News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

astavrides

crushed seashells as a cart path New
« on: March 17, 2005, 08:49:43 AM »
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 09:43:36 AM by astavrides »

Steve Mann

Re:crushed seashells as a cart path
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 08:51:53 AM »
alex-

if i am not mistaken kittansett uses or used crushed shells for the few paths they have.  that also happens to be the logo of the club.

sm

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 10:42:05 AM »
It's called "coquina" and that's what we use on The Ocean Course.  Works great.  Unlike sand, its much harder to blow around and you can play off it...  Highly recommended...

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 10:43:42 AM »
Every path at The Old Course is made up of sea shells.  

Somewhere in the archives I wrote of the Cheapes' family and their right to harvest the shells from the course. It led to an interesting case.

Mark Brown

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 10:43:53 AM »
Several private courses in the Hilton Head area have paths of hard-packed mixture of coquina shells and sand. They water them and they're in play and work very well, and look much better - that natural thing.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 11:37:31 AM »
A course called Le Portage in Cheticamp, Nova Scotia actually uses these in their bunkers due to wind.

These winds, called the Suête, can easily reach 140 MPH.  

The course managers found that all the sand would be blown out of the bunkers during a Suête.

It was strange, but it actually worked from a playability standpoint.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 11:38:28 AM by Dan Herrmann »

Dave_Miller

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 12:08:40 PM »
just played riverwinds in NJ, which had crushed seashell cart paths.  they end up all over the greens.  not a good thing.  has anyone else encountered this there or at other courses?

Newport National in Rhode Island uses the crushed shells for cart paths.  Other than being somewhat noisy when carts are being driven they seem to work out very well.
Best
Dave

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 12:18:03 PM »
Shell material is not the same from place to place.  The coquina down in S.C. is pretty good ... Pete Dye even used it for some of the waste bunkers at Long Cove originally.

We were going to try this at Barnbougle; there are lots of scallop boats working out of Bridport.  We had a pile of shells delivered to the site, and they stunk so bad, it was hard to be out there for the next month.

Top100Guru

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 12:18:04 PM »
We don't have "Cart Paths" at Secession (walking only) but several of the maintenance roads have the crushed shell surfaces on them. Blends in so nicely with the terrain in the low country, wouldn't you agree Mark?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 05:37:27 PM »
Mike,
It's called "coquina" and that's what we use on The Ocean Course.  Works great.  Unlike sand, its much harder to blow around and you can play off it...  Highly recommended...
I think Coquina is limited to the south.

I believe Hidden Creek and some other courses near the New Jersey shore have used crushed sea shells as a foundation or layer for cart paths or heavily used roadways.

I haven't noticed any of it being tracked onto the greens or the fairways.
[/color]

« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 05:37:53 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 06:02:59 PM »
just played riverwinds in NJ, which had crushed seashell cart paths.  they end up all over the greens.  not a good thing.  has anyone else encountered this there or at other courses?

The easy (smart*ss) answer based on your description would be to tell the players to not drive the carts on the greens, that should solve the problem.  

Seriously does coquina need to compact like sand does?  I recently rode around the new (not yet opened) Panther Creek in JAX.  The newly installed coquina in the waste areas that will be used for cart traffic as well was so soft that the cart damn near got stuck a couple times.  I assume a little rain will cause this to settle/compact just like sand until it is much easier to drive on.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Mark Brown

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 07:32:17 PM »
McConkey III,

Yes, it works well, and Secession might be the easiest course to walk anywhere.

Michael Plunkett

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2005, 10:02:56 PM »
When Archie Struther built Twisted Dune he was looking for something to put on the cart path to make it look natural yet functional with rain/mud or drought/dirt. I remember asking him about sea shells and if I remember correctly nix that idea.  Mud was a problem on the paths- I wish they built or marked a walking path there.  

hick

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2005, 01:34:46 AM »
Carnegie Abbey in Rhode Island uses seashells on cart paths.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back