News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

wsmorrison

A bit OT: Food and Golf
« on: May 26, 2006, 02:57:15 PM »
Combining pleasures, like matching food with the right wine or other beverage, what are your favorite places to play golf followed by a delicious meal?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 02:59:10 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Tony_Chapman

Re:A bit OT: Food and Golf
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 03:01:06 PM »
Ben's Porch  :D

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 03:02:00 PM »
 Wayne,

Finally ! A topic where you have expertise ;D
AKA Mayday

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 03:04:31 PM »
That is funny, I just gave Fleisher a tip on that topic.  Wild Horse has two places for good food and bev afterwords.  The Depot in North Platte for great beef, and Bella Italia in Cozad for remarkably good Italian in the middle of the prairielands.

For the high end, you can't go wrong with the American Club experience at Kohler.  Sutton Bay and Sand Hills is notable good too, and of course the only realistic place to eat out in those remote locations, so it has to be good.

My own home course has a leased out f&b operation and is darn good here at Brown County muni with the Safari Restaurant.

I can just imagine how great many of the east coast old line clubs must be... 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 03:11:22 PM »
the Charthouse in Monterey after a round on the peninsula.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

wsmorrison

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 03:22:10 PM »
Mike,

I know for you it is golf at Rolling Green GC (which is outstanding) and a veggie wrap in the clubhouse  :P

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 03:22:49 PM »
I haven't done it, but what about a pairing together Indian Creek followed by Stone Crabs at Joe's on South Beach?  Just make sure you are "in season" for that combo!

For me, I'd take just about ANY decent golf course followed by a big 'ol slab of BBQ'd ribs...yummers.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 13.2. Have 26 & 23 year old girls and wife of 29 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

wsmorrison

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 03:24:53 PM »
For fine dining it would have to be Pine Valley or Merion and dinner at Vetri in Philadelphia.  Its the finest Italian food I've ever had in the States and only 10 tables.

For casual dining, I'll take Shinnecock Hills and the lobster roll at the stand on Rte 27.

Evan,

If I knew where to eat in that neck of the woods, Indian Creek and just about anywhere would be AWESOME!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 03:25:43 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 03:33:37 PM »
Pumpkin Ridge and Helvatia Tavern--The burger there is outstanding, especially after golf.

Rustic Canyon is now producing some of the best Tri-Tip and Andoulle sausage money can buy in the Ventura Area. Adam Clayman and John Kirk might be able to back this up.

And as a compulsive eater that is supposed to be in recovery, I should not be on this thread! (the very nature of the disease!) ::) 8) ;D ;)

David Kelly

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 03:38:45 PM »
Mayacama followed by dinner at The French Laundry

Pasatiempo follwed by dinner at Manresa.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 03:41:02 PM »
For fine dining it would have to be Pine Valley or Merion and dinner at Vetri in Philadelphia.  Its the finest Italian food I've ever had in the States and only 10 tables.

For casual dining, I'll take Shinnecock Hills and the lobster roll at the stand on Rte 27.

Evan,

If I knew where to eat in that neck of the woods, Indian Creek and just about anywhere would be AWESOME!

Good point!  Actually, to combine BOTH of my passions stated above, let's change my order to Indian Creek followed by ribs at Shorty's down in Kendall.  Don't forget the corn on the cob as an "appeitzer" as well!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 13.2. Have 26 & 23 year old girls and wife of 29 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 03:48:13 PM »
Reading this, I just realized I need to hang out more with David Kelly - especially if he picks up the tab.

;D

But for my reality, methinks Tony Chapman nailed it.

TH

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 03:49:07 PM »
Cruden Bay and the Smoked Haddock Bake on the Clubhouse Menu .

Gene Greco

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 04:14:12 PM »
NGLA - followed by lunch which STARTS with fresh, cracked lobster in that mouthwatering dipping sauce!

Sand Hills - followed by those dry aged 24oz Porterhouse steaks in the dining room.

Merion and Winged Foot - followed by dinner on their respective terraces.

Cypress Point - followed by dinner with Sir Bob ANYPLACE!

But the winner from all which has been listed I believe to be that of David Kelly - Mayacama followed by The French Laundry. Great golf along with many of the greatest hard to get US wines and THE greatest dinner in this hemisphere.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 04:16:20 PM »
Gene:

Of course French Laundry is the Cypress Point of restaurants... But they treated me like shit there and I still have to be against it.

