News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Hello World...
« on: February 05, 2006, 04:50:01 PM »
Is it too early to start yammering about J.B. Holmes?

I followed him around the Palmer Cup at the Irish Course last June, and did make a post about the phenom at that time.  It looks like he is on a meteoric trajectory...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

JESII

Re:Hello World...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 04:53:21 PM »

Absolutely not, not after that 4 iron into 15. :o

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 04:55:04 PM »
go JB go!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 04:57:19 PM »
How about the 2 clutch putts in the last 15 minutes! ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 05:30:52 PM »
Nah,

The main man is Henrik Bjornstad from lil 'ol Norway!  The man is awesome....soooo down to earth.

He was asked what he thought his chances were this week and his reply was that he had played the course at least one hundred times.....on Playstation... ;D

The guy was a carpenter this time last year building houses just around the corner from me...

Awesome.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Craig Sweet

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 05:34:50 PM »
Whew!
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 05:36:13 PM »

Absolutely not, not after that 4 iron into 15. :o

Or his 300 yrd 3 wood into 26 or his 354 yrd tee shot on 18...
Steve Pozaric

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 05:36:55 PM »
Brian, I hope we get plenty more up and comers with great background stories like these.  Golf can use some drama at the top.  But, I don't think you are watching this exhibition in progress here at TPC Scottsdale.  Holmes just hit a gear no one has seen...

Now, Mike Hendren will be claiming this guy for the Hillbilly tour... ::) ;D

Brian Phillips

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 05:42:58 PM »
Dick,

It is pretty damn awesome.  He could have hit 5 iron, wedge on 17 but decides to just go for it...and does it...pretty damn good.

Good luck to the guy!!

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Brian Phillips

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 05:45:33 PM »
I would love to get Henrik on CPC this week as he has now qualified for Pebble and I know he has never played either course...i would be grateful to anyone who could help out there..., if FBD can get on surely a carpenter from Norway can get on...?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 05:49:11 PM »
Brian, what is it, about midnight where you are?  It was worth staying up for, I'll bet.  

I was thinking about when John Daly burst onto the scene at a Major.  That certainly helped fuel the media frenzy about his emergence onto the scene.  This Scottsdale tournament doesn't have that sort of prestige, yet they had in excess of a half million fans.  I hope the kid has a bevy of good agents, because they are going to come a'callin... :o 8)

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 05:56:56 PM »
Cobra picked a winner after a hiatus of no endorsements.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2006, 06:33:49 PM »
Cobra picked a winner after a hiatus of no endorsements.
Villegas did a good job as well for Cobra

peter_p

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2006, 08:03:28 PM »
The pros are reacting to Holmes and Watson. Vijay is hitting a 47" driver, Phil 48" last week. JB has all of Daly's skills and none of his baggage.

Mark Brown

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2006, 08:53:49 PM »
No. Now does everybody believe the ball has to be controlled?

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2006, 09:42:35 PM »
Perhaps this win is the best thing that can happen to golf. Assuming that professional golfers, like most people, are inherently selfish, they will look at JB's win and realize he is in a different league. He is a 20-year-old kid who, when his game is on, can completely destroy a golf course.

The players who have been dominating the game with their length—Woods, Singh, Els, Garcia, Goosen, Mickelson—will suddenly have the same helpless feeling that their peers have felt over the last five years. Fighting for their own self-preservation and relevence, they will need to push for a reigning in of the golf ball. Of course, it will be done under the banner of doing "what is good for the game." We saw this not long ago at the Open when Tiger broached the subject. Now that he has mastered a new 460 cc driver and has regained his power, he has curiously gone silent on the matter.

I don't believe that the guys at the top of the rankings will sit quietly and watch Holmes and Watson pass them buy. They will fight back with the only ammunition that they have—using their political power to make rules changes that are to their own benefit. Holmes's drives on the back 9 today will be the catalyst for these changes. Should be interesting.

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2006, 10:11:28 PM »

I don't believe that the guys at the top of the rankings will sit quietly and watch Holmes and Watson pass them buy. They will fight back with the only ammunition that they have—using their political power to make rules changes that are to their own benefit. Holmes's drives on the back 9 today will be the catalyst for these changes. Should be interesting.

