News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin Atkinson

The Golf Club at Devils Tower
« on: March 25, 2006, 12:36:58 AM »
Gentleman:

My name is Kevin Atkinson and am a golf course architect with Phelps Golf Course Design...soon to be Phelps-Atkinson Golf Course Design in Evergreen Colorado.  I get on this website quite often but rarely post.  

Considering the amount of critics that hang around on this website, I thought I would post a few photos of a 9-hole addition project that I am working on in the Black Hills of Wyoming...1 1/2 hours from Rapid City, SD.  I am open for comments/thoughts.

The course is not set to open until summer of 2006.  The minor renovation work we did on the front 9 is still growing in and is not ready for photos yet.  When they are ready I will post them.

Here we go...this is the first time I have posted pictures so it might not work:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 11:15:24 AM by Kevin Atkinson »

Kevin Atkinson

Re:The Golf Club at Devils Tower
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 12:49:43 AM »
Gentleman:

My name is Kevin Atkinson and am a golf course architect with Phelps Golf Course Design...soon to be Phelps-Atkinson Golf Course Design in Evergreen Colorado.  I get on this website quite often but rarely post.  

Considering the amount of critics that hang around on this website, I thought I would post a few photos of a 9-hole addition project that I am working on in the Black Hills of Wyoming...1 1/2 hours from Rapid City, SD.  I am open for comments/thoughts.

The course is not set to open until summer of 2006.  The minor renovation work we did on the front 9 is still growing in and is not ready for photos yet.  When they are ready I will post them.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 11:14:34 AM by Kevin Atkinson »

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 12:52:52 AM »
Kevin,
   Welcome to the site. I can't make the pictures any bigger. Of course, I am quite computer illiterate so it is certainly possible that it can be done.
    I look forward to you participation here. It is always educational to me when you guys share what you are doing and the treehouse dissects everything. I hope our feedback here helps you as well.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

ed_getka

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 12:53:22 AM »
Hey, you're fast. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 12:56:01 AM »
Kevin,

Welcome to GCA.com.

Posting the full-size versions helps better!   ;)

Perhaps I could help:

#11:

#11:

#12:

#16:

#18:

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 12:56:55 AM »
Cross-post.  Well done!

ed_getka

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 01:02:06 AM »
Kevin,
   I really like the look of #14 and how the bold drive clearly gains a better line for the approach.
   Any pictures of any greens to share? I definitely like the strategy you seem to have built into some of the holes.
    On the downside, that is a VERY unfortunate choice of sand color. It is most glaring on #12 when you see the juxtaposition with the natural rock formations.
     Nice job on the bunkering. I like the look of it and how it lays nicely into the land. Except that blinding whiteness of course. ;)
      From what I've seen so far I would certainly be inclined to seek the course out if I was in the area.
      Thanks again for posting, this is so much better than reading some overhyped testimonial in a golf magazine.
     I would be interested to hear what your design thoughts were for challenging all ranges of golfer. What were the goals laid out by your client?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 01:08:47 AM by ed_getka »

Kevin Atkinson

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 01:06:35 AM »
Ed

I agree that the color of the sand is way to bright.  It is funny how  bright it looks in these photos.  It seems as though they were photo manipulated by the photographer because the sand doesn't appear that bright in person.  The sand was somewhat of a given too.  It was a local sand and quite a bit more affordable than the other choices.  We are encouraging the super and Owner to let the sand get slightly contaminated to allow for a more natural look.  It should get better.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 01:10:51 AM »
Kevin,

Great pictures.

Please continue to post here as your pictures are awesome and we would love to hear from you!!

Thanks Kevin!

Jordan

ed_getka

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 01:30:29 AM »

I agree that the color of the sand is way to bright.   We are encouraging the super and Owner to let the sand get slightly contaminated to allow for a more natural look.  It should get better.

