News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George_Williams

Dormy (sp?) Holes
« on: December 09, 2005, 10:23:48 AM »
We are trying to put in an extra par 3 hole to settle ties on one of our projects and my client wants to know of other courses that have that feature.  I know of Double Eagle, outside Columbus, OH. Doesn't the Valley Club, Montecito, CA have one?  Anyone have any other famous (or even not so famous) courses in mind that would be good examples?

Thanks!
GW

Kyle Harris

Re:Dormy (sp?) Holes
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 10:30:28 AM »
It was initially in the plan for Augusta National...

Not sure if it was ever built though. Would have been a short par 3 between the 18th green and 10th tee. Though the nines may not have been flipped yet... so it would have been 19th green and 1st tee.

wsmorrison

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 10:33:52 AM »
The most recent is Sebonack.  Lehigh CC had one from the start I believe.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 10:39:16 AM »
The Floridian  (Palm City, FL) has a nice one.  

I wonder how much they get used. It would have to be in the pefect spot. Maybe if it could double as a short game practice area it would be more usefull.

Tony Petersen

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 10:39:36 AM »
 ;D I know of 2 down here in sunny Arizona: The Pine Canyon Club near Flagstaff is a new Moorish project that opened a couple of years ago. The 19th hole is 90 yards from an elevated tee to an island green and is between the 18 green and the clubhouse... GREAT hole for taking care of the days wagers. Of course, Doak's Apache Stronghold has a fun 19th hole as well... Can't think of any in Colorado (Ballyneal ?) or Minnesota... I can't remember if Sand Hills has one or not. To be honest, I spent WAY too much time on the putting green trying the impossible right to left breaker  ;D
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 10:40:38 AM »
Stone Canyon has a very good one.

Michael Hayes

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 10:47:10 AM »
Buffalo Hills in Kalispell, MT has a 180 yd par 3  as a 19th hole on their 18 hole course.  
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Scott Stearns

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 11:07:44 AM »
popular here in the nyc area.  Knollwood GC has one---the club tells a sort of "george washingtion slept here" story about Bob Jones admiring the concept.  During a member-guest shotgun there it was used as a closest to the hole contest.

I believe Plandome has one as well.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 11:14:24 AM »
George, I am not aware of a 19th at The Valley Club, other than the bar off the locker room.
I believe Tom Doak's Stone Eagle in the Palm Springs area is about to open with a 19th par 3.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 11:18:00 AM »
I seem to remember seeing something like that between the 6th and 7th holes at the Hartford Golf Club.  I think they only use it if they have to close another hole for maintenance, or something like that (I'm not entirely sure, though).

Isn't there also one somewhere in the Caribbean?  I thought I heard it was the only hole in the world whose green is situated on a natural island.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Kyle Harris

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 11:25:31 AM »
How could I forget the venerable Twining Valley Golf and Fitness Club?

This was, at one point, an Alex Findlay design, and I believe their Dormie Hole was originally from Findlay. Unfortunately, years of township mutilation and poor management have left the old girl looking rather bad, but the 19th holes lives on!

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2005, 11:28:54 AM »
Kinloch Golf Club near Richmond, VA-Really good par 3 over water right next to the club house.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2005, 11:30:12 AM »
After several heated discussions I understand Barton Tuck convinced Tom Fazio to add the "Hog Hole" hole at Forest Creek in Pinehurst. It is a wonderful par three over water with the green set below the clubhouse complete with hog tee markers!

Kinloch in Richmond also has a 19th hole which ranges in length from about 120 yards to 190 yards. It is also over water to a green set below the clubhouse.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2005, 11:32:25 AM »
Kingston Heath has one built by Mike Clayton.

dsilk

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2005, 12:02:05 PM »
olde sandwich in plymouth

rjsimper

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2005, 12:09:33 PM »
The original course at Fazio's Forest Creek ends with a stiff par 4 that goes right up to the edge of the lake behind the clubhouse, and then the "Hog" par 3, the 19th hole, plays across it at around 170 yards to settle your bets.  

Edit - Rob Waldron beat me too it - Rob, since you seem to know a bit of the history there, was the original plan (since it seemed to omit the Hog hole) for the 18th to be in its current form with the long drive/walk back to the clubhouse, or was it for something else?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 12:11:01 PM by Ryan Simper »

Peter Galea

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2005, 12:34:45 PM »
Stanford in Palo Alto, CA.
"chief sherpa"

Jay Cox

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2005, 12:37:18 PM »

Pete,
Where and what is the dormie hole at Stanford?  I don't remember it from when I played there ten-ish years ago.  Was it added in the recent changes, or did I just miss it?

Jay

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2005, 01:52:00 PM »
George, the short hole at the Valley Club is used as an extra hole only to create an "inside nine."  There is a road that bisects the course, between the 2nd green and 3rd tee and the 12th green and 13th tee.

The extra hole is played from beside the 18th tee, to a small flat green about 120 yds away.

The "inside nine" is #1, 2, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, extra hole, and 18th played from the short tee.  I think it's mostly used by couples late on weekend afternoons.   The extra hole isn't used for tiebreakers, etc, because it's 400 yds away from the finishing hole.

Peter Galea

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2005, 02:04:36 PM »

Pete,
Where and what is the dormie hole at Stanford?  I don't remember it from when I played there ten-ish years ago.  Was it added in the recent changes, or did I just miss it?

Jay

Jay, it's to the right of 18. From 18 green you walk right and back down the hill a little toward the entry road. It's a par 3 back up the swale you just played on 18, I can't remember how long it is, maybe 135-140? The hole's been there since I first started playing Stanford in the early 80's. It's got a cool radio telescope in the background to aim at.
"chief sherpa"

Doug Wright

George_Williams

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2005, 02:07:34 PM »
Bill, you're right. I remember now about the "inside" nine......Thanks

Bruce Katona

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2005, 03:17:28 PM »
Hamilton Farm has a 19th hole par 3 across the lake next to the clubhouse.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 03:17:43 PM by Bruce Katona »

redanman

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2005, 03:29:41 PM »
They are all over the place, but Lehigh's is the best because Flynn did it.  (We think it's Flynn)

Actually, it has certainly been there since at the very least the late 1940's but it is hard to be certain of its existence before the war due to the photograph angles available.  The original map drawing file I have does not show it.

I've played a bunch, but a really short hole with lots of peril is probably best for the need that it must fulfill.

p.s. I think  d-o-r-m-i-e is the preferred
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 03:32:08 PM by redanman® aka BillV »

George_Williams

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2005, 05:32:33 PM »
Doug- thanks for the thread links.....Thanks everyone else, also.......

GW

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back