News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Beaulieu

Inverness Links (Nova Scotia) Announced
« on: October 06, 2005, 08:41:41 AM »
Some months ago I posted about the site in Cape Breton, Nova Scottia, where a new course named Inverness Links had been proposed. A reclaimed strip mine site overlooking the ocean, the property looked spectacular and the community group proposing it had previously indicated that Michael Hurdzan, and later, Jack Nicklaus, were to design the course.

Today an announcement that the project, now known as Cabot Links, will proceed, with Rod Whitman as architect. Some details from the press:

INVERNESS — Construction on a $5.6-million golf course will tee off here next spring.

More than 78 hectares of prime oceanfront land will be handed over free of charge to a group of silent investors.  

The Cape Breton Growth Fund, an arm of Enterprise Cape Breton Corp., will chip in $2.5 million in equity funding for the project, which means that if the project makes money, the group will repay the federal government.

Ben Cowan-Dewar will head up the project, known as Cabot Links.

He is president of GolfTI of Toronto, a luxury golf travel company and a course-ranking panellist on some golf magazines.

“I represent the group and am the president, CEO and developer, but the group of investors comes from different parts of Canada,” said Mr. Cowan-Dewar.

Mr. Cowan-Dewar said the golf course will be designed by Rod Whitman, an Alberta golf course architect. Mr. Whitman’s projects include the Wolf Creek Golf Resort and Blackhawk Golf Club, both in Alberta.

A_Clay_Man

Re:Inverness Links (Nova Scotia) Announced
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 08:58:43 AM »
With The Highlands course nearby, Ben is sure to make Whitman's design hum.

Congrats!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 10:05:25 AM »
Wow.

I wish we'd been considered, but I'm happy for Rod and sure he will do a great job, for a lower fee than I would have asked!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 10:23:51 AM »
I love the name - the Cabot Trial is the most spectacular road I've ever driven.  Just don't try to do it at 9PM after playing at Highlands Links - the moose don't move when you approach.

Should be a spectacular site, especially if it's up on the North side of the island.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 11:01:44 AM »
http://www.cabotlinks.com/

I like the name too.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 11:02:18 AM by Mike_Nuzzo »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 11:21:00 AM »
Aah Inverness....

God's country.    Truly spectacular - I can't wait!

Believe me folks - this site has the potential to be another Bandon.

(I wonder if they get the suete winds like they do up in Cheticamp to the North)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 11:27:27 AM by Dan Herrmann »

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 11:50:19 AM »
Yes, I have to think they picked one of the better choices they could have made for an architect. I was happy to read his comments on the web page (thanks for that link) and the comparisons he made. Maybe Brightwood can get him to "consult" with Les Furber when they're both here working...

A while back I found a web page that had pictures of the land the course will be built upon, and they were spectacular. Now I can't find it. If anyone knows it, I'd appreciate the link.

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 12:00:27 PM »
I see this site is on the west side of Cape Breton, more or less directly across the island from the Highland Links/Keltic Lodge. As I recall, there are no roads across the island. The only way is to drive the Cabot Trail around the perimeter of the island.

Does anyone know what the approximate drive time/driving distance will be between the two courses?

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 12:32:51 PM »
Good luck Ben and team.   Maybe I didn't read it carefully but is this going to be walking only.  Also how far is the drive from Halifax?

Neal_Meagher

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 12:48:03 PM »
A hearty congratulations is in order for Rod Whitman and our friend Jeff Mingay who also assisted Rod at Blackhawk in Edmonton.  This looks to be a fantastic opportunity for both to deliver the goods in such a dramatic setting.
The purpose of art is to delight us; certain men and women (no smarter than you or I) whose art can delight us have been given dispensation from going out and fetching water and carrying wood. It's no more elaborate than that. - David Mamet

www.nealmeaghergolf.com

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 01:23:03 PM »
Dan H.:

It sounds just a little bit harder to pull off than Bandon, in that our site(s) were not ever used for strip mining.

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 02:37:03 PM »
I have been to that area twice, about 5 years ago. It's certainly going to have spectacular views!

I think it is correct there is no road through the center of Cape Breton...

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 02:45:29 PM »
Dan H.:

It sounds just a little bit harder to pull off than Bandon, in that our site(s) were not ever used for strip mining.

