News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jerry Kluger

How long would it take you to play?
« on: October 06, 2005, 03:37:56 PM »
I went out to my club the other day and it was pretty empty so I grabbed my bag and went out to play by myself.  Some might say that I went out to play a "quick 18", but I was wondering how would you play it - what type of personality are you?  Would you try and see how many holes you could play in a given period of time, would you pull the flagstick when it came time to putt, would you drop a second ball to play a different or better shot?  

I must admit that my personality would not allow me to take the pin out everytime and spend much time lining up a putt.  I do, however, usually limit myself to 7 clubs and try to play different shots with this limited number of clubs.

What type of personality are you and how would you play it?  

THuckaby2

Re:How long would it take you to play?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 03:46:22 PM »
Interesting question.

If completely alone on an empty course, one I am familiar with, I definitely play 3-4-5 balls and try a bunch of shots.  I take the flagstick out because I also tend to try a bunch of different putts.  The number of holes played depends on what gets me back to the clubhouse when I want to leave.  But the shots are definitely more important than the holes.

Other times, first group off, new course, or beating sundown, I definitely try to play a maximum number of holes in the quickest time allowed.  A few weeks ago my friend and I played La Quinta Dunes first group off, finished 18 in 1:50.  The plan was to play 18 more before the wives got rolling, so we had a purpose.  That being said, we did play everything out, at least as required in our match against each other.

Ahhh, the best laid plans of mice and men.  When we finished our quick 18, the world had awoken and the first tees at both courses there were packed.   :'(

Mike_Golden

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 03:47:54 PM »
When I get the opportunity to play an empty golf course it usually takes me about 2 1/2 hours to play 18 holes (walking). I might hit one or two extra balls during the entire round but I try to keep it like regular golf and play a match against my handicap.  I'll hit some extra putts as well but usually on the first couple of holes since on these occasions I normally jump out on the first tee without any warmup.

Unfortunately, my handicap is so far ahead of me I can never catch up ;D

Dan Kelly

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 03:52:15 PM »
Parkinson's Law takes hold when I'm alone on an empty golf course (a very uncommon occurrence).

The game expands to fill the time allowed for it.

I'll stay out there as long as I can. What's the rush?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 03:52:57 PM »
I wonder why it is but when I get such an opportunity I really never get completely relaxed as I am wondering what the wife and the boys are doing.  Perhaps that is why I will take much greater pleasure in this circumstance when I have one of my boys to play with.  

Brent Hutto

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 03:53:10 PM »
It depends on my mood...

Most often if I get away from work early enough to have let's say 2-1/2 hours to play golf before dark or supper or whatever I'll use it to walk as many holes as comfortable. I'll tee off on each hole, play a single ball to the green unless I hit it in trouble and don't feel like finishing the hole and then take one chip or long putt toward the hole without removing the flagstick. In those sorts of evening "rounds" I don't think I putt out very often since I'm not keeping score. It's mostly about walking and seeing the ball fly through the air, not scoring.

Other times I'll use that late-afternoon getaway to play an actual nine holes of golf. That would usually be if I bumped into someone to play along with. Unless I pair up with a slowpoke only a couple hours is needed for a very leisurely, strolling nine holes and maybe a drink afterward.

Occasionally I'll use an opportunity to play a couple hours by myself to work on something. Maybe I want chipping practice so I'll try to hit the ball to the short-side rough or something and then get it in the hole in as few shots as possible. Another fun thing is to play nine holes from the ladies tees with nothing but a pitching wedge and a putter or play an entire nine holes with a 5-wood (that's a fun one).

I have once or twice on an unexpectedly gorgeous evening played a couple of holes and then just found a comfortable place to sit and watch the sun set. Golf courses are often great places to be even if you're not hitting a golf ball. If you wait for the sun to go all the way down you can even play the last couple holes back in to the clubhouse in the gloaming...it's fun to hit shots from memory and feel when you can't see the green.

THuckaby2

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 03:57:09 PM »
Jerry - same for me.  On the EXCEEDINGLY rare times this can be done, the away-from-kids guilt overcomes me as well.  It's one thing to do it for more "formal" golf - ie, a tournament, scheduled round, something like that - but to do it for selfishly solo pleasure, well... I'm far too Catholic to allow such things.

;)

Bringing the kids for me ADDS stress, at this point.  Oh it's fun, but relaxing it's not.  Mine are 7 and 10.

TH
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 03:58:08 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 04:07:03 PM »
Huck: You ain't seen nuthin' til you've seen Jewish guilt.  Mind you my wife works really hard and I spend more time with the kids than she does but wait til I want to go play and the guilt she lays on me.  Now that my older son really likes to play it's still not enough - it's what about the younger one.  Just can't win.

My personality though drives me to seeing how many holes I can play - in other words, my mind is testing me to see how many holes I can get in - not how well I play or what type of shots I've played - just how many.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 04:08:50 PM »
I recently played 14 holes in 1.5 hours, the last two in fairly dark conditions, on a course that is totally unmarked, was unfamiliar, and where I got lost a couple of times.  I did leave the pin in on most holes, though never walked on the greens while carrying my clubs.  I am sure that if I had known the course and started a half an hour earlier that I could have walked all 18 in 1.75 hours.

Michael Moore

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 04:10:52 PM »
I play each shot until it is to my satisfaction.

Solo golf is a common and inexepensive endeavour here.

