News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

FYI: Crump Cup @ Pine Valley - final matches Sun, Oct 2
« on: September 26, 2005, 05:17:21 PM »
FYI - Pine Valley opens its doors to the public this Sunday with the playing of the final matches of the Crump Cup.

Gates will open at 1pm, and parking is in nearby Clementon.

If you've never seen Pine Valley, get out there, and you too will see why Pine Valley is #1.

Full info is available by dialing 856-783-3000, option 4.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 01:45:52 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Dan Herrmann

Re:FYI: Crump Cup @ Pine Valley - final matches Sun, Oct 1
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 01:16:55 PM »
bumping once - just so everybody that'd be interested has a chance to experience PV.

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 01:22:51 PM »
 Eagles not on until later--so, play golf, go there, come back for Eagles. Don't tell my wife I already have these plans , she still thinks I just go with the flow!
AKA Mayday

Dan Kelly

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 01:26:45 PM »
Now that this has been bumped back up (I resisted yesterday!), the editor in me won't allow the date to go uncorrected!  ::)

If it's Sunday, it must be October 2.

Thirty days hath September, April, June, and November ...

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Dan Herrmann

Re:FYI: Crump Cup @ Pine Valley - final matches Sun, Oct 2
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 01:47:23 PM »
Dan - Thanks - I corrected the date.

By the way, if you've never been there, be sure to check out 'City Hall' as you enter the grounds.  Pine Valley, NJ is an incorporated NJ boro, and has a mayor and a police force.  In fact, city hall is the only part of the property that's accessable to the public on a day to day basis.

It's a very cool experience!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 02:21:53 PM »
If you haven't been there, and you have the free time this weekend, PV is one of those rare things in life that far exceeds high expecations.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 02:43:12 PM »
Have the matches started? Is Jamie playing? If so, good luck from the treehouse.
Mr Hurricane

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 02:55:22 PM »
Mike is right.  I attended the Philly Open at PV a couple of years ago, and went to the Masters practice rounds this year.

To me, PV was a much better experience.  And I went in the back door at AGNC and had Amen Corner all to myself for about 5 minutes too.

Michael Plunkett

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 12:09:41 AM »
Mike is right.  I attended the Philly Open at PV a couple of years ago, and went to the Masters practice rounds this year.

To me, PV was a much better experience.  And I went in the back door at AGNC and had Amen Corner all to myself for about 5 minutes too.
I had a chance, unlike the public, to photograph Jon Applegat's win over  John DeMarco in the playoff that Monday. A few officals, Jon's parents were all that attended the playoff.  I walked around with my camera covering the event for the Philadelphia Inquirer and taking pictures of the entire course. I felt like a thief- LOL- but I now have a nice portfolio of PV.  
PV is like a cathedral with the sweetest smelling air I ever inhaled.    Go, Nothing is flat on the course, wear good shoes.

mp

Jason Mandel

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 07:47:57 PM »
Any update on the Crump Cup status?  Who's still in the championship flight?

You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 10:57:56 PM »
The coolest thing about attending Crump Cup (other than being at PV of course) is that they allow you to walk the fairways with the players. It gives you a totally different perspective on the holes, compared to when you have to be behind the ropes.

They even allow visitors to step on the greens, although I cringed at that.

Walking Pine Valley is a singularly wonderful experience - what a piece of property!!!

« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 07:37:24 AM by Voytek Wilczak »

Michael Plunkett

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2005, 08:51:43 AM »
During the Philadelphia Open that was held at PV, one of the more endearing moments I remember was when a ball landed off the fairway (four, I think) into a batch of flowers that adorned an otherwise unostentatious clubhouse. The ball was still in play and the golfer asked the Marshall if he could take a practice swing near the ball. Without batting an eyelash, the Marshals said yes, it is in the rules that you can. The golfer standing in the flower bed, whacked away ripping flowers a few feet from the ball. He then stepped up to the ball and landed it on the green. Nice to see the rules of golf meant more than landscaping.

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2005, 09:20:36 AM »
Michael:

Actually the clubhouse itself, driveway and parking lot is in play at PVGC. :)

A couple of years ago my ball came to rest on the windshield wipers of Buddy Marucci's $237,000 Mercedes and I completely wiped out his driver's side mirror with a practice swing! The actual shot was a delicate "bounce" off his windshield (that miraculously did not break) but I did take out his driver's side windshield wiper in what passed for my divot!

