News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Lang

Blaketree National - Montgomery,TX
« on: January 18, 2006, 12:31:28 PM »
Houston may never be the same..

We're having an impromptu outing at Blaketree this Saturday the 21st.. with Adam Clayman.. I have two tee times (10:36& 10:48) and there's others available close to that..

Beyond the adventures at this truely hidden C&C gem north of Houston.. we may then go take a late afternoon ride around the Woodlands CC Player Course.. before dinner

Any folks intersted in joining the 30th Parallel Gang?

So far its:

Steve & Ms Sheila
Adam
Baxter Spann (tentative good)
MIke Nuzzu (dinner only)
TexSport (if able after European jaunt)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 12:48:00 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

George Pazin

Re:Blaketree National - Montgomery,TX
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 12:36:09 PM »
I'll be there, in spirit at least. :)

Please report back on the course, preferrably with photos!
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Steve Lang

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 12:41:23 PM »
 8)

Hi George.. I'll slice one OB for ya..

I've got some photos.. will add to them and post..

Go Steelers!

p.s.
Player #7 Biaritz Green
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 12:43:57 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 01:09:52 PM »
Wow, A C&C course?
You only described it as a hidden gem.
And, BTW Seve. You should have kept my anominity, if you really wanted people to show-up.
 ;)

Steve Lang

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 02:30:43 PM »
 8)

AC.. "..in the wind in the rain.. wherever he goes the people all complain.. but

forecast is SUNNY +68°F, will likely be shorts weather..

the discourse alone will be worth admission..
The voice of Inverness"

texsport

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 02:43:15 PM »
Steve
       Sounds like a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I'm off to Spain again and can't make it.
       Thanks for the invite--have fun!
John

Steve Lang

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 08:22:22 PM »
 :o  some teasing shots of Blaketree

a favorite hole, the 4th, how much of the cape will you bite off, how will you get it on and keep it the green way down the shoreline

the 10th.. welcome to the back 9

a possible view after first shot on the 16th, not quite to top of hill, time shape a fairway wood..

typical approach to 16th green..

The voice of Inverness"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 08:30:37 PM »
WHOSE course is this again?

There is no way Bill Coore built the last green pictured.

Scott Cannon

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 08:35:23 PM »
Steve,
Cant tell you how excited that there is a good C&C in the Houston area.
I live in Austin and get to play one on a regular basis. When I told my buddy (who grew up basically down the street) about BN, he freaked out!
I am interviewing for a job in H town next week and might just sneak out! thanks for the picks, there great.
Wish I could make it out this weekend and introduce myself to everyone. Maybe next time.
S

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 09:16:10 PM »
WHOSE course is this again?

There is no way Bill Coore built the last green pictured.

Mr. Blake did the last 8 holes....  :)
The 16th pictured could have been one of the best holes in texas if the boys got to finish... it was built generally where they routed it, but I'd see things a little different.

Although it is so unique I might not change that wall.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Steve Lang

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 09:30:50 PM »
 8)

TD,..  Good Eye, but..

C&C did the original routing, and built the first 11 holes with Houston businessman Mr. Thomas W. Blake (aka. the Bobby Jones of Texas in the 1920's) helping in design.. he was a real player.. in these parts..  I belive he was a lawyer-industrialist and ended up barterring for the land to build his "National"..

Mr. Blake stopped construction on the course in the mid 80's when there was a lull in the economy and #12-18 were built later in steps, slowing as he grew older and became sick and his family finally completed the course after he passed away, and brought it public in 2001.

Local Knowledge

Ther's 40-60 feet of elevation changes, typical of southern Montgomery County, mucho different than flat Harris County 15 miles to the south where Houston is centered.

• Voted in the Texas Golfer magazine, "A Best Kept Secret", August 2004.

• Ranked # 4, in 2004 by Dallas Morning News for medium price range golf courses.

• Signature hole # 12 received a # 6 ranking in the Houston area, by Houston Chronicle golf guide, March 2004 for the most difficult par 4's in the area.

• Voted as a "Must Play"by Avid Golfer magazine July 2005.

The voice of Inverness"

texsport

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 02:05:02 PM »
#16 is a pretty good par 5. 517 yards with that hill facing you on the second. Only bailout is left since long and right are down steep hills through the pines. Short lay up 2nds are faced with a 3rd semiblind uphill pitch--you can never see all the pin. If you hit it too close to the fronting hill, you don't have much of a shot left at all.

Balaketree National  website

http://www.blaketreegolf.com/golf/proto/blaketreegolf/course/course.htm
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 09:26:28 AM by John Kendall,Sr. »

ChipRoyce

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 04:46:05 PM »
Thanks so much for the invitation! Would love to swing over from Austin to join y'all, however, we have houseguests this weekend and if I had known sooner, would have found a way to ditch them :)
Hoping another opportunity comes up in the future!
Chip

Houston may never be the same..

We're having an impromptu outing at Blaketree this Saturday the 21st.. with Adam Clayman.. I have two tee times (10:36& 10:48) and there's others available close to that..

Beyond the adventures at this truely hidden C&C gem north of Houston.. we may then go take a late afternoon ride around the Woodlands CC Player Course.. before dinner

Any folks intersted in joining the 30th Parallel Gang?

