News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Robin

a sleeve of balatas - help for classic courses?
« on: January 18, 2006, 10:01:21 PM »
Recently I was reading about Mike Clayton and friends experiment at Royal Melbourne of using steel shafts and persimmon woods to play the course, but with the modern golf ball. Their results, if I remember correctly, were that they hit their shots roughly the same distances
that they do with state of the art equiptment, leading to the conclusion that much of the distance issues and the rendering of classic courses obsolete, was due to the modern golf ball.

So, that got me to thinking. What if as you walk into the Pro Shop at Cypress Point, Merion, Royal Melbourne, etc to check in, they say hello and issue you a sleeve of golf balls that they require/suggest that you use to play their course. This sleeve would be whatever they could get Titleist to manufacture/pull out of storage that would approximate the game before we had this problem-say circa 1985. You would have a wonderful day playing the course as intended, and solve a lot of the irreversable technology issues of today. You've heard of "The Tournament Ball," this would be "The Architecture Ball," or some other smarter name.

This could be a whole new revenue source for Titleist, give a solution to the Classic Courses, give the USGA an out, and seperate the needs of golf courses from being a tournament site vs an architecturally pure site.

Any value to this idea, or ways to make it stronger, or just stupid all together. I await your thoughts.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 02:49:07 PM by Michael Robin »

Glenn Spencer

Re:a sleeve of balatas
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 11:30:19 PM »
I would love for the option to be there. I think it would be cool if your entire game played the same outdated ball, it might actually bring talent back into the game for a little while.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 12:50:56 AM »
I  had the pleasure of playing my home course (slope 132) with one of the best hickory players in the country. Playing with clubs from around 1925 he went around in 1 over.

Ball = PRO V1

Jim Thompson

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 01:08:16 AM »
Michael,

You are right in track! The absence or decrease of spin, side spin to be specific, is what let's players through caution and self restraint to the wind.  That spin in the wind would also increase lift and the drag co-efficient reducing distance, but the fear of a mishit going another forty yards right would slow a lot of swings down and make the big rip a true risk reward choice again.

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

Michael Robin

Re:a sleeve of balatas - help for classic courses?
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 05:16:10 PM »
Jim - Risk/reward on the big rip with the driver, truly a forgotten concept.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 05:54:36 PM »
Log onto www.golfball.com

You can buy all the balatas you want at pretty decent prices.  I think I bought 100 for $50, great to use playing with the hickories.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 06:02:08 PM »

You can buy all the balatas you want at pretty decent prices.  I think I bought 100 for $50, great to use playing with the hickories.

Good stuff Bill. I wonder if any of the "traditionalists" who hate how technology is ruining the game have done this so the have more "fun" when they play.  ;)

Obviously you have and I commend you for it!!

I sent an e-mail to Titleist this afternoon to see if you could still get them from their factory, but have not heard a response.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 06:36:25 PM »

Bill, we are not quite so old school around here, but a friend of mine and I are planning a blades, wooden woods and no lob wedges match for the early season. Strange thing; everyone of my golf pals I mentioned it to wanted to play, none of them are close to purists but all thought it would be fun. I went to ebay to try to find a couple of dozen tour 90s or professionals, but they are hard to find and none were cheap. Your post got me excited but I cannot find any sign of a balata at this site. Do you have any further pointers?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 11:11:12 PM »
Lloyd, I had to wander around that site quite a bit.  The balatas are all previously owned, maybe it's in the practice ball area.  I've purchased twice and it wasn't easy either time.......

I hit my old persimmons last year at the range.  Didn't have any trouble hitting the driver, actually hit it as far as my 460cc thingy, not as high but more roll.  But I was unable to get a spoon off the ground, topped everyone!   :P
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 11:13:05 PM by Bill_McBride »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back