News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Dixie Cup III:  "The Mike Strantz Mini-Tour"

CLICK HERE FOR COMPLETE REGISTRATION UPDATE[/url]
The dates have been finalized for Dixie Cup III. The "official" games will be played Saturday, November 4 through Monday, November 6.

The schedule of events will be as follows:

Saturday, Nov 4:
Golf at Caledonia - Teetimes begin at 11:30AM (front & back)
Fish Fry at Caledonia - Festivities begin around 7:30PM

NEW!  "Architect's Corner" - Presentation by Tom Walker (GCA) and Ben Steen (Super) on the redesign and construction of The Founders Club at Pawley's Island (formerlly Sea Gull Golf Club).

Sunday, Nov 5:
Golf at True Blue - Teetimes begin at 11:30AM (front & back)

NEW!  After Sunday golf Dixie Cuppers are invited to tour The Founders Club at Pawley's Island construction. Architect and superintendent will be on hand to guide you around the site and answer any questions.

Monday, Nov 6:
Golf at Bulls Bay - Teetimes begin at 10:45AM

Due to limited daylight hours we are only scheduling 18 holes per day. However, if there is time for an extra nine holes the courses are agreeable... or, we can arrange some mini-matches (6 holes, etc.) for those who are interested. Hickory anyone?

For those requiring help with accommodations, we have secured 10 two-bedroom condos at True Blue for three nights (Fri, Sat, Sun). Each bedroom has two double beds and a private bath. Participants staying at True Blue may take a bedroom by themselves or share a with a roommate. The True Blue condos are within two minutes of Caledonia and True Blue, and less than an hour's drive to Bull's Bay.

Costs are as follows:

Three rounds of golf at True Blue, Caledonia, and Bulls Bay plus three nights shared accommodations and Saturday evening fish fry at Caledonia = $375

If you require single accommodations the cost will be $425.

Three rounds of golf only (no accommodations) = $324

If you want something less or something more you will need to contact me directly and we'll work it out. For those who might want to expand their trip and arrive early or stay over... we will arrange accommodations at the True Blue condos if you need them and/or help line up games at other area courses.

Sorry, there can be no comps.

A $50 deposit will secure your position. We are limited to a maximum of 28 participants at Bull's Bay and 40 participants at Caledonia & True Blue.

HOW TO REGISTER: Send an email to dixiecup3@charter.net
We will reply with complete details and post your registration on the following link: COMPLETE REGISTRATION UPDATE[/url].

QUESTIONS or MORE INFORMATION: Send an email to dixiecup3@charter.net
If the information requested has interest to everyone we will post the question and response in this thread.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 01:30:22 AM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jfaspen

Re:Dixie Cup III - Revised Dates & Details
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 10:57:46 PM »
Excellent..

Thanks for your hard work..  True Blue and Caledonia are some of the better gems of Myrtle Beach.  I'm looking forward to seeing Bulls Bay as well.

Jeff

Scott_Burroughs

Re:Dixie Cup III - Final Dates & Details
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 10:29:08 AM »
FYI, it appears as if Michael has updated the pricing (I think).  The lodging is a steal!

Thanks to Michael and his hard work.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 11:20:22 AM »
Great prices and schedule.

If my daughter goes to UGa next fall, I'll be there.  If my daughter goes to UNC, I'm out an additional $80,000 over the next 4 years and I will NOT be there!  Should know within the next month.  (Wait list at Carolina)
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

William King

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 01:12:38 PM »

If my daughter goes to UGa next fall, I'll be there.  If my daughter goes to UNC, I'm out an additional $80,000 over the next 4 years and I will NOT be there!  Should know within the next month.  (Wait list at Carolina)

Go Dawgs!   :o

Andy Doyle

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 02:35:21 PM »

As a Clemson grad, I'd have to say neither is an appealing choice.

Andy

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 06:27:13 PM »
A.G., will you also switch from T-bones to hot dogs?

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 08:18:14 AM »
A.G., will you also switch from T-bones to hot dogs?