I'm glad to hear of your recommendation. Which hole(s) do you think came out best, given what you were trying to do? Any that didn't come out quite as expected? Please don't give us all the holes are like my children speech. ;D

Kevin Atkinson

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 01:53:46 AM »
Ed

a couple of quick comments about the back 9 holes.  It is hard to discuss the palyability just yet since I have not played the holes or putted the greens:

#10 - Good golf hole that gets narrower and narrower the farther you hit your tee shot.  The green setting is outstanding sitting at the base of a 40 foot high rim rock ridge on the left side....overall I am satisfied with the hole but would have liked it if I could have lowered the green an additional 5 feet.  The problem is that it would not have related to the rim rock as well.

#11 - a complete natural hole...one of my favorites.  We did almost nothing to the hole, except the bunkering and removal of a few trees.

#12 - far and away the most stunning par 3 on the course.  the view off to the right is a drop straight down well over 100 feet to smaller river.  From this tee is a great view of Devils Tower too.

#13 - I will be completely satisfied it I can get the Owner to remove 5-10 more trees between the 1st landing area and the green.  If that is done, this could be the most stunning option on the course allowing golfers to go for the par 5 green in two if you can play over a canyon of rim rock to a narrow green on the edge.  The view from the green is incredible looking over a huge valley of rock, trees and a meadow.  The tee shot never did quite get as dramatic as I wanted.

#14 - Good hole with an interesting risk reward tee shot.  I am most proud of this hole because it turned out looking so natural, even though we moved more dirt on this fairway than any other.  

#15 - Tee shot just plays up over a ridge on this par 5 and is somewhat subtle.  I can't say that I am totally satisfied with the tee shot...even though it provides a different style of shot than any other tee shot on the back 9.  From the 1st landing area to the 2nd landing area or green turned out nice with an interesting option for the 2nd shot.  I really like the green complex, but am hopeful that we will be planting a few additional pines behind the green...to the left.

#16 - Good par 3 with a nice view of the historic cabin behind the hole.  I like the 12 hole better than the 16th as far as par 3's go.  I always liked the natural meadow behind the green and tried to not design a green complex to take away from the natural subtle beauty behind this green.

#17 - Time will tell on this hole.  This will be a very difficult par 4 especially is players choose the rear tees.  I am afraid that it may be too narrow, but will will continue to evaluate this hole this spring.

#18 - Unfortunately this is my least favorite hole on the new back 9.  The tee shot was a challenge to get a good view of the landing area and I think the hole is a little too short.  Hopefully, we will be building a new clubhouse in a different location so this hole will not be the finishing hole.  We will see.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2006, 02:47:26 AM »
Kevin,

The pictures are beautiful, looks like a great setting!

One comment on the 13th from my armchair architect viewpoint.  It isn't particularly long for today's distances (even less if you are at elevation there) and it probably plays even shorter by cutting the corner when longer hitters are going for the green in two.  I think something to add interest to that wide area of the fairway would really be nice, like a small bunker right center about 300 from the back tees.  Just to make players think a bit before just bombing away off the tee into what would otherwise be position A for those giving it a go in two.  Given the centerline bunkers on 11 and 15, obviously the owner doesn't have a bias against them so don't be shy about using them, especially in a wide area on a short par 5.  It might not make the tee shot more dramatic but it sure ought to make players give it more consideration when they step onto the tee.

Plus you might have an easier time convincing the owner to take down those trees if he's worried the hole will be too much of a pushover for long hitters otherwise :)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2006, 07:06:39 AM »
Kevin

Thanks for the pics. The website mentions "members." Is this a private club? Are there hotels nearby? Does one need a private plane to access this course?

www.devilstowergolf.com

Steve
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 09:13:54 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Kevin Atkinson

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2006, 08:06:40 AM »
Doug

Funny you should mention a bunker on the right center of the fairway at 300 yards out... I had one designed and shaped in that location but we ultimately took it out because the Owner was concerned about making the course too tough.  I did not totally disagree with his comment, plus I wanted to temp the golfers for going for this green in two and playing over the canyon to the small green.  So letting them "bomb" away on their tee shot was something I wanted golfers to feel comfortable doing.