SOOO... I want it on record that it's ghastly expensive, and it's at least an hour's drive from Mayacama.

So it counts, and most likely shall be the winner... but with all sorts of caveats and qualifiers.

;D ;D ;D

Give me Ben's Porch for fun and spirituality, and the dining room at Sand Hills for damn near as good food, damn near as good wine, all in a place completely lacking in what French Laundry specializes in:  pretense and self-importance.

TH
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 04:20:33 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Gene Greco

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2006, 04:22:36 PM »
Tom:

Then the place for you after your day at Mayacama would be La Toque. An almost virtual dead heat with FL in the cuisine dept. and a whole lot more accomodating.

A high end Huckster kind of place, if you will. :)

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 04:26:52 PM »
Tom:

Then the place for you after your day at Mayacama would be La Toque. An almost virtual dead heat with FL in the cuisine dept. and a whole lot more accomodating.

A high end Huckster kind of place, if you will. :)

Muchas gracias, mi amigo.  Funny thing is we will likely be going north in a few weeks, and my wife was looking for a nice restaurant that we haven't been to.  I now have my recommendation.

;D ;D

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2006, 04:31:54 PM »
Stonetree, followed by In-N-Out on the way home.

Tom Huckaby, stop laughing.   ;D

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2006, 04:34:31 PM »
The Huckaby Special:

Golf at Santa Teresa, followed by dinner at Aqui, his fave Mexican restaurant.   ;) ;D

Personally, golf w/any GCAer anywhere followed by dinner w/any GCAer anywhere is a recipe for a splendid day, no matter what.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 04:38:05 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2006, 04:34:42 PM »
Matt:

The funny thing is, that sounds like a damn
good golf day to me.  Hell Stonetree isn't
THAT bad... and In-N-Out works any time.

;D ;D

Steve Lapper

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2006, 04:35:00 PM »
NGLA - followed by lunch which STARTS with fresh, cracked lobster in that mouthwatering dipping sauce!

Sand Hills - followed by those dry aged 24oz Porterhouse steaks in the dining room.

Merion and Winged Foot - followed by dinner on their respective terraces.

Cypress Point - followed by dinner with Sir Bob ANYPLACE!

But the winner from all which has been listed I believe to be that of David Kelly - Mayacama followed by The French Laundry. Great golf along with many of the greatest hard to get US wines and THE greatest dinner in this hemisphere.

Gene,

I'd agree with near everything you said up there, but might substitute a round at Quaker Ridge, followed by dinner on their terrace (newly restored in fact). With no disrespect to Winged Foot, the food at QR is vastly superior and of course follows a long tradition of matching great food with  certain- culture clubs!! I think our esteemed scientific friend in Westchester might agree! ;D ;D

Another few to add to this thread would include a round and meal at Garden City Men's and a round at Bethpage Black followed by a hop over to Peter Lugars!!!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Ted Kramer

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2006, 04:35:23 PM »
The back deck/patio at Caledonia is a great location for a chicken/steak club sandwich.

-Ted

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2006, 04:36:37 PM »
The Huckaby Special:

Golf at Santa Teresa, followed by dinner at Aqui, his fave Mexican restaurant.   ;) ;D

Personally, golf w/any GCAer anywhere followed by dinner w/any GCAer anywhere is a recipe for a spendid day, no matter what.

;D ;D
Just to set the record straight though, I have nothing against Aqui... I just had to comment when Mike Golden gushed about it being the best Mexican food in all of California, or the Bay Area, or whatever.  It's fine, it's just not really Mexican food.

But of course Santa Teresa followed by MacDonalds is a great golf day.  It is after all home.

And you are oh so right re GCA meetings....

;D

Ted Kramer

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2006, 04:36:39 PM »
The bacon, egg, and cheese (2 eggs fried, salt, pepper, ketchup, and tabasco) at the deli across the street from Lido is a heck of a way to start your day!!!

-Ted

Gary Daughters

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2006, 04:41:11 PM »

This is such an easy call:

2-inch steak on my grill.  Black on the outside, red on the inside.

Multiple martinis.  Gin.  Of course.
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back