Bill,
I would skip the hot dog step entirely, and head straight to pinto beans and vienna sausages, eaten cold out of the can.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 08:19:49 AM »

As a Clemson grad, I'd have to say neither is an appealing choice.

Andy

Andy,
That's BECAUSE you're a Clemson grad; they should have taught you better! ;D

Bill_McBride

Re:Dixie Cup III - Dates & Details
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 10:04:32 AM »
A.G., I remember that precisely.  My third kid eschewed UVA (we were living in Fairfax at the time) for Berkeley.  Somehow I survived.  Luckily we moved to Pensacola at about the same time, where the golfing is cheaper!

A.G._Crockett

Re:Dixie Cup III - Now Accepting Registrations!
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 08:56:41 PM »
By purest coincidence, my daughter got word this evening that she is in at UNC.  I'm very, very proud of her, and now have to figure out how to pay for it.

Michael, one way is that I'll be teaching summer school this July instead of making my annual trip to Myrtle, and another is that I won't be making any serious golf trips for awhile, including the Dixie Cup.  But it's worth it to me.

Andy Doyle

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 09:36:26 PM »
A.G.:

Despite my digs at UGA and UNC, congrats.  As much as I may hate to say this, UNC is a very fine school.  It's a beautiful campus - you can look forward to some great visits.

Andy

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 09:46:38 PM »
A.G.:

Despite my digs at UGA and UNC, congrats.  As much as I may hate to say this, UNC is a very fine school.  It's a beautiful campus - you can look forward to some great visits.

Andy

Andy,
I'm UNC '74, and both my family and my wife's live in Durham, so that's still home in a lot of ways.  I DO look forward to the visits!  Thanks for the kind words.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 10:41:19 PM »
So no discounts for legacies?  What kind of deal is that?!

Congratulations to your daughter, she is obviously a sharp cookie.  8)

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 05:33:41 AM »
Mike,

I am in, and will email you later.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 11:31:08 AM »
I might be in, I sent an e-mail with a question, first.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2006, 12:10:58 AM »
I will be happy to share with Dick Daley, as long as I don't forget the ear plugs.  ::) :P ;)

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 12:43:54 AM »
Why do I have to go to school when I can go on a mini Strantz tour?

Is it possible to play all of his courses on the east coast without driving all over the place doing loop de loops? I am contemplating a mega Strantz tour maybe in the next 2 years going down the coast and playing all of his courses. Are any of his east coast courses private?

Can someone recommend any other courses of architectural significance that are located near these clubs? I mine as well start planning now.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006, 01:13:46 AM »
Wild Bill, I'll bring along a brand spankin new pair of the high teck silicon kind. 8)  ZZZZZ

And, be glad my name isn't Peter Pittock. ;) :o

Mike, CIITM
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 01:20:20 AM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

peter_p

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2006, 01:40:36 AM »
Are you saying that a NRR 34 wouldn't help with me????
I'm crestfallen. Maybe since you got some high fangled stuff
we can room together and see if it works. :P

RJ_Daley

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2006, 01:59:22 AM »
Pete, I had to google that NRR34, as it sounded like some sort of white noise, jet engine gizmo.  

I only got old fangled stuff that seems to help deaden things.  It is about 15 years old and comes in an amber liquid form.  Perhaps we can put you on an IV drip of it overnight... ::) ;D

Bill_McBride

Re:Dixie Cup III - Open For Registrations!
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2006, 10:18:19 PM »
Michael, it's early!  Have all the SEC schedules been released?

Jay Flemma

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2006, 10:20:04 PM »
Mike, my schedule opened and I may come.  When do I have to get in my deposit?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2006, 10:27:11 PM »
Bill - I don't do SEC. ::) Anyway, you are already signed up.

Jay - I would like it when you sign up. I've taken the responsibility of paying for the courses and condos. They want a deposit, so I need one. It should be refundable up until about two weeks out.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

John_Conley

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2006, 01:01:25 AM »
What a great trip!  I played Caledonia last week and course conditions are absolutely perfect.

Tour de Strantz.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back