Michael Plunkett

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2005, 07:20:37 PM »
Wow, wish I saw that.  Nice to have some money, lol.  A great story to tell and re-tell.  

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2005, 07:50:25 PM »
Michael:

A couple of years ago my ball came to rest on the windshield wipers of Buddy Marucci's $237,000 Mercedes and I completely wiped out his driver's side mirror with a practice swing! The actual shot was a delicate "bounce" off his windshield (that miraculously did not break) but I did take out his driver's side windshield wiper in what passed for my divot!

I'm pretty sure that when Buddy Marrucci finished 2nd to Tiger Woods in the Amateur several years back, the announcers referred to him as a "used car salesman." hah!! ;D

I didn't to to the tournament, but coincidentally, when I saw the Phila Open there a few years ago, the very first shot I saw was Slonis' approach at 18. Great tournament, unbelievable course.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 08:00:49 PM by Craig_Rokke »

TEPaul

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2005, 10:38:23 PM »
"I'm pretty sure that when Buddy Marrucci finished 2nd to Tiger Woods in the Amateur several years back, the announcers referred to him as a "used car salesman." hah!! :)

This kind of two-bit remark was uncalled for in the past on this website and it's uncalled for on this website now. At the 1995 US Amateur at Newport Johnny Miller referred to Buddy Marucci a couple of times as a successfuly owner of a few Mercedes dealerships which he was then and is now. He did not refer to him as a 'used car salesman'.

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2005, 07:10:35 AM »
No need to be defensive, TE. It was simply my personal recollection of what a felt was an amusing, inaccurate
depiction. No offense intended to anyone. ???

Jim Nugent

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2005, 07:16:49 AM »
Michael:

You failed to tell us Buddy's reaction to all of this.  

TEPaul

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2005, 07:35:54 AM »
"You failed to tell us Buddy's reaction to all of this."

JimN:

Yep, I did fail to tell you what his reaction was because he didn't have one. It was a joke. However, if I ever do hit a shot on #4 into the parking lot and my ball lands on Buddy's $237,000 Mercedes windshield wiper I definitely am going to take out my SW and take a practice swing that eliminates his driver side mirror and then I'm getting up on the hood of his car and I'm gonna hit a lob shot that hopefully doesn't take out his windshield but will undoubtedly take out his windshield wiper as my divot. If then, Buddy asks me how I could've done such a thing I'll simply ask him why in the hell he left a $237,000 Mercedes in the right hand chipping area (parking lot) of hole #4. ;)

Have you ever noticed that the cars that are parked over in the right hand side of the lot (by #18) are all pretty much backed into the parking spots? Yep, it's because it's generally a better idea to lose a rear window than a front windshield!  ;)

People who park their cars in lots that are close to holes need to understand the realities. The other day some old guy in the Pennsylvania Senior Better Ball Championship wiped out some guy's window at Philadelphia Cricket Club and just ask Wayne Morrison about that poor guy's windshield at Charles River C.C.  ;)

Speaking of car windows and golf this story is true and is pretty freaky. A good many years ago I was practicing at Piping Rock. Way over on the right side of the range was the great Jimmy Bostwick who was practicing with his own practice balls. Jimmy Bostwick always did march to his own drummer and he was also one of the best recovery shot and trick shot artists I ever saw. He had some beat up old station wagon parked pretty near where he was practicing hitting all these weird and wonder full shots out of a practice bunker. Then to my total amazement he turned around and started hitting these low line drives out of the bunker at his old beat up station wagon. Crash, boom, smash, he basically took out some of the windows and put a bunch or dents in the car. Eventually I went over there and asked him what the hell he was doing and he just said the car was worthless and all he could do with it anyway is junk it. I didn't see Jimmy after that for about another year and when I saw him next and asked him how he'd been doing he said he was OK other than some fairly severe lascerations he had on his ass for a couple of months.   ;)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 07:53:47 AM by TEPaul »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2005, 07:48:51 AM »
"You failed to tell us Buddy's reaction to all of this."

