News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brock Peyer

Eerie, Pa in late October?
« on: July 17, 2006, 07:50:48 PM »
I may be attending a wedding in late October in Eerie, PA.  I have never been to PA and I don't know anything about the area.  Can you play golf in late October, I would think you can.  What's around there?  I will probably have time for only one round.  Thanks in advance for the info.

JohnV

Re:Eerie, Pa in late October?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 07:56:47 PM »
Yes, you can play in late October, but it might be a little wet and wild.

The top two courses in the area the Kahkwa Club and Lake View.  Both are very good courses if you can get on them.  Kahkwa is a Ross course that has great greens, although it is probably a little short for today's bigger hitters.  Lake View is a little more modern and has some very good holes.  It is in North East, PA which is actually in the eastern part of the north west of the state about 15 miles east of Erie.

On the public side, Downing hosted a US Amateur Public Links in the '60s or '70s.  I haven't seen it, but others have told me it is quite good.

Tom Zeni

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 10:26:57 PM »
There is always the possibility of still getting the warm air from Lake Erie in October. It's why they grow grapes in that area. You get the late lake effect warm air. Of course, that's dependent on several factors. The same ones that may include getting snow in late October in that area.

However, the way our temps are going, you could see a late fall instead of an early winter in Erie.

Mark Leo

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 02:16:45 AM »
Brock,
I grew up in Erie, on the fourth hole of Lawrence Park GC.
Erie in the fall can be absolutely delightful with the leaves changing, high school football in full swing, and the courses in great shape.  Kahkwa is probably the best course in town, hosting a number of USGA Championships in past.  They will usually reciprocate if that is an option.  LakeShore CC is close to Kahkwa and is quite good (no holes on the water however). I am partial to Lawrence Park which is on the eastern edge of town, right along the lake shore.  Although the lake does not come into play, the second tee is right on it, and it is visible from a number of holes on both nines, and can produce some incredible wind and playing conditions.  The course is not long, but is very sporty.  It was an Alfred Tull design tinkered with over the years by a number of people.  It went through some major design changes/ renovations about 15 years ago, and at the same time they reversed the nines to avoid the 18th being a par three.  You would really enjoy playing it.  Should reciprocate as well, but you should check with them for sure. Lakeview is just OK.  Not far from Lakeview in Clymer, NY is the Peak N'Peak resort which has two pretty decent public courses.  The Nationwide tour holds an event there. Downing is an interesting layout, but suffers from conditioning issues.  Most everything else is not worth it.

wsmorrison

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 08:40:41 AM »
Brock,

Erie is Eeire in October; it is the month of Halloween after all  ;)
October can be a great month for golf in Pennsylvania as Mark said.  You might need a little luck on your side, but the weather is often quite good which is why there are a lot of weddings in PA in October, mine too--18 years ago (seems like 80).  Have fun!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 08:42:03 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 06:06:21 AM »
  Just to the North of Erie in NY is a nice resort called Peak-n-Peak. They have 36 holes, upper and lower courses, and are a Nationwide Tour stop. It's a ski resort as well so if there is still color in the leaves it should be great views at that time of year as well.  Also in that area is an old Donald Ross course at Chautauqua Golf Club near the Chautauqua Lake. there is 36 holes there as well but make sure you play the older Ross course. Have fun.

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 10:53:36 AM »
You might need a little luck on your side, but the weather is often quite good which is why there are a lot of weddings in PA in October, mine too--18 years ago (seems like 80).

Count me in that club too... I had an October wedding in Scranton

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back