News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Jerry Kluger

Ryan Moore: Our kind of player
« on: July 03, 2006, 11:13:49 AM »
I switched over to the guys during commercials for the ladies and they were commenting that Ryan Moore, who was arguably the best amateur since Bobby Jones, is a feel player who doesn't use a yardage book.  He finds the yardages from the sprinkler heads and gets a feel as to the pin placements and goes on feel from there.  I don't know if he's qualified but it sure seems like he could be a great player at the British.  Anyway, Faldo just couldn't believe it and couldn't imagine playing a course without knowing the exact yardage to the pin.  It seems that Faldo's attitude is typical of today's player and that is why many are not able to play different shots including the ground game.

David_Tepper

Re:Ryan Moore: Our kind of player
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 11:49:42 AM »
Jerry -

Arguing that Ryan Moore is "the best amateur since Bobby Jones" is a bit of a stretch. Better than Lawson Little (back-to-back US & British Amateurs)? Better than Nicklaus? Better than Verplank and Mickleson (who won US Am's and won on the PGA Tour amateurs)? Better than Tiger (winning 3 US Am's in a row after winning 3 Junior's in a row)?  

I think not.

DT

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 11:53:18 AM »
David: I only said arguably the best and I only meant for one season -not his entire amateur career.  

Ryan Crago

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 12:39:35 PM »
i quite like the way he plays too... however, on the yardage book note, i remember someone asking him about the strategy of individual holes and how he attacked them.  his response was something along the lines of (and i'm paraphrasing...) "strategy?  nah, i just pick the shortest line and hit it there".

Phil Benedict

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 01:08:47 PM »
Anyway, Faldo just couldn't believe it and couldn't imagine playing a course without knowing the exact yardage to the pin.  It seems that Faldo's attitude is typical of today's player and that is why many are not able to play different shots including the ground game.

Jerry,

Why is knowing the yardage incompatible with shot-making? I remember Faldo hitting a beautiful knockdown 5-iron in the '92 Open at Muirfield, bouncing it in to about 5 feet.  Made the putt and went on to win.  So what if he relied on a yardage book?  It was still great shot-making.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 01:17:29 PM »
There is no question that Faldo was a great shotmaker although it is fixed in my mind how robotic he was in his practice swings and preshot routine.  Anyway, it just seemed a little over the top to me the way he said that he just could not imagine playing without a yardage book.  Perharps his thoughts are driven by the way the PGA tour has been setting up courses with tight pins near slopes that he feels that the yardages are so important.  I just thought that Ryan's attitude was a bit refreshing.  

Travis Ripley

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 03:30:34 PM »
I sort of agree about Moore.  Heck, Azinger wants the players to be able to use GPS technology and lasers.  that makes Faldo look like a luddite.

I'd also add Charlie Coe as an amateur who's career was best since Jones/ "better" than Moore's, FWIW.  

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 04:39:50 PM »
I followed Ryan Moore every step of the way in his semi final match against Jeff Overton at WInged Foot in the US AM.

He is most impressive.  His temperament in particular was one which exuded confidence.  He never seemed to care what Jeff did and made me feel that he knew he could do whatever it took to win. Overton is a really impressive golfer as well but Ryan controlled his trajectory and shot shape so much better.  Overton had the stock shot he went to on about every occasion.  Ryan Moore could be the next (if that is appropriate or possible) Lee Trevino.

He does use yardage.  His caddie at the AM was his college roomate and he used the sprinklers and pin sheets to give EXACT yardages. They discussed the kind of shot to attempt and Ryan then executed to perfection.

On about hole 16 I commented to a nice grey haired fellow just how composed, mature and talented Moore seemed to be and the fellow thanked me and said he was Ryan's dad.  His dad is his only coach and I think he has what it takes to be a real elite player.  I predict majors pretty soon.

Mark Leo

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 05:25:05 PM »
Who couldn't make an argument that Ryan's amateur career was one of the best ever.  In the same year winning the US Am, US Publinx, NCAA, Western Amateur, plus others, has to be one of the greatest amateur achievements in history. Homemade swing, plays by feel, great attitude, fantastic young man, ... hope he keeps winning again and again!

Bill Gayne

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 07:33:16 PM »
One of my regular playing partners showed up on Saturday morning with a Skycaddie for the first time. It was annoying and the distances were often off. On a par three, we placed the Skycaddie on the ground at 141 from the hole and by the time we had finished hitting the distance became 137!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back