JimN:

Yep, I did fail to tell you what his reaction was because he didn't have one. It was a joke. However, if I ever do hit a shot on #4 into the parking lot and my ball lands on Buddy's $237,000 Mercedes windshield wiper I definitely am going to take out my SW and take a practice swing that eliminates his driver side mirror and then I'm getting up on the hood of his car and I'm gonna hit a lob shot that hopefully doesn't take out his windshield but will undoubtedly take out his windshield wiper as my divot. If then, Buddy asks me how I could've done such a thing I'll simply ask him why in the hell he left a $237,000 Mercedes in the right hand chipping area (parking lot) of hole #4. ;)

Have you ever noticed that the cars that are parked over in the right hand side of the lot (by #18) are all pretty much backed into the parking spots? Yep, it's because it's generally a better idea to lose a rear window than a front windshield!  ;)

People who park their cars in lots that are close to holes need to understand the realities. The other day some old guy in the Pennsylvania Senior Better Ball Championship wiped out some guys window at Philadelphia Cricket Club and just ask Wayne Morrison about that guys windshield at Charles River C.C.  ;)

Tom, I knew it was a joke and I'm the one who failed, in my attempt to draw it out a little further.  Anyway, I enjoyed your post!

TEPaul

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2005, 08:20:42 AM »
JimN:

Here's a few other strange things I've seen which I think I posted on here once upon a time but probably years ago.

My Dad was something of a trick shot artist and he had this stunt he'd sometimes do for unsuspecting people on a range. He'd tell people he was going to show them a shot that was so high and so hard it was pretty hard to even see the ball. He'd tee a ball real high, take out his 2 iron and tell the people to really watch carefully way up in the sky or they may not see the ball in flight. He'd take a big swing and the people would always be looking way up in the sky exclaiming that was some amazing shot because they really couldn't see where the ball went. Not until they noticed that ball was on the ground right underneath where the tee was.

So one time I asked him where he came up with something like that and he said he thought of it back in the early 1950s when he used to hang around Timaquana with all these good players some of whom were really good trick shot artists. Two of them were the Lafoon brothers and one time while they were playing Ky Laffon's ball was sitting way high up on a tuft of rough and he told all of them to watch this shot he was about to hit---that he was goiing to hit it so high and so hard they may not even be able to see it. So Ky hauls off and takes this big swing and the ball shoots straight up and hits him up under the chin dropping him to the ground. Dad said they were all laughing so hard some of them were on the ground too.

Then another time I was hitting balls on the range at Gulf Stream right behind my Dad who was right behind this guy who owned all the dog tracks in South Florida who was the worst golfer imaginable. He was chopping balls all over the place, shanking them etc. All of a sudden I hear this Uggggh, and I noticed this guy has dropped his club and is all bent over. My Dad turns around and says he was watching this guy and one of the balls richoted off the club or something and hit this guy right smack in the balls. Dad said: "I thought I'd seen everything in golf but I guess not."   ;)

Steve Lapper

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2005, 07:58:52 PM »
Buddy Marucci's $237,000 Mercedes

This story was total bollocks from the start

There is no M-B that is $237 k in the US

The SLK is over $400k (the Donald has one and there is one in SFA's southwest corner window right now) and the CL 65 and SL 65 are both under $200 k.

Tom Paul you are called out as full of merde ;)

You are Wrong!!

The Maybach (made by MB) is $237k.

Know your facts.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Michael Plunkett

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2005, 10:16:19 PM »
Wow, wish I saw that.  Nice to have some money, lol.  A great story to tell and re-tell.  

Im to gulible. And now feels  like a chump.  :-\ ::)

Jim Nugent

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2005, 01:26:46 AM »
Buddy Marucci's $237,000 Mercedes

This story was total bollocks from the start

There is no M-B that is $237 k in the US

The SLK is over $400k (the Donald has one and there is one in SFA's southwest corner window right now) and the CL 65 and SL 65 are both under $200 k.

Tom Paul you are called out as full of merde ;)

You are Wrong!!

The Maybach (made by MB) is $237k.

Know your facts.

And you could turn a $90k car into a $237k car with a few custom jobs.  

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2005, 08:22:37 AM »
We went, and once again, it didn't disappoint.  What a golf course - no wonder it's #1.

Say - what type of grass do they use on their fairways?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back