Disclaimer - I do not leave cluster divots in the fairway.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 04:14:44 PM »
If I was truly alone on the golf course, it may well take me all day to finish..I would be in heaven..playing a variety of shots from tee to green..probably no more than 3 balls from each spot, but playing as wide a variety of shots that I could imagine...especially around the greens..I just love that stuff

Of course I would make sure that I repaired all divots and ball marks!

THuckaby2

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 04:20:10 PM »
Huck: You ain't seen nuthin' til you've seen Jewish guilt.  Mind you my wife works really hard and I spend more time with the kids than she does but wait til I want to go play and the guilt she lays on me.  Now that my older son really likes to play it's still not enough - it's what about the younger one.  Just can't win.

My personality though drives me to seeing how many holes I can play - in other words, my mind is testing me to see how many holes I can get in - not how well I play or what type of shots I've played - just how many.

Jerry - love it - one of my great friends has a Jewish wife and we compare guilt all the time.   ;D

I've definitely gone the "how many holes" route also - it's just that for me that's even a MORE rare possibility... usually at these solo times, only one nine is empty, if that.  Thus the multiple balls approach is kinda forced upon me.

Re the kids, great point as well... once they start begging to play this gets even MORE complicated.  All in all that has to be a good thing... but just another to factor into one's golf guilt repetoire.

;D

ForkaB

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 04:48:42 PM »
I can do Dornoch easily in under 2 hours when on my own.  Much of my time up there these days is en famille, so I'll often get up and out at 6, finish by 7:45-8:00, get some morning rolls, sausage and bacon and a paper or two and then cook breakfast for the girls at 8:30 or so.  I'll hit a few extra shots, but my main objective is to get around briskly for a bit of aerobic exercise as well as exercising the golfing "muscles."  There are the few times that I will linger, to watch some birds, or the waves rolling in over the shore, or the light changing with the advent of the day.  They are good time stoo......

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 04:55:00 PM »
Okay Rich, you've now made us all jealous and the next time I'm playing my home course I will somehow pretend that I'm playing Dornoch.  It is the special character of Dornoch which allows you to enjoy each round as a unique experience.  I have tried to play my course with different strategies such as not allowing myself to hit the green and instead run each shot onto the green but it still is not the same.

rjsimper

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 05:26:37 PM »
If I have the luxury of time, I hit a few shots to the green (usually just one of the tee) and chip around the greens - I'm too wild off the tee to want to chase down all my blocks and snap hooks, but from 150 in, I love just chopping a few around.

But my QUICK 18 was 47 minutes...worked at a club in suburban LA one summer, got off work at 7pm, grabbed the sticks and a cart, told the cart barn guys to call me on my cell when the last cart was in and they needed me back...No practice swings, no reading putts from behind the ball, and got a call when I was putting out on the 18th at 7:47.

(Didn't play half bad either!)

THuckaby2

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2005, 05:38:16 PM »
Ryan - I have to know  - what club in suburban LA?  Having grown up in North Hollywood, I am familiar with damn near all of them.

And I've done solo 18s in a cart before in an hour also... it is kinda fun...

;D

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2005, 05:55:14 PM »
Was there a cart involved?
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

ForkaB

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2005, 06:15:56 PM »
Jerry

I used Dornoch as an example only because it is reasonably long and reasonably difficult, and I wanted to let people know that it is possible to play a round of golf on such a course in under 2 hours, walking, even if you are a geezer like me.

One thing I find (and love) about such rounds (regardless of the course) is how rarely I mis-club.  As Shivas says above, it's amazing how much better feel is than thought, when playing golf (pace Tim Galway).

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2005, 06:16:06 PM »
In a cart, takes me 2 hours...walking 2:45, I'm getting old and walk slowly now ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Joe Hancock

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2005, 06:24:01 PM »
I have no desire to play golf alone. Nothing wrong with it, but it isn't for me. I would guess it's been over 20 years since my last solo round.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2005, 06:29:08 PM »
Joe:

Try it sometime. I did it twice this summer when courses were open to walking only because of wetness, it is kind of neat.

You sort of have to like our own company ;D

Cary
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Andy Troeger

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2005, 06:45:54 PM »
Back a few years I used to take my Dad's cart out and play 18 in about 1.5 hrs before dark quite a few nights at his club. I loved being able to get into a groove without anybody in the way. I didn't feel like I was rushing and I was trying to play well, but I don't take much time anyway so it was a great way to play. I miss those days!

George Pazin

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2005, 07:09:31 PM »
It'd probably depend on the course for me. Most courses I'd probably just play a normal round, take a couple hours. But on a course with interesting greensites, I'd probably try some extra shots and lose track of time.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2005, 07:11:35 PM »
I would highly recommend playing with just a few clubs.  It makes your bag nice and light but more importantly, it really gets you to try some shots and you might find help your game.

Steve Lang

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2005, 08:06:57 PM »
 8)

Put me down for match play mania, first ball versus second ball to work on consistency.. walking in sneakers to work on balance.. normal 12 clubs (D,2W,5W, 4-11I, P, no 60° wedge or 4 wood - those are riding clubs), 4-5 balls, bottle of gatorade, some pretzels and chocolate decadence in a baggy, couple of tees and divot tool..

9 HOLES IN ABOUT 1:40, 18 IN ABOUT 3:30 (ALWAYS TALK WITH THE MARSHALLS 1-2x)

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back