News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Tommy Williamsen

Better from 200 yards
« on: July 03, 2006, 05:08:27 PM »
Even as a 59 year old, I hit more greens from 185-210 yards than I ever have.  The hybrid has changed my game.  I carry a 16 degree Halo and 19 and 22 degree G5s.  For years I carried a 1 iron that I loved.  I can't get it up in the air like I used to.  In fact my first iron is a five iron.

At 200 yards I expect to hit it either on the green or on the fringe.  Technology isn't all bad.  
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom_Doak

Re:Better from 200 yards
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 05:12:57 PM »
Tommy:  I guess I'll have to make all those shots 230 yards now.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 05:27:51 PM »
I knew this was an ill-advised thread ;D
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 05:51:11 PM »
Tommy

I agree with you.  Over 5 years ago I replaced my 2 iron with a Snake Eyes Quick Strike 18* and the 2 iron was history forever.  Almost 2 years ago I picked up a 17* and 21* Sonartec MD and they are firmly in the bag. They are so versatile and make those long approach shots or layup tee shots really easy.

Tom Doak- Don't tell me that you are going to build 7300 yard golf courses because of Tommy Williamson?  ;)

John Kirk

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 08:44:15 PM »
Once again, this is where wind is a great equalizer.  I'd rather have a 3-iron than a 3-hybrid if the wind is blowing across or into me.   In this case, I want to hit the ball as low as possible, in order to keep it drifting in the wind.

Holes I'd rather have a 3-iron than a 3-hybrid in the bag include #17 at Pacific Dunes and #15 at Bandon Dunes.

Geoffrey, I'm quite amused by the name of your hybrid.  I wish I had a Snake Eyes Quick Strike when I needed it.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 11:12:50 PM »
John, you are quite right.  The wind does create some problems.  I had to learn to "saw off" my 16 and 19 degree hybrids.  It is possible to keep them under the wind.

In additionm I can hit them more easily than the 3 iron out  of the rough as well.
St. John of the Cross

James Bennett

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 11:29:38 PM »
tommy

please describe the 'saw off' shot, and how you do it.  I'd be interested in the technique.

Did you use such a shot on your recent trip to the UK?  Is it similar to a chasing long iron for firm and fast fairways, or is that shot too difficult to pull off with most hybrids?

And a technical question - which shaft do you use in these?  I haven't sorted this out yet.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 11:58:44 PM »
Once again, this is where wind is a great equalizer.  I'd rather have a 3-iron than a 3-hybrid if the wind is blowing across or into me.   In this case, I want to hit the ball as low as possible, in order to keep it drifting in the wind.

Holes I'd rather have a 3-iron than a 3-hybrid in the bag include #17 at Pacific Dunes and #15 at Bandon Dunes.

Geoffrey, I'm quite amused by the name of your hybrid.  I wish I had a Snake Eyes Quick Strike when I needed it.

John - You might like the SOnartec MD- It has a high center of gravity resulting in a flat trajectory compared with every other hybrid I've tried (only the snake eyes was close and it always had too much offset).  Taylormade, Kasco and Hogan hybrids always balooned the ball too much and were useless in the wind.  Sonartec MD =   :o  :o  :o

Tom Dunne

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 12:05:26 AM »
James Bennett,

Steel's always an option, but companies are also making graphite shafts designed specially for hybrids. They tend to be uniformly ugly (check out the color scheme of the UST I-Rod), but perform really well. Aldila's got a hybrid version of their green NV series out now, as well. I find graphite-shafted hybrids easier to swing, but that's just me....

James Bennett

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 12:38:34 AM »
Thanks Tom and Geoff

I expect a straighter-faced hybrid (perhaps 16 degree) with a high centre of gravity (a la Sonartec) and a green Aldila NV shaft (I'd use the pink version of the NV if I wore pink shirts 8)) will do the trick for those firm, windy courses.  And the higher launch for my three-iron replacement if and when it happens.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

ForkaB

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 12:48:16 AM »
I've always been more likely to hit a green from <200 yards than from >100 yards with my blades, but I'm just a freak of nature.

Tommy and others

Have your handicaps declined significantly with all this newfangled equipment and these newfound powers?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 09:25:48 AM »
James, the sawed off shot for me: choke up on the club, play it back in your stance a bit, hit it like a punch shot but use little lower body.  It will stay in the air but underneath the wind.  

I am not knowledgable about shafts.   I just keep hitting demos until I like one.  However, they are all stiff shafts.

Rich, my handicap has come down from a 7 to a 5.  
St. John of the Cross

John_Cullum

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 10:01:36 AM »
These clubs are not really new technology. They have been around for years. There was a design for Spalding Executives about 15 years ago that looked like almost all hybrids. Although the concept goes back much longer.

We are just seeing better quality now, and use by the best players.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back