Dan,

I'm sorry, but I find this comment ridiculous.  To think that guys like Tiger, Lefty, Els, etc are going to just fall to the wayside and cry for new rules.  I don't see it happening.

When Daly made his big splash in '91, did guys like Couples and Love insist on rules changes.  When Tiger hit the scene in '96, who jumped on the rules bandwagon to make changes.  

All you heard was "Well, I've got to get better to compete against guys like that."  Some have been able to improve and stay in the game, others have vanished and just hope to keep card.  

It would be akin to saying that we need to move pitchers farther away from home plate, because some guys throw it too hard--ain't gonna happen.  

I hope that Holmes continues to excel--makes us architecturally lacking Kentuckians proud, but one victory is not going to make a big splash.  

And anyway, do we really think that the tour is going to do much to slow the game down.  Maybe us eggheads see this power game as hurtful, but for the vast majority of golf fans, this is what they want to see.  Always remember, "Chicks love the long ball!"

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2006, 10:28:42 PM »
Weren't the announcers speculating on a Skins Game with Woods, Daly, Bubba Watson & Holmes? How's that for entertainment?
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Craig Sweet

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2006, 10:29:13 PM »
Lets see where he's at 24 months from now before we crown him the second coming of Tiger.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tim Bert

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2006, 10:31:33 PM »
Let's see if Woods loses a tournament this year before we decide there's not a damn thing he can do about it.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2006, 10:38:11 PM »
Dave, didn't I hear that he has already had some back problems, even this year.  I agree that the swing is not flippy and all.  But, does he have the right conditioning program (if there is such a thing for that specifically) to keep his back in shape for the long run?  

I like his visualization routine.  When I followed him at the Palmer cup, he seemed painfully slow on the preshot and pre-putt.  I think he got that speeded up a bit since I watched him.  Like Feherty said with that claw or whatever it is, if it goes yippie, where does he go from there at 23 years old.

But, I am really looking forward to this kid's spring run, now that he is in the Masters, it should be pretty entertaining.  He won't fold or be a one-trick pony like Gamez, no way.

Dan and Dale, you both make good points, and I can't decide which point of view I'd line up with regarding tour and USGA's expected reaction to the new breed length, yet.  All I know is the 8000 yard course with the sortest par 4 to be 480 is just around the corner...

Craig Sweet

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2006, 10:38:37 PM »
Shiva,
To take down Tiger its going to take more than physical ability.

Someday that might happen, but not for another 6-8 years. By then Tiger will be too distracted by family, politics, business, and saving the world.  
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tom Dunne

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2006, 10:40:37 PM »
Wow....sounds like I missed a lot skipping the final round for some much needed driving range time before the Super Bowl.

Reading espn.com's game story, this line about JB stuck out:

"Holmes displayed a calm demeanor that stemmed from his days as a third-grader playing on the high school team in Campbellsville, Ky."

Now that's scary... ;D

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2006, 07:25:43 AM »

I'm sorry, but I find this comment ridiculous.  To think that guys like Tiger, Lefty, Els, etc are going to just fall to the wayside and cry for new rules.  I don't see it happening.

Could be. But didn't you find it interesting that Tiger started talking about a competition ball once he started to lose his distance edge? Now that he is hitting it 330 again, he is silent.

Let's just see what happens two or three years down the road when there are 10 or 15 young guns FLYING it 340.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2006, 08:04:21 AM »
I would love to get Henrik on CPC this week as he has now qualified for Pebble and I know he has never played either course...i would be grateful to anyone who could help out there..., if FBD can get on surely a carpenter from Norway can get on...?

Well, Ex-CUSE ME, Mr Phillips!!!
but shurely there is a difference between some woodworker-chappie from the frozen latitudes and the kilt-wearing rabid MacKenzie-phile frae bonnie Scotland!!! ;)

And to think, there was me watching the young fella last night (well, the coverage of the tourney) and proudly announcing to La Nancy: "why, that's the young talented golfer my friend Brian mentions on GCA. Well done to him."

Seriously though, well done Henrik!! Next Stop - The Ryder Cup!

FBD.

PS and Back On Topic. Just what the hell was that Tee Shot on 18? It was a game with which I, for one, am not familiar...
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back