News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Evan Fleisher

Central Kansas...Anything Worthwhile?
« on: September 09, 2005, 08:50:36 AM »
...besides Prairie Dunes???

Not going to play there this trip (don't ask!), but looking for something else that might be worth a looksy.  A Golfcourse.Com search turned up very little of interest, so thought maybe someone else here might have some suggestions.

We will be in Pratt on Tuesday, and need to be up in Great Bend by evening time...our only "window of opportunity" to play.

Suggestions?
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Jeff_Brauer

Re:Central Kansas...Anything Worthwhile?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 09:48:01 AM »
In the look but don't touch category you could go by to see Faldo's Cottonwood Hills, near PD. I was in Wichita airport yesterday, and saw photo ads for it. I toured it earlier in dirt and saw some nice things.  If you are touring, you could drop by and see my Newton, Ks project, just south of 50 on the way back from PD.

Colbert Hills two hours north in Manhattan is thought well of by some, including GD who names it as a top college course, and GW, which had it as the top public course in KS last time I looked.  Chisohm Trail in Abliene, just off I 70 is also good, and much more minimalist. Its now owned by Ron Whitten.

In Wichita, the munis are very average.  The best by far is the Perry Dye designed Auburn Hills on the west side of town.,

If you have private club connections, the Morrish Willowbend north of town and Terradyne east of town is a Sechrest Links style course which is pretty good.  Both are fairly easy to access, I think.  Harder to get on are Fazio's Flint Hills east in Andover, which is very good, as is Wichita CC, which we restored to the original Diddel design in 2003.

For a kick, I would consider playing some of the country nine holers, some still with sand green last time I checked that haven't changed much in years.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 01:20:40 PM »
In the look but don't touch category you could go by to see Faldo's Cottonwood Hills, near PD. I was in Wichita airport yesterday, and saw photo ads for it. I toured it earlier in dirt and saw some nice things.  If you are touring, you could drop by and see my Newton, Ks project, just south of 50 on the way back from PD.

Colbert Hills two hours north in Manhattan is thought well of by some, including GD who names it as a top college course, and GW, which had it as the top public course in KS last time I looked.  Chisohm Trail in Abliene, just off I 70 is also good, and much more minimalist. Its now owned by Ron Whitten.

In Wichita, the munis are very average.  The best by far is the Perry Dye designed Auburn Hills on the west side of town.,

If you have private club connections, the Morrish Willowbend north of town and Terradyne east of town is a Sechrest Links style course which is pretty good.  Both are fairly easy to access, I think.  Harder to get on are Fazio's Flint Hills east in Andover, which is very good, as is Wichita CC, which we restored to the original Diddel design in 2003.

For a kick, I would consider playing some of the country nine holers, some still with sand green last time I checked that haven't changed much in years.

Thanks for the feedback, Jeff!!!  We were kind of hoping to go someplace right "in line" from Pratt to Great Bend so as to maximize our time to play.  That being said, there ain't a whole lot to choose from in that regards.

We may just end up at one of the Great Bend courses (Lake Barton GC or Golden Belt CC) since my playing partner does not want to spend significant $$$ to play and is not nearly that "hardcore" about where he plays.

Still wish it was PD, but will have to be my next time through...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Lou_Duran

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 01:30:27 PM »
Evan,

I don't know the geography, but Flint Hills is very nice.

Have fun.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 04:56:30 PM »
Evan - The Muni and the Elks Course in Salina are worth the price of admission in my opinion. I don't know if this is out of the way or not, though.  ::)

Travis Ripley

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 11:53:42 AM »
i played in a junior tournament at Tall Grass Club and some other place (can't remember the name--i did 4 putt for a double on a par 5, which may explain the memory block)--they were all right.  both were in Wichita.  Alvamar Hills (the KU course) and Colbert (KSU course) are both solid.      
« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 11:55:39 AM by Clifton Lustre »

Steve_Roths

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 05:42:01 PM »
Here are some pictures of the Faldo course going in near Prarie Dunes:

http://www.cottonwoodhills.net/photogalleries/golfcourse/index.htm

It looks like he screwed this one up.  Those bunkers look horrible.  Kind of like the ones he put in at Chart Hills and that course out in Palm Springs.  Jees, when will these people learn to quit screwing up these great sites.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back