostar on 11th Aug.  Kent brown, Belgium and Luxembourg surprisingly green.  We returned 19th Aug and Kent was already green.  it doen't take much to restore the grass.  What I think is likely, though will be some subsidence which may add an architectural novelty or two to a few courses.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 12:15:01 PM »
It would be fun to see what Hoylake is looking like a month or so on.....

ForkaB

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 12:42:56 PM »
It would be fun to see what Hoylake is looking like a month or so on.....

You are so right, philip!  If only we could find a way to get a game or two there, maybe in early October......... 8)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 12:58:53 PM »
I'm working on my Tiger-like 225 yard 4-iron stinger!  ;D

(That's Woods, not Bernhardt!  Although JB does have some great shots of his own.)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 01:00:06 PM by Bill_McBride »

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 01:50:59 PM »
Bill, Tiger, 4-iron, 225 yards?  Surely 325 yards.  Having read Noel Freeman's account of the big match at Sebonack maybe you should take some coaching from them....

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 02:56:05 PM »
Sorry, Mark, I meant to type "7-iron!"

If I read Noel's account correctly, it doesn't sound as though there was much golf of instructional merit played that day!  But it does sound fun.

Richard Phinney

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 07:46:00 AM »
I'd be interested to hear what they do at Dornoch, but even with the dry conditions it seems at Montrose that there is a conscious decision, influenced by advice by the R and A perhaps, NOT to use the expensive irrigation equipment they now have, at least on the fairways. To keep the true links feel presumably. I must say it has been great fun to the play the course in such fast conditions this summer despite the very brown look.

ForkaB

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 08:11:38 AM »
Richard

Dornoch has a state of the art irrigation system that they are going to completly replace this winter (thank you, visiitng golfers...)!  For you putatively visiting winter golfers, the course will be closed from 2-3 months starting in November.  Check the website if you have any such plans.

Using such systems in links conditions is an art, which the best green keepers will able to learn to do.

Cheers

Richard

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 10:47:06 AM »
Rich, you are shipping your water down to England.  I've just returned from shopping at Waitrose and there's plenty there.  But to ensure that your stocks were not severely depleted I bought Welsh water.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back