Oops - Didn't know that :-)

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 02:50:35 PM »
Joel -

I did the drive from Halifax to the Highland Links/Keltic Lodge a long time ago. Mapquest says it is a 5+ hour drive, which sounds about right. It looks like the new course will be just as far around Cape Breton, going west around the island instead of east.

DT

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 02:59:49 PM »
Can anyone shed any light on a course that was to be developed by Fergus McCann.

McCann is a scot who made a pile in Canada before returning to Scotland and buying Celtic (one of Europe's great football clubs) for £1 just as they were about to go bust.  He had a business plan and true to his word he sold up and made a profit of about £39 999 999 five years later.

I was told that his next five year plan (must be up by now)was an upmarket golf/hotel complex on the eastern seabord.  Know anything about this?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 03:00:21 PM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

henrye

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2005, 04:35:42 PM »
I wish we'd been considered, but I'm happy for Rod and sure he will do a great job, for a lower fee than I would have asked!

My understanding is that it will never be a Bandon as the site is a relatively small 195 acres and will only accommodate 18, but it does have the town and charm that places like Bandon couldn't hope to duplicate.

Tom, I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic when you say "a little bit harder to pull off...in that our site(s) were not ever used for strip mining", but based on a comment like that, it probably makes sense that you were never considered for the project.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2005, 04:58:20 PM »
The site in Inverness is a mine that was capped with sand a number of years ago. The photos I've seen make it look terrific -- it'll certainly get closer to the water than Pacific, Mr. Doak -- and I think Rod will do a great job, regardless of whether he is charging as much as Renaissance Golf. I'm sure Rod knows how important a site like this could be to his career and if Blackhawk is any indication, I'm sure this course will be excellent.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2005, 05:43:57 PM »
I see this site is on the west side of Cape Breton, more or less directly across the island from the Highland Links/Keltic Lodge. As I recall, there are no roads across the island. The only way is to drive the Cabot Trail around the perimeter of the island.

Does anyone know what the approximate drive time/driving distance will be between the two courses?

Between the courses, I don't know. From Halifax, I'm guessing probably 4 hours drive. I used to make that trip years ago but my memory is fuzzy on how long it took. I can tell you that  the drive along the highway from Port Hawkesbury to Port Hood to Inverness is a treat (if you're not in a hurry).

Robert Thompson

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2005, 05:47:47 PM »
Probably two hours, maybe a bit less from Halifax. You can make it from Halifax to Highlands in a little over four, or at least that's my experience and this isn't nearly as far as that.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 05:51:20 PM by Robert Thompson »

George Pazin

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2005, 05:55:00 PM »
Great news for a bunch of great guys - congratulations. Nothing makes me happier than seeing GCA guys succeed. Hope I get to see the final product someday.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2005, 07:09:37 PM »
Probably two hours, maybe a bit less from Halifax. You can make it from Halifax to Highlands in a little over four, or at least that's my experience and this isn't nearly as far as that.

Robert, you must be traveling by helicopter... ;-)

It's two hours from Halifax to around New Glasgow, say three to get to Cape Breton. This is at least an hour from Port Hawkesbury, so I make it four.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2005, 07:14:12 PM »
Greg is correct...I did the drive last month...RHE

Robert Thompson

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2005, 08:12:46 PM »
I stand corrected and my memory is failing -- it is two hours from Sydney, though I know I did Halifax airport to Highlands in less than five hours -- maybe four and a half.

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2005, 08:26:08 PM »
On TGC tonight they had a feature about "The Glenlivet City Links" in NYC -- a putt-putt course modelled after a Scottish links, where you can also have a wee dram of The Glenlivet. Apparently they are moving it around to major cities in the USA.

It occurred to me that once Cabot Links becomes a reality, assuming Rod gets it right as I'm sure he will, you will be able to do this for real. Just down the road is the Glenora Distillery. They make North America's only single-malt Highland (can't call it Sc*tch!) whisky, in a beautiful setting. The whisky's not bad either. Plus, they have a very nice Inn if you imbibe too much and wish to stay.

For those of us here in the colonies, Scotland on the cheap, perhaps.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2005, 08:39:09 PM »
Rod and I are really excited about this project. The property and setting are unparalleled in Canada. And, Ben's the ideal developer to work with. There's no doubt creation of this course will be fun.

Like Bandon, the development of Cabot Links means a lot to the local economy and community pride, which gives us that much more incentive to do really well there (not that we need any more incentive than the opportunity!).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 08:01:23 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back