News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

10th at the Belfry: good or bad??
« on: January 27, 2006, 10:54:22 AM »
is it dumb that if you don't try to drive the green you are hitting a 7-iron or so down the fairway?  or is this one of the quirky holes that is good as long as it isn't imitated elsewhere?
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tony_Muldoon

Re:10th at the Belfry: good or bad??
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 11:47:34 AM »
this one of the quirky holes that is good

Correct, and people on here say we don't get enough of them now-a-days. Sure you can criticise it but it's memorable and why else would we discuss it?

Good
Let's make GCA grate again!

ForkaB

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 12:34:12 PM »
Good.

Andy Hughes

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 01:33:18 PM »
Very good. What is there to criticize? Its exciting and fun and gives choices, and rewards the good choice well played.
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 01:35:32 PM »
Hasn't the hole been lengthened to the extent that reaching it is no longer a viable choice?

Absent that, I'm with Rich and Andy - put me on the good side.

But if it is how I am thinking, then no, a mandatory layup followed by a wedge to a relatlively blah green is not my cup of tea.

TH

Jim Nugent

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 01:36:19 PM »
It sure looked spectacular to me, when I saw it on TV in the Ryder Cup matches.  Did they lengthen the hole recently?

paul cowley

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 01:37:04 PM »
g :) :)d
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Andy Hughes

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 01:37:25 PM »
Hasn't the hole been lengthened to the extent that reaching it is no longer a viable choice?
Ahhhhh, did not know that.  
Pity if so--always such excitement around that hole.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 01:38:23 PM »
Jim/Andy - I don't know - something is sticking in my memory that they have lengthened it.

But check my tag-line re how my memory works lately.

;D

ForkaB

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 01:45:16 PM »
There is a newish back tee that makes the carry very risky, but during the Ryder Cup they play it forward most days (depending on the mood of the Euro Captain of the day).

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 01:47:23 PM »
Rich - thanks - from that back tee it must be hard to see it as a good hole.

Didn't at least one or two rounds they play it from there though, either in Ryder Cup or some Euro Tour event?  That might be what's sticking with me.  When every single player lays up, it's hard to find much excitement.

TH

Allan Hutton

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 01:49:38 PM »
I think it did get lengthened for the Ryder cup.

You can still go for the green though, it's about 310 yards or so.  I think before the lengthening, some players could go for it with a fairway wood.

I seem to remember players being annoyed, but it was assumed it would be better for the Euro's as they did not hit the ball as far.

Did they move the tees up during the competition to tempt more players after the first day?  The grey cells are losing this battle....  

Good hole.

Andy Hughes

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 01:50:05 PM »
If you click here, you'll be taken to a course map.  Click on hole 10 for a yardage book guide to the hole.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 01:51:07 PM by Andy Hughes »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 01:56:31 PM »
Andy -PERFECT - muchas gracias for that link.

So ok, that yardage guide says 266 to the front from the back of the back tee.  That sure does mean fairway wood for a lot of players, driver for all.  In any case it doesn't preempt the choice.

So we're back to the question:  Rich, is the new tee you're referring to BEHIND those showed on the yardage guide, and not included in such?

As it's pictured therein, it remains a good hole by me.

I just still do recall a constant stream of layups, some time, some event.  But Allan and I are sharing grey cell issues.

;D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 01:56:57 PM by Tom Huckaby »

George Pazin

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006, 02:00:35 PM »
266 to the front of the green from the tips as the crow flies, downhill. Who isn't going? :)

The real question is, is it worth the trip to play the course, for the the history and a couple of good/great holes?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Andy Hughes

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2006, 02:01:56 PM »
Tom, I think there must be more tees than those shown.  If the yardage to the front is 266 from the back of the back tee, and the green depth is 44 yards, that means 266 + 22 = 288 to the middle.
But the guide also lists a blue tee at 311 yards.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2006, 02:02:52 PM »
George - that was my take as well.  266 to the front, hell even short-knocker me would likely give that a try.

Re the other question, I believe the general consensus is the course is no great shakes.  Hell I'd want to play it just out of historical interest - that is playing the site of so many great matches - but outside of that, well... it's gonna depend on how into history you are.

TH

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2006, 02:04:05 PM »
Tom, I think there must be more tees than those shown.  If the yardage to the front is 266 from the back of the back tee, and the green depth is 44 yards, that means 266 + 22 = 288 to the middle.
But the guide also lists a blue tee at 311 yards.

Andy - I have to believe the 311 figure is arrived at via a layup left + a wedge in.  No way they measure that on a straight-line at the hole.

So I believe those distances are from the "311" tee.  Thus I ask if there is another tee not shown.

TH

Andy Hughes

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2006, 02:10:44 PM »
Tom, you may be right, that does make some sense.

But when I look at, for example, the 195 yard drive red line and where it intersects the 74 yard approach black line, it does not look like that could round up to 311.
Or one drives it say 230 to the end of the fairway, it looks like it'll be about 60 yards in. But that's juts eyeballing a drawing, and what you said does seem logical.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2006, 02:12:53 PM »
Andy - it doesn't seem to add up to 311 for me also.  But Mr. Occam and his razor is telling me that finding a way to make that work is more likely them them listing a distance for a tee not shown.

;D

Andy Hughes

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2006, 02:19:12 PM »
Yeah, agreed, let's go with Occam. If nothing else, it makes more sense.
Either way, I am playing a tee that encourages me to take a rip at it (unless my opponent has already splashed one)!

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2006, 03:09:21 PM »
Rich - thanks - from that back tee it must be hard to see it as a good hole.

Didn't at least one or two rounds they play it from there though, either in Ryder Cup or some Euro Tour event?  That might be what's sticking with me.  When every single player lays up, it's hard to find much excitement.

TH

Maybe your memory isn't fading like you claim...

Torrance Sets 10th Tee Back Every Day

Only Duval went for 10th

Strange and Tiger whine about the 10th
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 03:12:45 PM by Pete Buczkowski »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2006, 03:18:08 PM »
AHA!

Pete, you just made my day.

;D

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2006, 03:18:47 PM »
I always thought it was a good hole for the Cup, nothing ufair about and it causes the player to make a decision and brings strategy into play with what your partner does. I like it, but I don't think it is great hole, but I am glad that it was a part of those 4 Cups.

Eric Franzen

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2006, 03:24:29 PM »

The real question is, is it worth the trip to play the course, for the the history and a couple of good/great holes?

Are we talking about crossing the pond or driving an hour?
In my opion (played it twice) I wouldn't dig a deep hole in my wallet to get there. I would go for it if I where in the greater Birmingham area and haven't played it before.

As you say, it is all about a couple of good holes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back