Kevin Atkinson

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2006, 08:15:41 AM »
Mike

For the time being it will be a public course, but they are trying to go private.  The course is in a small town named Hulett (400-600 people?) and they have two small hotels in town, but the Owner is planning building a series of small cabins for travelling golfers to stay in while playing at Devils Tower.  

The airport is about 1/4 mile for the tee for hole #14 so it is obviously very close to the course.  They have built a small hanger for a few planes to be stored, have fuel at the airport and a runway long enough for a decent size private jet.  There is no commercial service so yes they are marketting the project to private plane owners/golfers who want to fly in and play golf.  I have done it and it is quite a rush.

Scott Witter

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2006, 08:22:36 AM »
Kevin,

There appears to be some interesting shots throughout the new nine.  Do you think the 'renovations/additions' to the existing nine will allow the two to match up, that you as an architect, would be pleased with?

Curious, given the BIG timber setting, how did you arrive at the hairy/lacy/rough bunkers as a design element?  From the photos, most appear to be fairly shallow, are some deeper and more menacing such that they will leave players thinking about where never to go again?  I have to agree with others, it would seem that a tan colored sand would have fit much better, but unfortunately it was out of your control.

If you have a chance, it would be great to see the routing, but judging from the landscape, it looks as though you had flexibility to route holes that fit well.

Does the green on #13 fall away from play...?it would seem that if it did that would be interesting on this shortish par 5.

Nice presentation, did you do the graphics etc.?

Finally, it looks like The Golf Course Co. did a nice job, say hello to Darren for me the next time you talk with him.

PThomas

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2006, 08:49:19 AM »
welcome Kevin...I always look forward to posts by the people who do this stuff for a living!

I like the looks of the course - not all green, bunkers of various shapes, kind of scruffy looking....

and I might be going to the Badlands for a famil vacation in 2007!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2006, 09:01:16 AM »
Kevin:

This is what I like about GCA. I never heard of Devils Tower or you, the pictures look very good and they make me want to play your course.

Welcome

Cary
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2006, 09:49:48 AM »
Kevin;
Thanks for the photos.....looks like interesting golf terrain.
I'm especially interested in your course as my father was born and raised in the Spearfish Canyon, just east of Devils Tower, and played and caddied as a boy at the nine hole course in Spearfish, South Dakota.  The greens then were sand....I remember his comments on how they putted, and the process of smoothing the line between the ball and hole before the stroke was taken.  I believe that course is now 18 holes and fully grassed.
I don't remember the town you  mention, but the beauty of the land in that part of the world is clearly in my memory from family vacations there as a boy.

Thanks again,
good luck,
Tom
Bandon Dunes
the pres

Matt_Ward

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2006, 10:08:19 AM »
Kevin:

Superb photos !

Can you tell me and the others where the course is specifically located -- drive time from Rapid City, etc, etc.

Also -- can you provide course specifics -- how big is the overall property -- the length of the course (18 holes) and how much grade change there is to the magnificient property.

I have always believed that over the course of time the natural beauty that is the west will grow and grow as a major golf destination as more and more of the talented architects are able to take advantage of what Mother Nature has already provided.

Welcome aboard ...

P.S. Can you also describe any of the key holes that those reading this thread should pay attention to?

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2006, 10:30:21 AM »
Kevin,
Nice looking work.
Congratulations on the partnership.
Please tell us a little more about the project.
Did you climb up Devils Tower for routing studies...  :)
How long was the process from when they first contacted you?

FYI - you can edit old posts - to remove those little pictures..
and you can preview to make sure the images will work - it is also good for editing.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Kevin Atkinson

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2006, 11:10:49 AM »
Scott

Nice to hear from you.  Darren told me all about his visit with you and said very nice things.

