News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DTaylor18

Wilshire Country Club
« on: February 13, 2006, 03:59:38 PM »
I am traveling to the Los Angeles area for five days and have a bunch of golf scheduled and am still trying to plan a little bit more.  A friend of mine in the area emailed and offered to take me to Wilshire CC.  I have heard nothing about this course other than some of its well known neighbors.  Does anyone know the course or have any thoughts?  Thanks!    

Bill_McBride

Re:Wilshire Country Club
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 04:08:33 PM »
Haven't played there but have always heard it is very good.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 04:10:37 PM »
Try it, you'll like it.

Wonderful finishing hole.

Bob

Michael Robin

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 04:12:32 PM »
Dan -

Definately worth seeing. A really good set of greens that are usually the fastest in LA. Designed by Norman MacBeth, has a classic feel about it. Good driving course, have to turn the ball both ways and hit it straight. The 18th is one of the best holes in the city. Make sure to see the old pictures in the locker room of the way the creek that meanders through the course use to look, especially on 18. It's probably the next course to play in LA after the big three.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 04:14:00 PM »
Concur with the esteemed Messrs. McBride and Huntley - it is a wonderful course, somewhat on the short side, but with the best set of greens in SoCal (or darn close anyway).  And Bob is right - the finisher is very cool.  The quirky shortish par 3 #10 is a great hole also.  Hell there's really not a weak hole on the course.  It's very, very fun.

One of my best college buds is a member there now, and way back in the day I played many many school matches there - oh I do know the course well.

;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 04:15:20 PM »
Make that Messrs. McBride, Huntley and Robin.  ;D

Yep, after LACC North, Riviera, Bel-Air - Wilshire would be next.  I'm tempted even to put it above or at a par with Bel-Air.

TH

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 04:15:22 PM »
"Big Three" - I would speculate that's Riviera, Bel Air and LACC North.  How come nobody talks much about LACC South?  Where would it stack up?

Michael Robin

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 04:24:19 PM »
Tom - Thanks for the inclusion into such heady company. :)

Bill - A lot of my LACC friends quietly tell me that they enjoy the South more than the North! More character and variety even though it's so short.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 04:28:34 PM »
Michael - seems to me you fit right in.

;D

And interesting, I've heard that about LACC South as well - that it's a shorter, sportier version of the very difficult North.  I've never played it... But if that's how it is, I can certainly see members preferring it.

TH

Steve Lapper

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 04:50:43 PM »
Sherwood CC, and to a lesser degree, Lakeside are considerably more fun (and with greater architectual character) than Wilshire CC.

But then again, you already knew that, didn't you? 8)
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 04:53:22 PM »
Hmmmm... OK, I haven't played Lakeside in quite a few years, but as I remember it, I wouldn't call it more fun than Wilshire in any way other than celebrity sightings.  It is top-notch in that respect, as are all of these really.

Sherwood?  Jeez calling that Los Angeles is like calling Pasatiempo "San Francisco."

;)

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 05:32:06 PM »
Interesting timing this thread. I was just asked by 2 friends if I might be able to get them on a good course this Monday in L.A.

These are good guys from Atlanta with their own great connections down here so it would be definitely reciprocated.

Thanks for any help, and Dan, I hope you enjoy yourself as well.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 06:21:36 PM »

Yep, after LACC North, Riviera, Bel-Air - Wilshire would be next.  I'm tempted even to put it above or at a par with Bel-Air.

TH

Where would The Valley Club fit into this grouping ?

PS. I know Santa Barbara is not LA!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 06:24:42 PM »
Thankfully you added that PS.  I am the geographic stickler, you know.

For me, Valley Club tops any.  It is just pure, raw fun, with a lot of scenic beauty as well.  It's kinda like NGLA west.  It is shorter and easier than either LACC North or Riv though, so I could see those more into the "test" of things not giving it much respect.  But for a guy into the fun of golf and the soul-stiring, man VC has to be at the top.

TH

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 06:43:40 PM »
Huck, you were obviously lulled into complacency by the relatively easy par 5s!  Think back over the par 4s and tell me its an easier course.  #3, #5, #7, #9, #16, #18 - as tough a bunch of par 4s as anyone could ask for, all except #7 well over 400 yards at dead sea level, and #7 a great hole with that one greenside bunker dominating the play of the hole (the entire hole slopes right to left and downhill, the large bunker at the front right of the green is a factor even when standing on the tee!).

And the par 3s, a wonderful set.

Having not played Riviera, I can't compare, but I think Valley Club can eat your lunch every bit as effectively as Bel Air and LACC North.