So far its:

Steve & Ms Sheila
Adam
Baxter Spann (tentative good)
MIke Nuzzu (dinner only)
TexSport (if able after European jaunt)

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 07:26:26 PM »
Tom, You are correct. I think Coore did 1 to 14 or 15. The owners are messing with other holes now and likely not for the better. I loved the course. Infact it is with deep regret that Tiger will not be playing with the guys this saturday. Have fun everyone.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 09:53:55 PM »
Ah, so it is the project which Bill and Ben referred to as the "Magnolia" project back in the 80's?

I asked Bill whether anything had ever been done with that course the last time I saw him, at Bandon Dunes last spring.  Was surprised to hear him say that it had ... he decribed one hole with a great second shot from a high landing area that they had added a forced-carry pond to ...

They also started a course near Denver in about 1988 [not far from Colorado Golf Club] which was abandoned after they had shaped a few holes.  Bill said that one is a housing development now; he went out there a year ago and could just barely tell where his course had been after all the regrading for roads, etc.

texsport

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2006, 11:04:34 AM »
Ah, so it is the project which Bill and Ben referred to as the "Magnolia" project back in the 80's?

I asked Bill whether anything had ever been done with that course the last time I saw him, at Bandon Dunes last spring.  Was surprised to hear him say that it had ... he decribed one hole with a great second shot from a high landing area that they had added a forced-carry pond to ...

That's the 12th hole at Blaketree. 491 yards from the back--featuring an uphill teeshot to the landing area and then a severely downhill second to a reverse Redan style green set into the side of the next hill with a guarding pond instead of bunker. Unless you're Tiger long, it's a downhill shot of over 200 yards. If you are really long, you might be faced with a slightly shorter approach, but from a downhill lie.A terrific hole!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 12:59:27 PM by John Kendall,Sr. »

Steve Lang

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2006, 10:19:15 PM »
 8)
photographic proof.. the Clayman landed in Houston, survived Pappasitos, Blaketree with baxter, ms sheila and seve, Ruth's Chris for seven, and Nuzzo's Garage Experi..  

While the sky was overcast, the trimming and greens a little rough, course was confirmed as a hidden gem.. regardless of who takes or negates architechtural responsibility..
The voice of Inverness"

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2006, 07:53:03 AM »

Wow, you texans can take pictures into the future.  At least we know where Adam will be in a year.   ;)

Scott Cannon

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2006, 11:57:29 AM »
Played BN yesterday. It reminded me of Austin Golf Club. Start out no problem and as the round goes on, the course begins to take it's toll. Very nice.
2 questions:

Whats up with all the greens that work away from the golfer? Its cool and fun, but so many.

I was told by the pro that C&C routed all the holes, but only shaped 11. Is that routing statement true?

One comment, I told him some GCAers played it about a month ago, and he told me he did remember a group that toured all the grounds, and played. Then they made a offer on the course. Was that you rich guy's?

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2006, 02:41:36 PM »
No, That wasn't us. But very glad you pulled up the thread.

All the specualtion, on what was done by whom/when didn't detract from the wonderful feeling you get while playing this course.

For those who wanna be like Tiger Woods, and can't see through, or past, current conditioning, please stay away until such time as some savvy shark buys the place and decides to grow better grass, then jack the green fee 3 fold.

For the rest of you, I felt many things. First, the intamacy of the routing hits you almost immediately.  As you reach that cape hole, pictured above, the open meadow-like feeling is a rarity these days. The remainder of the round becomes a journey, complete with that feeling of not wanting to miss anything. The greens have ample slope and most are not all that large. Some of the feature shaping, is very reminiscent of Dye, and the only criticism this madman could deliver would be in relation to some of the smoothness found on some of the mounds. I considered most of these to be superfulous moundings. Not too many, but just enough in some weird spots. Almost subtle containment things on the edges of play.

If there's a lurker seeking out hidden gems to buy, this place has potential. Maybe too much Po for the tential, iff'in the bottom breaks out again in the oil industry.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2006, 05:42:24 PM »
Adam,
A subsequent architect recently added those smooth mounds as well as some volcano tees...

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2006, 06:04:32 PM »
Mike, Notice I ddint say who I was criticizing. Clearly some of the choices for change have been ill-conceived, however, there's just enough quirk that it all works very well. Even the eleventh(?) The par three which makes minimalism look over-built.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2006, 07:36:45 PM »
Mike, Notice I ddint say who I was criticizing. Clearly some of the choices for change have been ill-conceived, however, there's just enough quirk that it all works very well. Even the eleventh(?) The par three which makes minimalism look over-built.

It's the 13th and I like it.
That pit to the left is quite deep - 20'

Steve Lang

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2006, 10:09:36 PM »
 8)

I've made several offers, but apparently not enough 0's involved..

I believe this property/course has been in the Blake family for about 30 years, so until they chose to turn it over.. I assume it will stay pretty much as is.. a place to take the ol' game when you think you've got it working.. it was really pretty nice condition last summer.. the players cottage was full when adam came to town..

Oh and about the redan mania there.. there's only two words necessary.. GROUND GAME..
The voice of Inverness"

Scott Cannon

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2006, 10:38:40 PM »
8)

Oh and about the redan mania there.. there's only two words necessary.. GROUND GAME..

Man I laughed for 10 minutes after reading this.
Loved 18, the pin was back left.
Steve, have you played The Falls. Would like your comments.
Scott

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back