News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Erin Hills Update
« on: October 09, 2005, 11:12:23 PM »
This article appeared in Geoff Shackelford's website. Will the USGA copy the PGA and award a major to a new course?

www.erinhills.com

From the Lake County News
Lang on right course at Erin Hills
Chuck Delsman, Sports Editor    October 06, 2005

The 2015 U.S. Open golf tournament being held just north of the Lake Country in the Town of Erin.
Sounds kind of ridiculous, doesn't it?

Well, if things go right, don't be shocked when and if that happens.

Because right now, months before Erin Hills is even ready to open, the powers-to-be at the United States Golf Association are well aware of the potential of Bob Lang's latest adventure in Washington County.

The 580-acre site is spectacular to say the least. There are oak and maple trees, pine and tamarack trees, natural wetlands, eskers, hills and valleys and some of the most dramatic rolling ground you'll ever find where a golf course is being built.

How good is Erin Hills going to be? The mission is for the course to be the best in Wisconsin and one of the best venues for golf in the entire country.

Lang, a self-admitted hacker, says he has only a few goals for Erin Hills, which is expected to open in July or August of 2006.

"There are only a few things I want out of the golf course," the Delafield entrepreneur said earlier this week. "I want Erin Hills to be the most traditional, natural and challenging course the land allows it to be. And second, I want it to be a journey and an escape for a foursome of golfers to get away from any kind of civilization."

And, by the way, Lang has one other mission for Erin Hills.

"I want the golf course, to some day, host the U.S. Open," Lang added. "That's my journey for the course."

As wild of a vision as that might seem, especially for a Wisconsin golf course, don't be shocked if it comes to be. Several USGA officials, including executive director David Fay, have visited Erin Hills already. And that's pretty impressive for a course that's not even open.

In fact, in an uncharacteristic move, the USGA has already given Erin Hills a national tournament in 2008. The course will host the U.S. Women's Amateur Public Links tournament. That tells you the kind of reputation Erin Hills has already, despite being 9 or 10 months away from opening.

So, will Erin Hills be ready for play by next July or August? Mother Nature will probably have a lot to say about that.

"Our hope is to get the course open next summer," Lang said. "But we won't open it early if it's not ready. We want the course to be perfect on the first day we open. From there the golfers can make their own judgments."

Erin Hills, unlike a lot of exclusive courses, will cater to golfers of all abilities and ages.

There are six sets of tees on every hole. The course will measure 5,700 yards from the forward tees and a knee-knocking 7,700 yards from the black tees. If necessary, the course can be stretched to a never-heard-of 8,100 yards.

All the greens and tees will be bent grass and the fairways will be fescue. Lang loves to use the words "sea of fescue" when describing what golfers will see on their first trip to the course.

How difficult will the course play? It could be a monster, but at the same time be fair.

The fairways roll, twist and turn unlike any other course in the state. There's not a flat fairway on the course.

Designers Dana Fry, Michael Hurdzan and Ron Whitten have done some brilliant bunkering around the greens and fairways. Lang and general manager Steve Trattner also had some input into the overall course design.

Rather interestingly, while the dropoffs, undulations, rough and wetlands come into play on just about every hole, very little earth was moved on the course. On 14 of the 18 holes, not a single shovel of dirt has been turned.

The course has no signature hole. All of the holes qualify for that distinction in their own ways.

The course will have a par of 35 on the front side and a par of 37 on the back.

Rather unique, the back nine will have three par-5 holes, most unreachable in two shots, no matter how far you hit it. The 10th hole measures 658 yards from the black tees, the 14th is 583 and the finishing hole, the 18th, is 602 yards.

Golfers won't have to wait long to feel the wrath and the quality of the course. The dramatic first hole measures 578 yards from the blue tees and 640 yards from the blacks.

The tee shot goes gradually uphill, reaches a plateau, and then goes downhill to a green surrounded by wetlands on the left and behind the putting surface.

Erin Hills also has a 19th hole, a beautiful 185-yard par-3 (with seven traps) that could be used to play into the clubhouse after the round, breaking any ties. The hole also could be used for tournament play if it's needed.

The course is a golf course, not a country club. There will be no tennis courts, no swimming pool and no wedding receptions.

You also won't find a single house on the course. There will be no home sites on the course in the future either. In fact, from any part of the course, you won't be able to see a single house. One farm can be seen to the north and Holy Hill is visible from just about every elevated area.

A pub will provide the golfers with refreshments and food.

Lang said he hopes to keep the green fees somewhere around $125. If that's the case, it will be the biggest bargain in Wisconsin golf, and maybe in the country.

Right now, Erin Hills looks like it could turn into one of the best golf courses in the country, bar none. That's the vision Lang had when he started the project almost six years ago.

The course is located 11 miles north of Highway 16 using Highway 83. At the intersection of Highway O (just south of Hartford) and 83, Erin Hills can be found less than two miles to the west on the south side.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bill Shotzbarger

Re:Erin Hills Update
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 04:51:33 PM »
Most of that article sounds good, especially what the developer's thesis is: "I want Erin Hills to be the most traditional, natural and challenging course the land allows it to be. And second, I want it to be a journey and an escape for a foursome of golfers to get away from any kind of civilization." He sounds like Donald Trump with the mind of one of us on his shoulders.

The part I don't like is a par 37 on the back with three par 5s. No matter how long the holes are and whether or not they're reachable doesn't matter; most of the pros will still make birdie. And at 600 yards in 2015 (that's 10 years from now!) they probably will reach them in two anyway.

Chris Munoz

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 05:23:20 PM »
The one thing I don't like about Erin Hills, is that California greens are being constructed, with some kind of velvet bentgrass..There goes Hurdzan, again with straight-sand greens...He does not learn his lesson...

Muni
Christian C. Munoz
Assistant Superintendent Corales
PUNTACANA Resort & Club
www.puntacana.com

Ken_Cotner

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 05:57:57 PM »

Lang said he hopes to keep the green fees somewhere around $125. If that's the case, it will be the biggest bargain in Wisconsin golf, and maybe in the country.

In the hanging curve ball department, anyone want to step up and take a swat at "$125 best bargain"?   ;)  Especially those that have played Lawsonia?

Full disclosure:  I have neither played Lawsonia, nor seen Erin Hills.

Ken

Brad Swanson

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 09:38:20 PM »
Well, I've played Lawsonia, and for $22 I don't think I could've done any better (weekday twilight fee in early season).  I hope Erin Hills lives up to the hype.

Cheers,
Brad Swanson

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 01:49:09 PM »
I toured it, and while the traps were only roughed in, I think it will live up to its hype!
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back