Now that Tom Doak has pretty much finished reworking the surrounds and bunkers, the place is a pastoral paradise.  Ah yes.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 06:44:01 PM by Bill_McBride »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006, 06:48:30 PM »
Bill:

Well, remember we're talking too VERY long and VERY hard courses in Riv and LACC North - so there's no shame in calling it easier than either of those, as I see it.  And hell it sure wasn't easy for me!  It is plenty tough enough.  I just figured that those into the absolute total test of golf might not believe VC is better overall than those two, just like some prefer Shinnecock Hills to NGLA.

VC is not an easy golf course by any stretch of the imagination.  All of those par 4s are tough for sure... none of the par 3s are easy either.

And yes, pastoral paradise - that's a perfect description.

If I could choose anywhere in the state to live nearby and be a member, that would be #2.  I believe you can guess #1.

TH

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2006, 06:50:38 PM »
#1 would be nice for an "out of town" course given that it's foggier more there than in Santa Barbara!  Dream on!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2006, 06:51:32 PM »
#1 would be nice for an "out of town" course given that it's foggier more there than in Santa Barbara!  Dream on!

Good point.  Weather would indeed be far more preferable to the south.  Why does my mind think golf 95%, all other matters 5%?   ;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2006, 06:53:08 PM »
You also missed my "pastoral paradise"  ;D Ah yes!

......delivered in my best W. C. Fields voice!

Steve Lapper

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2006, 07:04:05 PM »
Hmmmm... OK, I haven't played Lakeside in quite a few years, but as I remember it, I wouldn't call it more fun than Wilshire in any way other than celebrity sightings.  It is top-notch in that respect, as are all of these really.

Sherwood?  Jeez calling that Los Angeles is like calling Pasatiempo "San Francisco."

;)

Tom,

Sherwood is 30-40min from Westwood (not exactly as far as Pasa from SF) and Lakeside has had a fair amount of work on it the last few years and is in much better shape than Wilshire, IMHO.

S
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Michael Robin

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2006, 07:11:55 PM »
Steve - My "Big Three" comment was concerning those in LA County. Lakeside for me comes right after Wilshire. And as far as conditioning goes, Lakeside has chosen to not overseed for the first time in 20 years, so right now, it's Wilshire in a gallop.

Scott Cannon

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2006, 07:14:43 PM »
Michael - seems to me you fit right in.

;D

And interesting, I've heard that about LACC South as well - that it's a shorter, sportier version of the very difficult North.  I've never played it... But if that's how it is, I can certainly see members preferring it.

TH

Played the big 3 and you cant go wrong with any. Bel-Air's front side is short but the back picks up steam.
No posts on LACC South because that where the ladies play, plus Heff's Mansion is on the North ;)

DTaylor18

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2006, 09:25:40 PM »
Thanks guys for all of your input.  It sounds like the course is better than I had originally thought!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2006, 10:24:09 PM »
If you live in L.A. and want the best run Club in the State, LACC is the place to be. The North is a great course, the South is fun and can be difficult at times but does seem like a little brother to  the big 'un.

If you want history and a test, Riviera. However, as it is owned by a corporation it is hardly one's own club.

Bel Air is fun, a lot of gambling, some very good holes, some not so hot, no driving range and a starter that takes money from its members in pushing them up the line for starting times. If I was the the Czar there, I'd fire him on the spot.

When writing about Wilshire, Jim Murray said, "Color it grey."
He meant it was a bunch of bankers and brokers from Downtown and about as exciiting as a Mormon revival meeting.

Lakeside of course is the most Irish of the place and a capacity for booze was a pre-requisite many years ago.

Sherwood is so far out of town that it is a non starter. Lots of TV and new movie people. One of the best locker rooms extant.

For some serious golf go east 14 miles and play San Gabriel.

For the best food anywhere, Hillcrest C.C.

For an examination for membership at Brentwood C.C. be prepared to go through a fiscal examination rather like an IRS Audit. If you are not making a serious charitable donation to the synagogue or Cedars of Sinai Hospital, forget about it.

Have I missed anything?

Bob

DMoriarty

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2006, 10:36:45 PM »
Have I missed anything?

Only the old joke about the guy named Goldstein who was turned down at L.A because of his last name, then turned down at Hillcrest because, while his name was Jewish, he wasnt.  Upon being so informed he commented, "I'll be a son of a bitch!" . . .  he was then informed that if he could prove that, then he should try Riviera.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 10:37:21 PM by DMoriarty »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back