News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Brown

Who are all the architects on this site?
« on: February 14, 2006, 06:49:11 PM »
What other architects, including those on GCA are generally lumped in the niche with C&C, Doak, Hanse etc. I'd like to here more from the architecst on this site, and I don't know all the architects that participate, so it would be great to know what architects are on GCA and what their niche is and where they design -- some mini bios. Also superintendents.

Do any of you get approached to do real estate or resort courses along with Nicklaus, Fazio...? Or is that a closed society for big names and prices?

David_Tepper

Re:Who are all the architects on this site?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 07:00:46 PM »
Mark -

Have you reviewed the archive of GCA Feature Interviews? There are probably at least 8-10 interviews of working golf course architects there. Many of those interviewed post here from time to time.  I am sure you can find much of the info you are looking for within those interviews. Many of these GCA's maintain websites for their businesses as well.

DT

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 07:42:52 PM »
I thought everyone on here was an architect, or about to be.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 07:54:26 PM »
Tom, I do information architecture - does that count?  :)

Chris Parker

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 08:48:12 PM »
I thought everyone on here was an architect, or about to be.

???  Whoa, Tom!  I think that perhaps everyone here who isn't an architect wishes that they were one, but I'm sure that the majority of us who aren't are at least cognizant enough of our limitations to realize that it's not in our career path.  

Having said that, I think it's obvious that everyone who belongs to this discussion group has a deep passion for and interest in the field of golf course architecture, and I think that is all that is necessary to contribute and share ideas.

We can't all design courses!  ;D  :'(

"Undulation is the soul of golf." - H.N. Wethered

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 08:52:31 PM »
Chris,

You could all DESIGN a golf course... trust me; problem is, you probably couldn't orchestrate its construction  ;D
jeffmingay.com

Chris Parker

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 09:19:39 PM »
Chris,

You could all DESIGN a golf course... trust me; problem is, you probably couldn't orchestrate its construction  ;D

Jeff,

I know, that's my point!  I don't know if Mr. Doak thinks that the ability/talent to orchestrate the construction of a golf course is a prerequisite to being a member of this discussion group, or if he just forgot to add a smiley.  Probably the latter. :)

I apologize, Tom, if I jumped to any conclusions.  I worked too much OT on the weekend.  The wife says it makes me moody.  ;D
"Undulation is the soul of golf." - H.N. Wethered

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 09:26:18 PM »
Chris,

I was kidding.  But I don't like to use smilies too often.

There are 1500 people on this discussion board; if they were all architects, we would all be starving!

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 09:32:12 PM »
"I thought everyone on here was an architect, or about to be."

TomD:

That one I'm gonna nominate for post of the year---Hilarious---and in the area of Dreamworks, also very true!   ;)

Jim Nugent

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 01:47:32 AM »
Chris,

I was kidding.  But I don't like to use smilies too often.

There are 1500 people on this discussion board; if they were all architects, we would all be starving!

Actually, it would be pretty much how it is now.  The cream of the crop would get the work.  The rest of us would starve!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 07:04:06 AM »
My guess is that being an architect is way harder than the majority of the 1500 of us presuppose.

For me, I prefer to play the best of the best architects work and enjoy it as such.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back