Good question about the front 9 vs the back 9.  This was a very difficult issue for us to resolve with the limited funds.  Because the existing front 9 is basically on flatter terrain with limited vegetation and a very basic "style" of a golf course and the back 9 raw site was totally different with a lot of contour, rim rock throughout, large pines, and great views we decided to just "relate" the two 9's and not try to "match" them.  Therefore, on the front 9 we did the following:

1.  Renovated  all of the existing bunkers (only 11 bunkers) and incorporated new bunkers (20 additional bunkers) to "match" the style of bunking you see in the photos posted above.
2.  Leveled a few of the existing tees and built 7 additional tees
3.  Changed a below average par 4 into a risk reward par 5.
4.  Removed many of the smaller trees that were aesthetically out of place that had been planted over the past 10 years and began to incorporate more native grasses and a prairie style.
5. Replaced the irrigation system and incorporated many part circle heads between on newly incorporated native grasses and turfgrass.
6.  Widened most of the fairways and/or created 2nd fairways to  create optional angles to attack each hole from with strategic bunker placement.

With all of this we still left 70-80% of the existing front nine in place and did not build any new greens and most of the original fairways and tees were untouched.  The theory is that eventually we will be building a 3rd nine holes in similar ground as the new back 9 so they will "match".  Last fall we began routing plans for this new 9...I can only hope it happens...it would help.    Overall I am satisfied with the renovation work on the front 9 but only because I know that we kept the amount of renovation work to a minimum to save $$ for the third 9 holes.

The bunker style was a team effort.  The Owner is very sensitive about the environment and definately wanted the golf course to blend into the rugged Wyoming terrain and ranching lifestyle.  He did not want the golf course to be a stark difference from the surrounding scenery.  Early on we decided to incorporate a rugged style of bunker and transplant the native grasses from the surrounding meadows into the bunkering to blend the course into the surrounds.  I think the stark visual apppearance of the white sand is a bit decieving and may be slightly photo manipulated by the photographer.  There is a good variety bunker depths, sizes, locations and shapes...

The 13th green is relatively flat but drains to the right toward the rim rock.  The green is only 4000 SF and sits very close to the edge of the rim.  It is a very interesting short par 5.

Yes we did do the graphics and thanks for commenting. Here is a copy of the routing master plan...I don't know if you be able to see it?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2006, 11:21:39 AM »
This course looks very appealing.  Was it a tough construction project with rim-rock and the canyon edges?  I'd like to meet the operators that pushed any dirt towards those edges.  Talk about a 'close encounter of the third kind'!!! :o ;D

Are you and Rick Phelps doing anything in Ogallala up at the lake?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Kevin Atkinson

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2006, 11:25:32 AM »
Matt

Nice to hear from you, I hope you can make it to the course some day.  Hulett is approximately 1 1/2 hours Northwest of Rapid City, SD and about 1 1/4 hours Northeast of Gillette Wyoming.  Both Gillette and Rapid City have commercial air service.

The Owner has multiple pieces of land that are somewhat connected.  I never did find out exactly what the overall acreage was, because it was enough...My guess is that the overall site is that the course is situated on is 350-400 acres.  The course is close to 7100 yards from the tips and a par 72.  The overall elevation changes throughout the course is well approximately 120 feet with most of the elevation differences occuring on the back 9.

Matt I will respond about the key holes a bit later...family is calling!

texsport

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2006, 11:27:11 AM »
I really like the look of #13. Am I correct that you've got to hit the far right or far left of the fairway to have a clear shot at the green in two?

If so, it looks like the trees right and the canyon come into play for anything pushed even a little.

Likewise, the position of the small green next to the canyon, and the intrusion of the canyon downslope and bunker short , right make for a dangerous long approach from the right.

From the left side of the fairway, the threat of a long downhill bunker shot to a green falling away toward the canyon is scary.

If I've got my directions correct, the prevailing wind should also tend to move approach shots toward the canyon.

I like it a lot!

« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 11:31:11 AM by John Kendall,Sr. »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back